Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outposts promise protection and a year’s supply of food for those unable to build their own bunker. “We are a large survival community that can keep members spread out (virus protection) have sufficient size to deter/defeat marauder attacks and raise crops/livestock.” it says.

Through memberships and his own cryptocurrency called “Fortitudes,” Miller has raised about $400,000 and established a ranch in West Virginia and Colorado with 10 others planned. An open house at the West Virginia ranch is scheduled for April 21-23.

He said that for the West Virginia ranch, “most members are professional Washington area folks. They don’t have time to do this own their own.” The cost is about $1,000 per person per year to join.

Each camp is expected to house 50-500 in a crisis and Miller said they will have lodges, underground bunkers and guard towers. In the event of a social meltdown, members will be responsible for manning those towers. Each camp has a shooting range.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...icial-washington-flocking-to-doomsday-camps-1

·
Registered
31,690 Posts
Who's going to the open house?

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
Who's going to the open house?
Not me, ... unless there's a 'complimentary' opportunity to vet their range facilities and, ya know, exercise my 2A rights for a day or three. :whistling:

Reactions: Atomic Punk

·
Huge Member
11,241 Posts
Interesting concept. Basically selling SHTF insurance.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Interesting concept. Basically selling SHTF insurance.
Memberships of all types are big business, however, when shtf what guarantee would you have that they actually "deliver" what they promised?

Do you want to be in a group of people who could pay but otherwise didn't have the skill or interest to do it themselves. I personally wouldn't want to take care of anyone that wasn't my immediate family. Go camping with your friends and it's quick to see who's a burden and who's not. Most people are burdens!

·
probably on theboresite.com right now.
3,994 Posts
these type of facilities have been around for decades.
it is more socially acceptable to advertise and cater to a different economic group now.

the question has always been if you`r an urban/suburban person how do you get to a rural or remote secure area in a SHTF scenario safely.
and also spending you`r survival time with people who are unknown,un-vetted and unprepared may be questionable.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
I found that very interesting but I have some problems with it.
1-I really don't understand cryptocurrencies but I do understand that only a fool bets money when he does not understand the rules of the game. :fred:
2- They like log buildings because they are better than frame building in some ways. In a serious SHTF situation a concrete dome or an ICF structure is more fireproof and is better protection against small arms fire.
3- I was not impressed by the treehouse guard towers or other defensive points. They look like feel good defenses that would be die in place positions in a real fight. Are those positions bulletproof? What is the plan to reduce a total head and upper torso exposure? Real defensive positions should be very carefully planned like the last real castles or a Vauban star fort(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastion_fort).

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
You'd think they would at least use sandbags. Doesnt take all that much to stop any kind of rifle or pistol round.

Also doesn't take much of a rifle or pistol round to rip right through wood.

·
Huge Member
11,241 Posts
On the other hand, you basically have a place to put up a cabin with some like minded people around you. Chances are you are never going to need to shelter there but in the mean time you have a place to go if needed and play, shoot etc the rest of the time. If you had the money would you just buy a cabin in the woods or would you buy into a community?

As for shelter I suppose you could build whatever you want. I am in the process of adapting a house plan to ICFs (insulated concrete form) for a cabin on my hunting property. ICFs are bullet, weather and fire proof. They are are also very energy efficient and you can put any kind of exterior on them.

·
Premium Member
26,027 Posts
I looked at piece of ground few yrs back. River, steep hill nearby (underground structures that would NOT need pumps, sewage disposal...). Figured hydro for electric, cabins up top, shelters below basements... It's 3/4 mile from gravel road... Plus I own it.

But I don't feel need to spend money, time on such things.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would imagine it's very much like a gym membership...you sell a buncha memberships knowing full well only a small percentage will get used. I would guess that in a true disaster the percentage rate of members making it there would be a lot less than 100%.

·
Huge Member
11,241 Posts
The biggest issue with places like that isn't outside catastrophes that destroys it. It is internal politics and personality clashes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My other concern with this is that it COULD be a huge pyramid scheme.

Think about it, you buy a piece of property with your last dollar. Then you sell stakes in it with the promise that your customers can come use it when the zombies invade. So, you hold up your end; you use that money to pimp it out and outfit it for the zombie invasion. You post pictures of all of your gear and buildings and all of the 'work' that you've done, which in turn, will attract even more customers. You end up with a really nice setup, all set and read to go. All the food and ammo and solar panels you could ever wish for. Then, when the zombies come and your customers show up to hunker down, you just tell them 'No, go away' and lock the doors.

So basically, you're getting your customers to fund your own survival camp. I mean, really, what's to stop the 'owner' from doing that? How can you force your way in? What are you going to do, call a lawyer?

It's like the private companies that run airplane/helicopter evacuation services in Florida. You pay them $500 a month retainer to come get you if there is a hurricane, but there's no way to guarantee that they actually will come get you when you call them

·
Registered
31,690 Posts
If it were a pyramid scheme the last place as the owner I would be in SHTF is actually at the camp. I'm not going to try to turn away dozens of armed members lol.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
I don't like it for two simple reasons:

(1) the up-front cash outlay, which might be better spent in your own retreat laying back supplies - food, water, ammo, et al;

and (2) there are just too many moving parts.

Any reasonably likely SHTF event, especially an extreme one (grid totally down), already has too many moving parts over which you have NO control.

All this plan does - for cash up front - is introduce extra variables with nothing else than the owner's word that everything will work out.

Sorry, not going to this Post-Apoc Party, ........ I'd rather risk being Mad Max (i.e., on my own).

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When you see the word “community” might as well pencil in the word rules.

A Survivalist by his very nature should be a non conformist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
If it doesn't work out, the promoter can sell time shares in condominiums!

40 years ago, I took a series of classes from a guy who was considered a guru of wilderness survival. He didn't die in combat, as a result of an earthquake, or a riot. He died of disease - as most of us will eventually. He excellently planned for his bugout, complete with motorcycle/a couple of hides on the way/a final destination. When I looked at the destination set up, it was clear that no one was going to live off the land/farm. There was no housing or water for his family as well.

About 15 years ago, I was up in the High Sierras. A retired USMC Lt. Col. lived there with his wife and a bunch of young marines worked the farm that was inaccessible by road for a few months every year. I am sure that he is dead now. However, it was a minimum 60 mile drive to the nearest doctor or hospital.

If someone wants to spend his or her money that direction, that is fine. That person will most probably not have the skills to survive in his or her retreat environment.

You will make a lot of choices and decisions in your life - some good, some bad, and some just waste money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts