Glock Talk banner

Non-permissive Carry Environment

3466 Views 56 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  HonkeyFries
Does anyone work and regularly carry concealed in a non-permissive office environment or venue? I don't mean illegally, but in a legal CCW jurisdiction where an individual office, business, or venue frowns upon CCW and would likely toss you out (or attempt to do so) should your firearm be discovered...and no, I don't mean banks, schools, or government facilities. Just curious if folks do and what they carry. :eyelashes:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Here in Texas there are 3 signs that businesses can post that govern whether or not we can carry on their premises. They are 30-06, 30-07, and 51%. The state has strict criteria on the wording and posting of these signs. Any sign that does not follow these criteria carries no weight as far as
Texas law is concerned. However, a business owner can give verbal notice of wanting you to vacate their premises (ie. they find out you’re armed). You do have to comply in that case. In some
instances I’ve run across businesses with improper signage. I simply conceal and walk on in. They
are none the wiser. As an example, I’ve seen signs posted “No guns allowed “. Under Texas law, this is an improper sign and thus carries no weight of law. I of course make no effort to educate them. I’m concealed and legal and they’re none the wiser.

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Guess I should have read the question closer. The place I work at doesn’t allow carry in their parking lot or the building as well. Forbidding the carry of a handgun in their parking lot is not
enforceable under Texas law. Forbidding the carry of a handgun inside their building is enforceable
under Texas law. Carrying in their parking lot would only be a violation of company policy. Unbeknownst to them, a lot of people keep handguns in their glove compartments while at work.

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Fireforged it was a direct response to his question in his above post regarding “company” parking lot. Again I don’t remember the specific case but the finding was that if it was not a controlled access area, i.e. “public access” then such a policy could not be enforced. However, it could be enforced if in an enclosed secured area such as behind a locked gate.
The place I work at does have a policy against carrying in the parking lot. Of course, the Texas
legislature ruled this was not in violation of the law even if the business posted the proper signs
forbidding firearms in their building. A while back we actually had a “flasher” that would show up
in the parking lot after dark and “flash” the female employees. He got a big surprise when a female
employee pulled her .38 and “flashed” back. We had a good laugh. Of course, we were told we shouldn’t be bringing guns into “their” parking lot. After all, this place had security guards. Yeah
Right, a whole helluva lot of good that’s done.

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Here in Pittsburg, I know of one of my stops where there are signs forbidding guns. I simply ignore them and CCW anyway. Haven't been caught yet.
In Texas, unless the posted signs are of the proper size, color, and wording, they have no weight of
law. You can conceal and walk on in. As long as they don’t find out and ask you to leave, you’re fine. As an aside, back in 1996, the first full year of licensed carry in Texas, gun buster signs went
up at the local “Lowe’s”. Many of the people that got their licenses back then were doctors and
lawyers. Those with deep pockets. After a few of them walked into Lowe’s exclaiming they were
planning on spending several thousand dollars on home improvements but would take their business elsewhere, you should have seen how fast those signs came down.

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Looking back at the OP’s original question, it is indeed quite possible to carry in a place of business
that you work at even if said business forbids it. Of course, this is Texas. The Texas legislature
wanted to be certain there was no ambiguity concerning the carrying of firearms in places of business. So ..., it is entirely possible here to be in compliance with the law while violating your employers work policy regarding firearms. The signage has to be exactly to specs, otherwise it
can be ignored. Doesn’t mean they can’t fire you. I don’t carry a firearm to work, just pepper spray.

· Registered
12,392 Posts
Our employee handbook explicitly states that we shall not have firearms at work. Ownership knows I'm a shooter and carry everywhere I go. I was told that I'm trusted and that it would be good to have someone with training in case something happens here. To avoid trouble, I had the owner write a note in that section of my copy and sign it. I then scanned it and have a copy stored in my safe as well as a digital copy stored online.

As an aside, our employee handbook also states that we are not to have firearms stored in our vehicles in the parking lot. That statement alone is illegal in Texas unless the parking lot is at a public school or on property owned by a chemical manufacturer.
Wish I worked for an “enlightened” place like that. Oh well, I can’t complain, I’m semi retired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.