Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
I like Michigan's "shoot on sight" law. I didn't expect something like that in Michigan.

Then this made me almost fall out the chair laughing:

Animal rights groups are outraged over what they say is persecution of pigs. Don Anthony, of the Animal Rights Foundation of Florida, said he doesn’t believe the swine are causing all the problems that are claimed.

He wants state leaders to “leave them alone or find a way to neuter them to keep their population down,” he said. Since the hogs have been in the United States for five hundred years, they’re “almost natives,” so “we should be used to them by now. Killing them is barbaric and unnecessary,” he said.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
A friend's brother used to run 1000 acres of peanuts south of San Antonio. Hogs used to get into his fields and it looked like somebody had gone through w/a tractor and just reverse plowed parts of his fields. A couple of M-1s put a dent in the problem....:supergrin:

FWIW, the .30-06 does a great job of neutering the pigs...

·
Agitator
2,779 Posts
Hogs are on the SHTF menu.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
Any of you ever hunt hogs with a .22LR? I have a friend who wants to use his .22 for hog hunts, and I think he's insane.

·
Premium Member
10,862 Posts
I like Michigan's "shoot on sight" law. I didn't expect something like that in Michigan.
I wonder if they are going to look the other way about 'discharging a weapon in city limits' with that one...

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
I wonder if they are going to look the other way about 'discharging a weapon in city limits' with that one...
Probably depends on the city.

I think it'll be interesting to see how many people get shot, and the shooters use the, "But I thought it was a feral hog" defense.

·
Premium Member
42,120 Posts
That's what I keep telling him. Those damn things are MEAN! Gotta drop 'em.

Since all he has is a .22, he's pretty insistent.
Shoot for the eyes..........:wow:
I'll stick with 6.8 SPC, .30'06 or 44 Mag

·
NRA Life Member
628 Posts
.22 behind the ear. Thats how we did it on the farm.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
.22 behind the ear. Thats how we did it on the farm.
We did, too, but these were domestically raised hogs, run through a chute. No worry that they were going to get angry with us or try to kill us on the off chance that we missed the spot from 6" away.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
CJ he really needs a bigger caliber, those things are mean and nasty. I knew a guy here that hunted them with dogs and a knife but he was a mean SOB.

·
Cajunator®
38,164 Posts
CJ he really needs a bigger caliber, those things are mean and nasty. I knew a guy here that hunted them with dogs and a knife but he was a mean SOB.
I know he does. I'm just wondering if anyone else is crazy enough to hunt feral hogs with a .22.

I'd feel safer with a dog and a knife. Much safer.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Any of you ever hunt hogs with a .22LR? I have a friend who wants to use his .22 for hog hunts, and I think he's insane.
Only if you're up off the ground. If you're going toe to toe I'd rather have a razor sharp machete than a .22LR.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Animal "rights" :upeyes:
Yes, they have the right to be cooked properly and consumed eagerly!:supergrin:

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Is he an idiot? As stated, sure it can be done but just because it can doesn't mean it should be.

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
That's what I keep telling him. Those damn things are MEAN! Gotta drop 'em.

Since all he has is a .22, he's pretty insistent.
Smallest I will use is my Mini 30 or my G20 with 6" after market barrel and 230gr lead. I have seen what they can do when they get "annoyed". And from my research even a 7.62x39 might not be enough to take them down later in the year. Then I will up it to the .270Win with my hand loaded 150gr soft point.

Then again I am hunting the CA wild boar either this coming weekend or next, and they are supposed to be some of the meanest and hardest to kill. If your friend does hunt with a .22 (is that even legal for large game?), good luck to him.:faint: I have seen CA ground squirrels run after being hit with a 36gr hollow point... that's an animal that is 1/100th the size of a pig.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I know he does. I'm just wondering if anyone else is crazy enough to hunt feral hogs with a .22.

I'd feel safer with a dog and a knife. Much safer.

This one isn't as big as some. I guess someone killed on in georgia that weighed over a thousand pounds!! .22 LR, nah. Give me a .308 or a .44 mag.

When I was a kid, the dogs had cornered a huge raccoon (40 pounds) in the field across the road, and he had rolled over on his belly and my dad shot him like 8 times with remington .22 lr hollow points out of a colt woodsman before he died. He never got a headshot, but still...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts