No reloads???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cfr, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cfr

cfr

Greetings. I'm buying my first Glock tomorrow (22, Gen 4), and have seen a few threads online about not using reloads in Glocks due to an unsupported chamber.

I've also seen something saying that was only for ealrier verions, but it's now OK.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

Firing reloaded ammunition will not harm you Glock in any way so long as you don't exceed pressure specifications for caliber ammunition you're using.

Glocks do have an unsupported barrel but it's only a problem when you're loading rounds over specs. This is a dangerous thing to do on any firearm but having an unsupported barrel can cause bad things to happen earlier as the case can blow out at the unsupported region.

In other words don't be stupid and you'll have no problem with reloads through your Glock. But Glock, like every other manufacturer I'm aware, will not warranty your gun if they find out you used reloads.

3. GuySDS

GuySDS

Most of the guys that shoot production Glock in IPSC reload, I reload and shoot glocks. Good to go with reloads.

4. Lothar

Lothar Noob

don't use lead... must be jacked or plated do to polygonal (sp?) riflling.

5. AZson

AZson

If been using reloads for years now. They work fine. Just make sure you know who and how they been reloading. Factory reloads from the gun shows work great.

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

As long as the reloads meet SAMMI specs they will work fine. It's a CYA thing from Glock. A lot of firearms have this warning.
    I have shot a lot of reloads thru Glocks!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I own a couple of Glocks that have never had a factory round through them.

8. kshutt

kshutt

If you are shooting reloads in a stock Glock barrel, DO NOT SHOOT LEAD BULLETS! ONLY shoot plated or FMJ bullets, and you're good to go!

Good Shooting! :cool:

9. mboylan

mboylan

Glocks do have looser chambers. So, if you are shooting full power .40 loads, don't expect your brass to last that long. If you load 180 gr bullets to about 950 fps with something like TiteGroup, your brass will last a long time.

10. andyo5

andyo5

Buy a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket barrel if you want to shoot lead bullets.

11. zeker2

zeker2

My G23 gets a steady diet of my reloads. I will not shoot anything that is not factory or ammo that I have personally reloaded.

I have found that brass once fired from the Glock feed unreliably in other .40's I own, therefore I keep Glock brass separated and dedicated for Glock use only.

12. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have over 4000 reloads thru my 19 & 23.

13. frogger42

frogger42 Don't Panic!!

The warning in the manual was written by lawyers, not gun guys. You can use reloads, but be careful of the pressures. As others have said, the unsupported chamber of the Glock makes it more likely to have issues if you load a round over pressure and out of spec. Also, the polygonal barrel does lead up much faster than a standard, rifled barrel. You can use lead bullets, but if you do so, clean it well when you are done. Personally, I'd only use FMJ ammo for reloads. If you really want to use lead, use an aftermarket rifled barrel.

14. cfr

cfr

Are these fully supported? Would I then be able to use ammo with higher pressures with less fear of a KB?

15. cfr

cfr

Whats wrong with them?

16. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Cfr: As Zeker 2 says the fired brass from a Glock barrel will swell more when fired due to the Glock barrel having a somewhat larger chamber thus when you try to run the reloaded cartridge in other than a Glock barrel you may have trouble with it feeding unless the other barrel has the same size chamber, I ran into the same situation as he did and used the same solution.

Zeke

17. prospero1919

prospero1919

Good to know - i will be loading .40 soon w/ titegroup

18. AustinTx

AustinTx

Some folks don't think that's necessarily true.

19. zeme05

zeme05

Alot of BS on here. I have shot 1000's of lead reloads thru my gen 2 G23. I only shoot my own reloads, would not shoot anyone elses.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  20. timbob

timbob

The adverse effects caused by shooting reloads in your Glock will not be obvious after thousands of rounds, until you blow your **** up from it. Then it's painfully obvious.

I smoke cigs every day, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you it has absolutely no adverse effects on my body.

It's a choice of mine to smoke, as it is a choice of others to shoot reloaded ammunition. Most wouldn't take their chances smoking-- I won't take my chances shooting reloads =]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010