No Sound!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Glock13, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Glock13

Glock13

My hard drive crashed and I had a new one installed. However, now I am not getting any sound out of my speakers. When I bring up the volume control for windows XP, I get the message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware". I'm assuming something is disconnected inside and it is not a software problem. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.

2. MLM

MLM

By saying your harddrive crashed, to me, you're implying you also did a format/install.
    I would say that you may need to download a driver for your sound card.
    Just a guess.

3. Glock13

Glock13

I tried searching for a new driver. But Windows said no better driver is currently available. If I go into Device Manager and click on the properties, it says "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)."

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Code 10: This code means that the device failed to start (for example, it is missing or is not working properly). To resolve this error code, make sure the device is attached to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are plugged into their slots fully

6. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Who manufactures your motherboard? go to thier website and download the sound drivers for that particular motherboard.

7. MLM

MLM

When you say your harddrive crashed, did you replace it with a new one?
    If so you might of jiggled something loose in the changeout. Like Washington says, first check the device itself; cables, plugs, firmly seated, etc.
    It is rare that Update Driver fails to find a driver that'll work.