No vest?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by A6Gator, Feb 8, 2010.

1. A6Gator

A6Gator

I heard about this one just today. Apparently the BG is DRT, but our guy caught a couple. My understanding is that he didn't have a vest.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=11951265

Crenshaw police officer injured in shooting, kills suspect
    Posted: Feb 08, 2010 11:34 AM CST
    Updated: Feb 08, 2010 11:34 AM CST

CRENSHAW, MS (WMC-TV) - A Crenshaw police officer was shot late Sunday night while searching for a suspicious person inside a woman's home.

Police said the shooting happened after a woman in Crenshaw arrived home from work just after 11:00am, to find the lights in her home were not working. The woman, suspicious that her ex-boyfriend might be in the house, called the police.

The woman told police she was afraid her ex-boyfriend wanted to kill her. When a police officer arrived and entered the home, a person inside opened fire. The officer, who was shot twice, returned fire and killed the suspect.

The officer, identified as Sean Shelton, was airlifted to The MED in critical condition. Late Monday morning, Shelton's mother told Action News 5 her son was awake and talking to his family.

Officials have not identified the suspect who shot at Shelton and was killed.

The Panola County Sheriff's Department and the Mississippi Highway Patrol are investigating.

2. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I hope:

a) he was wearing his vest
    b) that he pulls through and recovers fully
    c) the family and department get back to normal ASAP

3. Napalm561

Napalm561

:agree:

If there are any officers out there that dont have a vest, or your department cant afford to buy you one, check into a few of the places that donate body armor to officers. There should be no excuse for not wearing one.

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I'll be the first to admit that back in the day, sometimes I will skip on the vest because it was like wearing an insulated cardboard box packed in foam... nowadays with the new comfort technologies, it's a minor inconvenience to wear one and it's always better to sweat than bleed.

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

There is never an excuse for not wearing a vest when in uniform.

6. A6Gator

A6Gator

A follow-up story:

Small-Town Officer Shot, Kills Suspect
    Shaun Chaiyabhat
    6:36 PM CST, February 8, 2010

FAST FACTS:
    Panola County Sheriff''s Office, MS Bureau Of Investigations looking into shooting
    Officer shot twice
    Suspect has long violent criminal history

(Crenshaw, MS) A small town police officer is recovering after being shot in a gunfight that killed a suspect.

The 32 year-old father of six is being called a hero and is being credited for saving a woman's life.

Around 10 o'clock Sunday night, Panola County Sheriff's Office Investigators say Officer Sean Shelton drove to a rural Mississippi home after a woman who had been recieving death threats from her ex-boyfriend said her power had been shut off at her home after work. Officer Shelton walked into the home, and was met by a barrage of gunfire from the ex-boyfriend who had been hiding inside the woman's home. Two bullets hit Officer Shelton, one in the abdomen and another grazed his face. Officer Shelton returned fire, and killed the suspect, Lawrence Richardson.

"That is brave of him," says Barbara Green, who lives next door to the shooting scene. "Glad he's okay."

The woman who was the suspect's target says she's thankful to be alive, thankful for the officer and is praying for his speedy recovery.

As he remains at The Med listed in fair condition his mother, Bennie Shelton-Thomas, says she's blessed her son is alive. "He's a policeman in the true sense of the word," she says. "He takes his job very seriously."

7. Officer X

Officer X

I wear my vest whenever I go out on patrol.

When I am stuck riding the desk as the watch commander, I go without.

Sadly, we still have several guys, a few of them younger with under 10 years on, who do not wear one. They have them, but I guess they feel they're uncomfortable.

Our PBA has a vest fund that helps officers with initial issues and then replacements. I used the stipend they give and added my own money to upgrade to a better vest. The department does not have a mandatory wear policy because that way they open the door for the argument of if you're going to mandate, you have to buy it for me.

8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I would like to say that any agency that does not provide vests for ALL of it's personnel is WAY behind the times....Your council needs to get their heads out of their rectums...

9. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Sounds like a vest isn't the only protection he doesn't like to wear!

:rofl:

I kid, I kid; good job on the coppers part and good riddance to the scroat.

Hope the copper recovers fast.

10. Officer X

Officer X

I agree.

The town used to issue vests up to the mid 90's and had a policy that they had to be worn by uniformed officers on duty. Then they had a few officers who had issues and "medical reasons" for not wearing them. One officer (who is since retired) even threatened a law suit for the policy, so it was dropped.

Now the officers buy their own and the PBA also helps with our vest fund. We still have about 6-8 officers who either wear them only part of the time and a couple who won't wear one at all.

The township would probably look at it as a contract issue now and at roughly $500 each for a department of 85+ officers, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do the right thing.

11. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Would you be in PA or somewhere in the Northeast???

12. Officer X

Officer X

The great state of New Jersey....:crying:

13. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Shouldn't a uniform shirt that looks right in a vest look sloppy and feel uncomfortable without it?

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Nope. My shirts are only slightly bigger without the vest under it. If you tailor it right, and you don't have the super bulky old vests, it should be fine.

15. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

Has anyone heard an update on Officer Shelton's condition? I have not been able to find anything.

Crenshaw is a very small town in the Delta (northwest corner) area of Mississippi. There are a lot of very small, rural towns in MS that only have 3 - 5 Officers (sometimes, just a single officer) in their department. Oftentimes, those Officers are required to self-purchase every piece of their equipment. It is not unusual to see Officers in those areas not wearing vests. A very sad situation.
    Gonzo

16. ottomatic

ottomatic

It was said that he was hit in the abdomen. Much of that area is not covered by a vest, so there is no confirmation that he wasn't wearing a vest.

17. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Except when you just flat cant afford it. I've worked at 3 different depts now, and only one of them supplied vests, and that was only after they were donated some retired vests from another agency. I was fortunate enough to take care of the point blank officer program this summer, where they offered brand spankin new, custom fit, IIIa vests + carriers for $250. If it weren't for that I'd still be wearing a 7 year old IIa vest. There are plenty of officers out there who aren't as fortunate as I and was able to afford a vest..

18. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

WHAR?

(I'm 0802)

We have a policy that they must be worn by officers "not assigned to Hq duty" and are issued/replaced by the department.

I think we are finally at the point where everyone in patrol (about 40 guys) wears them.

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Can you afford to buy more than one gun? Danner or other top-line boots? A flashlight other than a Mag 3-D? Extra or special patrol car equipment? Most of the guys I see and hear from who work at low-paid, small departments can afford all of those things; your case might certainly be different. If you really can't afford to pay up front for one, consider using credit or a personal loan. Your life is too important to not wear a vest. In modern law enforcement, anyone in uniform not wearing a vest is 30 years behind the times. Might as well give up the handheld radio, OC and computers too.

20. Officer X

Officer X

(1511)