GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Started shooting in late 2017 with pistols and currently only own pistols. I have no long guns of any kind. So, I’m thinking about a rifle though I don’t really have a use for it. It would be a range gun and maybe home defense.

An AR or tactical shotgun seem like fun options. Not sure about the different ones currently available or costs and ammo availability.

I shoot some USPSA so a more practical option would be a PCC since I’m focused mainly on 9mm pistols. Anyone been down this road? If so, what did you choose?
If you’re going to own a rifle then get a rifle.

no point in wielding a gun that’s as big as a rifle but shoots an anemic handgun round.

buy a Ruger AR556 or SW M&P Sport 2 of you don’t want to spend big dollars.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Started shooting in late 2017 with pistols and currently only own pistols. I have no long guns of any kind. So, I’m thinking about a rifle though I don’t really have a use for it. It would be a range gun and maybe home defense.

An AR or tactical shotgun seem like fun options. Not sure about the different ones currently available or costs and ammo availability.

I shoot some USPSA so a more practical option would be a PCC since I’m focused mainly on 9mm pistols. Anyone been down this road? If so, what did you choose?
I have had firearms since I was 21... I never thought of having a rifle of any kind, never needed it. I always figured if you can't fix it with a sidearm then give up. This is INHMO, same as if you can't take care of an issue with 15 or 17 rounds give it up put your gun down and hope for the best.

·
Scottish Member
11,221 Posts
You could use a PCC in USPSA, IDPA and steel challenge.

If you reload, the PCC is just as cheap/easy to load for as, well, a pistol; the rifle caliber carbine isn't as easy or cheap. Even if you don't reload, a pistol caliber is going to be a less expensive than a rifle caliber.

I assembled a .300 AAC and as it turned out, it really wasn't what I wanted for most shooting. The PCC is one of my most used firearms. I chose a MPX SBR. When I bought it, I could buy it for about what I could assemble a Angstadt blowback based PCC. (not including the NFA stamp or stock).

There are advantages and disadvantages for home defense compared to a rifle caliber carbine or a shotgun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would get a ruger 1022 and build your own AR. Buy a completed lower and replace grip and trigger. Then build your own upper or purchase a completed nice upper. If no rifle then you cannot beat the ruger 1022. Entry rifle and small game hunter. Easy to feed it too. Then get AR. If building take your time and get quality products. Hopefully by then ammo will be available and for decent prices.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Would anyone take a handgun to a gunfight if they also could choose a shotgun or a battle rifle? It's your life on the line...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have no long guns of any kind. So, I’m thinking about a rifle though I don’t really have a use for it. It would be a range gun and maybe home defense.

Anyone been down this road? If so, what did you choose?
I was in the same situation last year, and all of my pistols are 9mm glocks.

I bought a PCC Wilson Combat AR-9G which runs 9mm glock mags all day long, and a Remington 870 12ga. I only have one caliber of ammo to keep, and any of my mags will fit any of my guns (except the 12ga)... No regrets at all.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts