NOE M dies cause Glock bulge cure

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Wheeljack, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wheeljack

Wheeljack

I hope it's a cure. I like the M dies or expanders. I use them in my Lee single stage press. I had to use a spacer to get the correct depth of the M expander for my 9mm shells in my Lee dies. But, then I noticed that the die was putting a bulge in the shell. It seems the expander is too long. So I made it shorter and that seems to work. I ground the end of the M die making it narrower and the bulge was gone. Do you think this will work out OK?
    I ground off the area marked in red on the M expander, in the picture. The arrows point to the area where the bulge appeared.
    upload_2018-1-25_21-10-58.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Taterhead likes this.
  2. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

That should do it. I did a similar thing (had a friend do it, actually) with an RCBS expander since it was reaching too far into the case. Shortened it a hair and re-radiused it. Right diameter. Too long. Now it extends into the case to the depth of the heal of the boolit.

Curious, did you order the auto pistol expander plug? I was under the impression that they were shorter than the standard plug.

The NOE M plugs are a great solution. I like that you can get many of the 'tweener sizes.

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I’ve had excellent luck with Lyman M die; just wish there was a dillon powder thru version.

4. DWB57

DWB57

What does the noe m plugs and the Lyman m die do compared to the Dillon powder thur expander? I've been loading my 9mm wirh the Dillon powder expander for years with no problems.

5. Wheeljack

Wheeljack

Good. I wasn't sure if it would work. I guess it does. I use 147gr bullets in my 9mm shells so they often go deep. The expander plug was under the pistol section. The label read: Exp. Plug 358 x .354. My other "plugs" do have a (P), but I did order under the pistol list.

6. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

You might have received the revolver version. They do have a (p) in that size. Yoir solution should work just fine though.

7. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

andy16, DWB57 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  8. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

The M style expanders (Lyman, Noe, and current RCBS handgun) have two radii. The first radius expands the interior of the neck, not unlike a powder through expander or standard handgun expander.

The second radius expands the case mouth. Instead of a bell shape, it makes a square cup that does two things: 1) it helps set the bullet straight, and 2) it works the case mouth very little. If you go even deeper with the RCBS die, it changes shape again to a taper like a standard handgun expander. Gives the option to turn out the edge of the case mouth further if you want.

The nice thing about RCBS and NOE expanders is that you can typically get a plug that has slightly more diameter for setting a wider neck interior diameter for loading cast bullets. Cures the problem of a narrow neck diameter swaging cast bullets. RCBS calls the larger size "Cowboy". NOE has plugs of many sizes, and they work with the Lee Universal expander die.

I have a couple Lyman expanders, but I'm not sure if Lyman has the + diameters like RCBS or NOE. I use my Lymans for jacketed bullets.

[​IMG]

See the second radius. Hard to see, but .403" band slightly larger than the shank. It is that small step up in diameter between the shank and bell.

The plug on the right is a standard plug for 10mm/40. .397". The one on the left is a "401 Cowboy". The shank is . 399". Perfect width and length for 200 grain cast bullets in a 10mm case. A little long for a 180 in a 40 case, so i had one shortened.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. Wheeljack

Wheeljack

Taterhead likes this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

I had a friend grind one for me, he is a professional grinder, but uniqutek sells sort of an M.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1582

andy16 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  11. fredj338

fredj338

M expanders allow the bullet to sit dead straight in the case for seating. A better mousetrap than a bell or flare.

DWB57 and Taterhead like this.
  12. unclebob

That is what the Double alpha does it's used with the Mr Bullet feeder. Plus it's a powder thru die used with progressive presses. Kind of hard to use the others on a progressive.

DWB57 likes this.
  13. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

For those of us that use a rotary drum style powder dispenser, works just fine on a progressive. M die in station 2. Uniflow in 3 (has funnel only so doesn't expand). Seat and crimp in 4 and 5. I load 7 different cartridges with M dies on my progressive.

I'd imagine a 650 could be setup the same if using an RCBS or Hornady dispenser, but I don't know the 650 that well.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    DWB57 likes this.
  14. DWB57

DWB57

I use a 550 so it looks like I would have to get one from double alpha I do have trouble with bullet tipping depending on the bullet. They sure are proud of them I don't see why they are so expensive when a hole set of dies are about that price lol. Thanks for the info guys.

15. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Do you know if the UniqueTek funnel is a significant improvement over the MBF funnel in terms of release smoothness?

16. fredj338

fredj338

No idea, I had mine custom ground. Sorry.

17. unclebob

I think the Uniquetek and the Alpha Delta are the same. Could be wrong. If you have a lathe or know someone. I seen the measurement a long time ago somewhere online on how to take them. 3 friends of mine had it done when another friend had access to a lathe. I was too late for the party so I had to buy the Alpha Delta.

18. Troy Mesa

Troy Mesa

Taterheads explains it best. I have the NOE expanders for all my pistol uses since I cast my own. The second shoulder is designed for setting the bullet straight while loading. I have multiple expanders for each caliber for fine tuning. For jacketed I dont expand the cases. I only use the NOE for cast bullets. Once loaded I use the EGW ammo checker to verify they will chamber in my pistols. I throated my EGW ammo checker so I can make sure my cast loads will match my barrels that have been throated as well.

19. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Good info, do you know when RCBS started that?

I have the M die and have had to make some
    because of different sizes I needed.

20. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I'm not really sure. At least 5 years as far as I can tell, but they don't advertise it. I like that RCBS has the upsized "Cowboy" plugs that make an inexpensive retrofit for cast bullet loading. I've swapped those in the cartridges that I load cast bullets: 10, 40, 38, and 45 Colt. The 401 Cowboy is a hair long for 40, so I had a friend take a smidge off the length and re-contour.

happie2shoot likes this.