Nolor Park, Franklin Co PA, NO GUNS sign

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by charliex, Mar 8, 2010.

1. charliex

charliex

I was enjoying the nice weather yesterday at Nolor Park in Franklin County PA (a WONDERFUL park by the way, notwithstanding the below) and was browsing the rules and noticed the following:

The possession of or discharge of and type of firearm .... within the park is prohibited unless authorized by the township.

It is my understanding that localities in PA have no authority to go beyond State law when it comes to where guns may be lawfully carried. I was considering contacting Guilford township and politely asking why this rule is posted when it is clearly unenforceable. Is there any hope that they may take this down or am I wasting my time?

Attached Files:

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

PA has preemption law.

My read of what is on the handgunlaw.us site is that sign regarding firearms is not enforceable. Since I am neither an attorney familiar with PA firearms law, nor a resident of PA, I'll defer to someone with specific knowledge of the subject.

:cool:

3. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

charliex
    Want a quick pay day go and OC there !! Then get a nice fat settlement from the town for violating your rights and PA law! Sometimes stupid people need to learn the hard way!:rofl:

4. charliex

charliex

I called them and the lady answering the phone said somebody had brought it to their attention in January but they failed to follow through on a promise to send them a copy of the law. I wrote a short respectful letter along with a print-out of the exact code from a reputable website so hopefully the rule will be removed from the sign boards. I think it's a ridiculous that a private citizen should need to remind a governing body what the law is especially when it's so unambiguous.

--
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6120

(a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010