Non-Live Fire Laser Practice

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by bowzette, Feb 20, 2017.

1. bowzette

bowzette

Looks like a better cartridge than Laserlyte and I may get one some day.

2. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I've bought and tried most laser dry fire gizmos. I've got TWO SIRT pistols, the LaserLyte LT-PRO and the LT-PRE, the Laserlyte Laser Target.... and more. My favorite combo is the IR (infrared) SIRT and the LASR app. They all work and have their place.

The one gizmo I'd recommend AGAINST buying: The Coolfire CO2 recoil / laser system. It is expensive and does NOT live up to the promises. It simply doesn't work as advertised. It's a great concept. It's just not ready for prime time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

3. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

I just ordered a SIRT, a NLT version of a G-17 with red and green laser lights.

4. -JCN-

-JCN-

I set up a Glock Airsoft range in the basement. I have a gas blowback G19 and G26. It adds a little more fun into my practice routine and I can work on magazine changes and holster draw to fire.

I have a laser bullet and reset trigger with laser targets, but I got bored with that pretty quickly.

5. bowzette

bowzette

I am toying with the idea of something like a HWS ATP gass blow back Glock like airsoft. How do you "control" the airsoft pellets? Will they penetrate the front side of a cardboard box, not exit the back side so all pellets remain in the box? I was thinking biodegradable pellets may work of in the backyard. But bottom line I don't need bunch of shot pellets making a mess.

6. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I have that one and the infrared version. The advantage of the IR laser is that you can't "chase the dot" or "walk the shot in" to the target when firing multiple sequential shots. A visible laser tends to take your eyes off the sights and to the target (to watch where the hits are landing). With the IR laser (and the LASR software + infrared-capable camera), you can't "cheat" by walking the shots into the "bullseye." The LASR app records the shots for later review.

Another great use for the SIRT pistol (with visible green / red laser) is for teaching shooting newbies. It's an excellent and very effective way to teach new shooters proper and safe gun handling.... sight alignment... sight picture... trigger control... etc... BEFORE going to a live range, where the loud noise can be intimidating to a new shooter and make communication difficult.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Pandaz3 likes this.
  7. bowzette

bowzette

Well back to the drawing board! The SIRT laser is not compatible with the Laser Ammo Interactive targets. The L.A. target does not recognize the SIRT laser frequency. I think the L.A. P.E.T. target will recognize the SIRT frequency. The SIRT trigger is not very "Glock like" and of course there is no recoil so I question the value of multiple shots. I'm thinking of keeping the Interactive Target system and going with a Laser Ammo IR cartridge and racking the slide. If the racking becomes a pain i could get the L.A. reset trigger. There again the three Interactive Targets probably are not that useful racking the slide between shots :-( I'm turning this into a much bigger project than I intended! I like what JNC has but I don't want pellets all over the garage and I can't shoot it in the house. Though one day I may get an airsoft for the backyard and shoot biodegradable pellets. I don't see the value in buying the airsoft and converting it to L.A. laser system. That's pushing $500 and the noise will limit me to the garage and outside.
    Questions:
    JNC and any others- how "Glock like" is the reset trigger? Is there a take-up, break, and reset?
    Any experience with Laserlyte targets and Laser Ammo targets? I gather L.A.S.R software and camera is the best way to go but I just want to get started and if I get into I would look into this later.

8. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Most laser targets require a red laser "shot" to be detected. I just looked back in the thread and saw that you got the red laser SIRT. Hmmm... that's weird.

The value is not having to rack the slide for every single shot. :) The idea is high repetitions of sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger presses... lots and lots of repetitions without having to STOP and rack the slide each time.

Been there. Done that! :) I've bought a lot of these gizmos over the years. I thought the Coolfire Trainer was going to be the "holy grail." NOPE! Not only is it not the holy grail, it doesn't perform as advertised. And, damn it was pricey!

I don't have experience with the $200 reset trigger. That's a lot for a reset trigger. I'd enjoy hearing anyone's actual experience with it. I like my SIRT pistol. I find the trigger "close enough," but I don't think I'm that sensitive to such nuances. And, I like being able to just pick the SIRT up and start pulling the trigger over and over.

PS... I have a Laserlyte Laser Target designed for red lasers, and my IR SIRT works with it! But, it won't work with my green laser SIRT.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Pandaz3 likes this.
  9. bowzette

bowzette

10. PieIsNice

PieIsNice

Just FYI: the Laserlyte Glock barrel does not trigger when using the Dryfiremag.

However, the new Laserlyte barrel is much better than the first gen was.

11. thewitt

thewitt

So the rep lied to me?

12. PieIsNice

PieIsNice

I only know what's in my own heart.

13. bowzette

bowzette

I bought a SIRT pistol-red/red laser and metal "slide". The more I shoot the more I like it. I ordered a Laser Ammo P.E.T target and two Laserlyte Rumble Cans (half price on Amazon). "Shooting" light bulbs is great sport as they really reflect the laser and you know you hit them.

14. Elessar

Elessar

I've been using the iTarget system in my basement and so far it seems pretty good. iTarget incorporates your smart phone into the system to capture hits and report performance.

When I purchased my setup I bought the rifle laser cartridge so I don't yet have the 9mm cartridge for my system. I have the goal of getting the 9mm cartridge to make my system complete and more useful. While accurate, the system doesn't easily accommodate the 100yd zero of my rifle. To compensate for the difference between poa/poi I have adjusted my sights as well as used an adjusted poa for training purposes.

I understand that the system functions by reading the laser light as it impacts the target during the exercise and that some might consider racking the slide a bother while others might consider this an important skill to practice. In any case, the system works well and I can receive immediate feed back on my shooting as well as save the "snapshot" of my target for future reference.

I have incorporated another app that I've downloaded to my phone call SubMOA to my shooting for target grouping analysis.

15. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

This is something that I came across.

It's a bit expensive but they use CO2 and a laser. It's about $400 for a kit. It gives the sensation of recoil with the slide, and a laser projects onto a target.

http://coolfiretrainer.com/

16. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I have one.... with problems yet unresolved. I cannot recommend it. Not yet.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  17. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Oh. That's too bad. It looked promising. What issues do you have? I wanted one...

18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

In short... it doesn't work as advertised. Multiple issues. They now want to work with me on those issues. So, we'll see what happens. Google "Coolfire trainer review."

CDR_Glock likes this.
  19. Mntneer

Mntneer

I've used the Lazerlyte bullet and weighted dummy magazines in my 9mm Glocks for a couple years and it works great. My target is the LaserPET trainer, which is particularly good for working on draw time and accuracy. But with that system, I was racking after each shot so training only could go so far.

Just recently bought the red/red SIRT and it's a huge upgrade. Modified it like all my Glocks with sanding, upgraded sights, and Talon grips. A little light (didn't splurge for the metal slide) but very close in feel to my 17. Trigger is fully adjustable but I'm happy with the slightly heavy factory setting; resistance training. Don't feel like the IR option is needed since I focus on front sight, not the dot. No light switch in my house is safe from double taps!

Like the SIRT pistol so much that I have the SIRT AR bolt on order. Might get the Lazerapp software but Mac support is weak and overly expensive.

20. thewitt

thewitt

Just an update on this.

The Laserlyte Glock barrel works great with the Dryfiremag in my G19. I've also purchased two of the Laserlyte targets.

The only issue with this setup is the laser fires on both trigger pull and trigger release.

I've used this every night now for 30-40 minutes for the last 10 nights.

Batteries are still fine. Everything is working great.