Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ballistol is. I love me the smell of oils, cleaning oils, lubricants, solvents, etc.

BUT BALLISTOL JUST SMELLS LIKE... SOME SORT OF BAD FART.

I always used gun oils and if really dirty, bore cleaners, but I got my suppressor today, shot it a bunch, and it was filthy dirty (carbon was actually forming ridges inside my Silencerco Sparrow 22). Got me some Ballistol for the first time for my AR-15, decided to use it on the Sparrow, and when I sprayed it over the parts, it stunk bad.

Anyone has some suggestions for heavy carbon cleaning for the internals of a suppressor? (.22)

Reactions: Valmet and FullClip

·
Registered
21,451 Posts
Ballistol is. I love me the smell of oils, cleaning oils, lubricants, solvents, etc.

I always used gun oils and if really dirty, bore cleaners, but I got my suppressor today, shot it a bunch, and it was filthy dirty (carbon was actually forming ridges inside my Silencerco Sparrow 22). Got me some Ballistol for the first time for my AR-15, decided to use it on the Sparrow, and when I sprayed it over the parts, it stunk bad.

Anyone has some suggestions for heavy carbon cleaning for the internals of a suppressor? (.22)
Just me. But I'm lazy. I will usually put CLP on it then let it sit overnight. It almost wipes off then and i just have to scrub a few parts

·
Registered
21,451 Posts
Hoppe's #9 8ill works just as well if you soak it overnight and Hoppes smells really good.
Yep. It's part of my lazy being though. Just the CLP laying around :D

·
Registered
5,175 Posts

It grows on you.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
I bought a 16 oz. pump spray bottle of it about 6 months(?) ago and it will last me the rest of my life. In fact, my guess is, it will still be half full when I cash in my chips.
It's worse than hydraulic fluid, gear oil and mineral spirits mixed together. It takes me hours to get the smell of it out of my nose. It does a good job though.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Hoppe's #9 8ill works just as well if you soak it overnight and Hoppes smells really good.
+1 Hoppes #9 has that "old school" scent.

Now EEZOX smells really good.

EEZOX is an all-in-one product and allows you to replace everything else in your gun cleaning kit. Totally effective from -95F to 450F. Synthetic EEZOX Premium Gun Care is composed of three major synthetic components that make your gun maintenance fast, simple, and efficient.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I bought a 16 oz. pump spray bottle of it about 6 months(?) ago and it will last me the rest of my life. In fact, my guess is, it will still be half full when I cash in my chips.
It's worse than hydraulic fluid, gear oil and mineral spirits mixed together. It takes me hours to get the smell of it out of my nose. It does a good job though.
If something smells evil it might be bad for you, don't use it inside the house. Chemicals that that can clean all sorts of crud are not good for you. I like really hot water as a cleaner.

·
Registered
11,258 Posts
Oh it isn't that bad.....I've been in elevators in NYC where someone "pooted" (some people ain't got no couth) that was much worse (Who died in there)

·
M62/76
12,561 Posts
While it doesn’t have the heavenly scent of Hoppe’s #9, Ballistol doesn’t smell offensive to me. CLP will do what you need it to.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,797 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts