Noisy motherboard fan...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zoolander, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

It's the smaller of the two, the green one. What can I do about it? It gets quiet then later it starts humming loud, then it gets quiet again.

2. Zoolander

Zoolander Castrated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the smaller fan, not the CPU fan. What's it for? Can I adjust it or just swap it out? When it gets noisy it sounds like a little tiny chainsaw in there. I put my finger on the fan to stop it and the noise ceases, I let go and it starts again.

3. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

That's the northbridge/chipset heatsink fan. You can probably get a replacement for the whole assembly from another manufacturer. Zalman may even make one without a fan.

Abit will also sell replacements.

http://www.abit-usa.com/abitparts/chipset_fan.php

As always, someone plese correct me if I'm wrong.

John

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Those Abit NB coolers usually don't last longer than six months or so.

They are cheap crap, and are the main reason I do not recommend Abit boards to my clients.

I use a Zalman CPU cooler and this little gem will cool every MOBO component very well.

In fact, you can remove the fan from the NB cooler entirely and the Zalman will still cool it as well with its flowthrough air.

Here's a pic of the big one I use: CNPS7700-Cu, 120mm 913g...
    [​IMG]

5. blake711

blake711 Pro-Fesh-U-Nawl

As was stated above you can get a replacement from Abit. You can get a Zalman or you can remove it and put a heat sink on it.. I personally like my pcs as quiet as possible so I removed my northbridge fans and went to Heat sinks when they start acting up.. As for the ABIT boardes they rock I have used all the higher end stuff and stick with them.. Thats all I try to use anymore.. As for northbridge fans.. They all fail on every manufactures boards, So don't sweat that.. Below are a couple links to a heatsink replacement for the North Bridge on your board..
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-214&depa=0 or http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e...=category/op=eq/se=Motherboard Heatsinks.html

6. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I've only built one machine, and the board I picked didn't have a northbridge fan, just a heatsink. It was an ASUS A7N8X.

Just for my information, roughly what percentage of boards have a fan?

Thanks.