non- harley american motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Archangel, May 4, 2005.

1. Archangel

Archangel

it seems like everyone is obsessed with HD because it is american. sooooo, why aren't there more american motorcyle companies. harley clone custom chopper shops don't count in my book. it seems that confederate motorcyles may be the only game in town, and even they use a evo-type engine if i am not mistaken. of course, i might be mistaken. so am i missing any other american bike companies?

2. Researcher

Researcher

3. stinx

stinx Millennium Member

Victory are US made

4. Archangel

Archangel

i forgot all about victory, i kinda lump buell in with HD, i guess i shouldn't because they are a seperate company. i also found out about panterra, this is an american built bike, but it'll cost ya out the wazoo.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Indian, though I don't know if they are currently in or out of business...again. Ecosse and Confederate although. They use Harley-type V-twin but probably different enough to consider their own and not just choppers. But they do use a lot of foreign parts on their bikes too.

6. kato4moto

kato4moto

Don't completely overlook ATK (in UT). Though most of the bikes utilize Rotax engines (Austrian) and other off-shore parts, they're designed and assembled in the U.S. Oh, and they've also acquired the left-over stock and tooling from Canondale, which is an all-American company (bicycle manufacturer that tried its hand in the dirt bike market but found it more difficult than imagined so they DNFed).

7. Werewolf01

Werewolf01

Don't forget Confederate.

8. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Yup, ATK customizes the setup of each bike specifically for the buyer too (something the big 4 doesn't do). I was hopeful for Cannondale. They had a really good product and were actually catching on big time in the quad (four wheeler to the layman) world. They just ran out of cash. The designs and blue prints of the quad was sold to the Korean scooter comapny Dinli. They are supposed to make an updated 500cc version of the cannondale quad, but no one has seen much from them for about 2 years.

ATK does sell an updated (fixed all the little issues) version of both the cannondale quad and the dirtbike. They just command a little bit more money than most people are willing to spend, that and Honda and Yamaha has since brought out some sweet stuff that can compete with it (and a lot of times beat it).

9. norton

norton

EXCELSIOR HENDERSON!

Oh, yeah, thats right........

INDIAN!

oh, they aren't?

VICTORY!

What, you think Victory is just a harley clone?

CONFEDERATE!

Oh, another Harley clone

HONDA!
    Some of those are built in Ohio. Does that count?

10. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Well I believe the next largest seller of American bikes is Big Dog, which is a custom shop (of sorts). I think they put out something like 8000+/- bikes last year (more than Victory with about 3000 bikes sold). American Iron Horse, Bourget, Vengence, while making custom bikes, produce several thousand bikes each. Ducati and Buell only puts out about 5500 bikes apiece by the way.

There used to be a ton of American companies, pretty much all of them died out for the most part by the 50's, with Indian being the last one to survive. Indian tried again, but couldn't survive the Harley onslaught. Now, outside of custom shops, getting the capital to try to go after a company like Harley (or any of the metric bikes) is tough to say the least! Victory has the deep pockets of Polaris to keep them afloat, or they would've gone the way of the do-do by now as well.

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I wish these american motorcycle companies would realize that they are not going to be able to out-Harley Harley. Why? Because it doesn't say Harley on the badge. That is the only reason.

They need to take a new direction. A good decently competetive american sportbike. By that I mean a thoughrly modern design, (engine too, Buell). I wish Indian would have picked up on this instead of being a Harley wannabe. Indian has a rich history of competetive racing. From flat track to board track, side car, and on and on. They were state of the art when they were in thier hayday. They should have picked up on the essence of that part of thier history, instead of just trying to be a Harley with a slightly less recognizable name. I mean triumph has made good progress by doing just that. I would like an American version of Triumph if you will.

In the end, Harley rider's want a Harley, nothing else.

12. G36.45

G36.45

Many Harley riders...want a Harley....but settle for one of the Japanese Metric clones.

The Metric companies have made Huge inroads into the cruiser scene in the last 5-10 years.

13. jpa

jpa CLM

Victory. I have an appointment to test ride one Saturday afternoon. I'll report back after I'm done. I'm hoping for the 8-Ball or Vegas, but they get to pick for you.

14. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Let us know how the test ride was jpa. I haven't tested one yet, but then I'm pretty happy with my Electra Glide! :)

15. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

My VTX was made in Ohio, and by parts % is more American than an HD.

16. jpa

jpa CLM

I rode the 05 Kingpin. I went to the dealer, he copied my DL, handed over the keys to a $15k bike and said "have fun." 2 hours later I came back sunburnt and grinning ear to ear.

The ride was very smooth. The bike was pretty low to the ground, but I still had plenty of leg room. The drag bars made the ride slightly uncomfortable for me as I'm used to regular cruiser bars, but I got used to them after a while. It handled turns and rougher streets easily. The fuel injected engine was smooth, throttle was responsive and it was super-easy to start. No screwing with a choke like us carbuerated riders are used to. It has a fast-idle switch that only works with the handlebars all the way to the left, but I didn't even need it from a cold start. The one I rode had floorboards with a heel-toe shifter. The boards were nice, but I could definitely do without the heel shifter. I have big feet and it kept getting caught, which caused me to almost miss a couple shifts. I'm sure I could get them adjusted properly and my opinion may be different then.

Overall it was a nice bike and a good ride, but if I were to spend $15k on a bike, I'd be looking at something like a Road King. If Victory and Indian could find a way to compete with the metrics rather than competing with Harley, they'd probably do much better IMHO.

The dealer in question was also an Indian dealer before they went bankrupt this last time. They still service them and have a few leftovers, but other than that, the company is out of business for now. Word is Chris Craft is purchasing the company and has something like $24mil behind their purchase. We'll see how long they stick around this time.

If I could throw away $50k on absolutely nothing, they had a T3 limited edition Indian Chief for $49k. That was a SWEET looking bike.

-jpa

17. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

My Honda Shawdow VLX Deluxe 600 was made in Marysville, Ohio. I guess you can say it was American made.