No popcorn in movies? I dont like granola....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Mar 17, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article7064680.ece

Sony chairman Michael Lynton calls for healthy alternative to popcorn in cinemas

For many, a night out at the movies would not be complete without the sound of popcorn and chocolate wrappers from the stalls. One of the most powerful studio bosses in Hollywood, however, would like to see cinemas selling healthier snacks.

Michael Lynton, chairman and chief executive of Sony Pictures, says that audiences would be better off nibbling on granola bars, fruit salad, yogurt and vegetable crudités with dips. “I can almost imagine the Romans eating popcorn and drinking Coke at the Colosseum 2,000 years ago,” he told a convention of cinema owners in Las Vegas. “But by bringing healthier snacks into your concession stands you would be helping our country meet an urgent public health need.”

The average cinema bucket of buttered popcorn has 76 grams (2.6oz) of fat — the equivalent of six McDonald’s cheeseburgers — and 1,100 calories.

Behind Mr Lynton’s call is an awareness of obesity on both sides of the Atlantic. Last month Tim Smith, the chief executive of the Food Standards Agency in Britain, called for filmgoers to be told how many calories there are in the popcorn, ice cream and fizzy drinks that they buy in cinemas and for them to be available in smaller portions.

However, Mr Lynton admitted that old habits might die hard. “I don’t think giant tubs of spinach or broccoli is a good idea. And nobody wants to eat cauliflower while watching Spider-Man, or drink a 40oz cup of prune juice,” he said.

He did not, he said, intend to “close the window for popcorn, soda and candy” but items such as baked crisps and unbuttered, air-popped popcorn, would enhance the choice. “I’m just talking about adding some healthier items to what you already sell.”

Deirdre Flynn, spokesman for the Popcorn Board, a non-profit organisation funded by US popcorn processors, said: “If you ask most consumers what they consider the number one movie snack, they will tell you it’s popcorn. Popcorn and movies have gone hand in hand since the early 1900s.”
    The Alliance for a Healthier Generation, started by the former President Clinton, and the American Heart Association to fight childhood obesity offered to advise on nutritious menus.

2. Bruce H

Bruce H

With the quality of films everybody should stay out of theaters. Hike nature trails, watch congress and get really upset. Do things that matter.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You ever look at the label on some Granola? Most is worse than popcorn.

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

What is wrong with offering healthier snacks? I doubt they'd make money on it, but it's worth a shot.

5. kahoys

kahoys

Popcorn. I only go to the theater for a chance to taste this delight. If I was to walk into a theater and the popcorn machine was down I would leave as its more important to me that the movie itself.:faint:

6. area727

area727 G23

I'm the same exact way. :supergrin: I'll let my wife pick the movie (ok, not every time)...as long as I get my popcorn.:popcorn: Edit: I dont add the extra butter.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

Just avoid the horrible fake butter they pour on it, popcorn in and of itself is a pretty healthy snack...

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Why is this news? Try it. if it makes money it's a smart move. If it does not make money it's not a smart move.

It's a business decision, not a news item. Holy cow sometimes I wonder what people are thinking.

not the OP, the writer of this.

9. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

The popcorn has like a thousand percent mark up. For them to sell something else thats healthy. You are just plain priced out of range. Unless you like paying more for a drink at the movies than you pay for a beer at a nudy bar. Including cover charge.:shocked:

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Nothing, except it's not what the folks who come to movies want by and large. You know, the customers. Some places still actually try to give folks what they want instead of what you demand they have.

Isn't America great?

11. hpracing007

hpracing007

Thanks for the mental picture! :alex:

12. devildog2067

devildog2067

So if the movie theaters try it, and no one buys the "healthy" food, then they stop. Personally, I'd love to be able to eat something other than that disgusting popcorn covered in butter-flavored hydrogenated coconut oil.

Isn't America great?

13. sarge83

sarge83

Why don't you damn food nazi's take a hike. Geez! If I want to eat popcorn at the movies with salt and butter what business is it of yours?

There is no worse a tyrant than a self-righteous, do-gooder who thinks they are only looking out for you. These people are relentless because they cannot see the wrong they are doing, all in the name of good.

If they have their way we will look like the twisted world of Dr.Cocteau in the old Stalone movie Demolition Man. Any thing not good for you is bad, hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat . . .

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Who said anything about making ANYTHING illegal?

Seriously folks, what is wrong with some of you?

A man says “I’m just talking about adding some healthier items to what you already sell.”

You respond "EVIL BASTARD FOOD NAZI WANTS TO MAKE POPCORN ILLEGAL!"

You guys sound like gun grabbers. React to the facts, not what your emotions tell you.

15. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

You already have that choice. Eat what they serve, bring your own, or don't go. Why is it that my popcorn has to be stopped to perhaps add what you may desire? What's "wrong" about having both and letting each customer decide what they want? But no, we just have to make them eat what we want them to eat. Like so many others today, you seem to feel having what you want and not allowing others the same option is just fine, as long as you get what you want. America? Not hardly.

It's a mark of an unsound mind that seeks to promote their, and their desires alone.............above all others, IMO.

And no, your America isn't so "great".

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

Every movie theater I know of bans food from outside being brought onto the premises. So no, you don't have that choice. I generally just don't eat anything.

NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT STOPPING POPCORN. Find me a place in the original article, or any of the comments I posted, where that is discussed as a possibility.

Absolutely nothing. That would be why the guy said
    Despite three comments by me, you still apparently have failed to read the man's words.

You also apparently failed to read MY words:

Where do I say ANYTHING about "not allowing" others any options? Answer: I don't.

In my America, people read things, and process information before they make comments so they don't look like idiots. I suppose that might be a foreign land for you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Nothing wrong with offering healthier snacks as an option, just don't kill the good ones. Let the market decide. He's not talking about ending popcorn, just making healthier additions.

I mean, its not as though people eat 3 meals a day at the theater. Nothing wrong with splurging on some unhealthiness on a night out.

Personally, I'm a little more upset about the "No Weapons" stickers prominently placed on the entry doors of my local AMC Palace Theater.

18. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Didn't mean to rock you back on your heals so badly there.

I've never, and I mean never seen where someone who wants another to do as they want, yet still "allows" them to have what they indeed desire for a short time, that what the people want doesn't disappear in short order by that persons dictates. It's the very process our own govt uses to placate us now.

You know what is offered in the way of snacks by movies, you either go or you don't. So they "don't allow outside food", you ever heard of someone being kicked out because they sneaked in a fruit cup in their pocket? I haven't. But that's assuming you desire a fruit cup so much as to sneak one in.

I have no doubt this is only the precursor to the desire of mine to have popcorn being eliminated, as is always the case in such things.

But hey, as long as you get what you want.......I'm tickled to death.

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

Do you listen to yourself?

Yes, government registration of firearms should be resisted because it is a likely first step to confiscation.

A Sony executive saying "we should sell healthy things ALONG WITH popcorn and candy" hardly falls into the same category. If you cannot see the difference I doubt that I can help you.

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

THIS!!! :milestone::rock::bowdown::bowdown: