close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Non-existent trigger safety problem fixed.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Noponer, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Noponer

Noponer

For those shooters who have had no problem with moving the trigger safety sideways & having it bind up... and say that there is no problem....... Well Glock fixed it anyway!

Now, why would they fix a problem that does not exist???:dunno:

Last month, I had the armorers at the Griffin GSSF match replace a trigger bar on a Gen3 G17 because the plating was coming off. The new one has a small bump molded into the top of the safety so that it will hit the top of the trigger slot. Guess what?.... You cannot make the safety bind!.... Yahoo! :cheerleader:

Here's a photo:

[​IMG]

2. SCC

SCC Member Me

I have had them bind up too ...

3. GlockGuyGip

GlockGuyGip

Had that on a G27 of mine, didn't know others were having the same issue

Sent from my G'zOne Commando.

4. brand

brand

I replaced both of my triggers with ones that didn't have the bump.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Thanks for the update. I'll have to check my new stock of G37 trigger bars for that improved trigger safety.

Brand, you may be talking about a different "bump."

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. novasquid

novasquid

are you talking about this little nub circled in red? if so, i have the same thing on my gen4 g19, and i've felt it bind every now and then. i guess it binds a lot worse and much more often without it?

Attached Files:

7. novasquid

novasquid

it was probably my bad form rather than the trigger causing the bind in mine.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Ken, I would have the trigger safety bind occasionally and finally read what the problem was... it's very fixable.

On each side of the trigger safety is a small "nub". Designed to keep the trigger safety in the middle of the trigger.

Well, the "back" of the nub is squared off, so that if you accidentally push the trigger safety sideways as you're pulling the trigger, that square edge will hit the edge of the trigger and that's what causes the binding.

If you will take a teeny tiny file and bevel that rear edge of the nub (it's the leading edge as the trigger safety starts going into the the trigger)... voila, no more binding.

You have to push the trigger safety forward (from the rear) while doing this, but it only takes a minute or so and makes a huge difference. NO more binding.

9. GlockGuyGip

GlockGuyGip

This is true. Good call.

A proper straight back trigger squeeze should never cause binding, but in a "high stress" SD type scenario this could be a problem if your trying to just squeeze out a quick double tap. Hope this never happens to anyone.

10. cciman

cciman

The "bind" happens if the hook on the back of the trigger safety lever goes too far forward, gets exposed, and as you finger the trigger (IF)you put sideways pressure on the lever and the hook catches the side of the slot. IF.. you put enough sideways pressure on the safety lever, when the lever is fully forward, you can actually create a locked trigger condition and not be able to fire the gun.

This happens on a cocked striker condition, and the muzzle is pointed down. To induce this, you can shake the gun with the muzzle down and the lever will fall forward and expose the hook.

My personal remedy is to file the face of the trigger safety lever so when my finger touches it, it is flush with the trigger surface (no purchase to be able to push it sideways). Also eliminates a source of finger blisters.

11. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

It would affect me in competition situations. Fast draws (presentations), trying to get the first shot on target as fast as possible.

For further targets, my trigger press is much more controlled. But when I have a target 5 yards away, I can hit the 'A' zone with simple indexing and much faster trigger presses... which can lead to pushing to the side and binding.

My G30SF was really bad about this, caused me all kinds of grief in GSSF. But not any more. :supergrin:

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I guess they couldn't fix the untrained newbs who buy their guns because they read about them on the internet and saw them in a movie, so changing some small parts that already worked was the best way to keep profits up.

If a guy pulls or pushes the trigger sideways hard enough to bind the trigger safety, you have to wonder what he's hitting anyhow.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  13. Noponer

Noponer

Yeah, Ron - I know about that... & your remedy is what I have always done.

But the new bump I show keeps the "nubs" from getting high enough to catch.

14. Noponer

Noponer

Yes, that's the bump, nub, whatever that I am talking about.

15. Noponer

Noponer

See, Bren... you are one of those shooters who says there is not really a problem.

I am far from being a "newb". I have been shooting most of my 69 years & have owned over 30 Glocks. I have shot USPSA & GSSF for about 20 years now, but sometimes touch the safety a little sideways (as many other do) when placing my finger on the trigger.

By the way, I usually hit what I aim at. Usually.

16. Noponer

Noponer

All this is very true, Jolly.

17. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

You mean that rectangular protrusion on the side of the tip of the trigger safety in this picture, and you bevel the rearward raised edge of that rectangular protrusion?
    [​IMG]

18. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You compete anywhere?
    If so, post a link so we can see how good you are.
    If you don't... then maybe you've never experienced this.
    Here is just my recent GSSF qualifications:
    http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2011/2011csc.pdf
    2cd place in Civilian division (152 competitors) - $100
    2cd place in Competition division - $100
    3rd place in Major Sub - $75

Just a few weeks ago:
    http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2011/2012gga.pdf
    3rd in Civilian Division (339 competitors) - $75
    This is the 2cd largest GSSF match ever. Competitors from all over the south and further. Way more competitors than the previous match, tougher to win.

I also shoot IDPA/USPSA. There are times when the closest target is near enough that a careful sight picture, and slow trigger squeeze isn't as important than if it were further away. And as *speed matters* in competition, it is possible to only press sideways slightly and have the problem.

I'm not sure if it's trigger bar specific, but I seemed to experience this the most (worst?) with my G30SF. It hung up pretty easily until I did the modification I mentioned above.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Yessir. Exactly.

Funny thing (and this is a compliment to you), I figured you'd be the last person to be asking me that. Because if anybody asked, I was gonna say I got it from either you or Bent Biker (because I've actually forgotten where I saw it).

You two most frequently have the best answers on this forum, hands down.

So... you had never heard of this before? As I mentioned earlier, it did wonders for my G30SF, which is where I had the most problems with it. Unless I was SUPER deliberate about finger placement, it wanted to bind.

20. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I've never personally encountered the problem, though I have heard of it. Since I've never experienced it and I've rarely heard about it I never really gave it much thought until now.

Thanks for the info ron59 and Noponer, if I ever encounter this problem I'll know how to fix it.