No nonsense carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rustytxrx, Jul 9, 2019.

1. rustytxrx

rustytxrx

IMO the 9mm is not adequate for a true defensive pistol caliber. Glock 29 has got you back. I put a combat sight on it, Meprolight FT. A small 300 lumen combat light.

It takes some practice and and strength for double taps with the G29.

Attached Files:

Tickhill, VIS07, Danielsuzuki and 3 others like this.
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Carry whatever you like. I am fine with nine, as are most pros who do it for a living.

And unless you pick very limited ammo you are basically carrying a .40 anyway.

What is a "combat" light?

3. unit1069

unit1069

A G-32 .357sig is much better. Everybody knows that.

4. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

5. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Many of us realize that using a 10mm (with a WML) for EDC is just nonsense unless you are in the woods or mountains. To each his own, I guess.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

And how many PD's and Sheriff's carry 10mm???

7. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman

I actually took one for a test drive last weekend. If I had not recently gotten an XD40, I would be tempted. Did not seem to be enough gain over the 40 (in a compact) to justify the extra cash even with the Glock veterans Blue Line pricing. If cash were not a factor I'd get one just because...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rustytxrx likes this.
  8. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

Huge 10mm fan here, well done

Tickhill and Cpt.J like this.
  9. powernoodle

powernoodle

[​IMG]

10. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

I've seemingly forever owned a model 20 and in the past also a model 29. (I'll get back to discussing the G-29 in a minute). The G-20 goes with me where there are bigger predators than the human species. Got a deal one time and bought the 6" "hunting barrel". I normally keep it installed rather than the normal 4.5" bbl. I gain about 125 feet per second with my 200 grain FMJ handloads thanks to that extra inch and a half. With defensive JHP stuff, factory or home rolled, it's about a 175 fps gain. I'll take it.

With the 10mm it is very prudent to own a chronograph, and have the ability to load your own ammunition. Too much of the factory stuff doesn't live up to its stated claims of velocity. And, the caliber just isn't as readily available "store bought" compared to more popular chamberings.

When I owned the G29, the velocity of those loads mentioned wasn't so great, at least compared to running it through the G20.

11. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers \m/ SLAYER!!!! \m/

12. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

The 10mm is a great round IF it is loaded to its potential AND when the barrel length is adequate to get it up to speed. Otherwise, it's like cowboy1964 said, you're shooting a .40.

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Doubt small town PO's and Sheriff Dept want everyone they shoot dead, I think that's been proved since neither of those carry .357 magnums any longer.

I'm going to the Taste of Cincinnati later this summer to participate in the world's largest Chicken Dance. Rumor has it, Antifa will be showing up. I'll be carrying my 29. Could carry a multitude of different nines, but if things go wrong, very wrong, which is why I suppose a lot of us carry, I really don't want the number of injured to enormously out weigh the killed like most scenarios where the nines use is the norm. I generally carry a 43 but I've never felt uncomfortable carrying a G29. I've hunted the last dozen years with a 10mm, and I've never scene whitetail drop to the ground faster with a handgun cartridge. Ill take the 29 thank you.

14. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

In an abstract sort of way, that kind of makes sense. More often than not, the determining factor in firearms/ammunition selection for smaller departments is reliability and cost. Glock was a game-changer for law enforcement firearms, and regardless of the caliber, Glocks are reliable and cheap.

15. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

So just to make sure I understand you correctly, you’re saying that the proof that police departments don’t use 10mm, is that it kills too many of the people that it hits? And that the lack of use of .357 Magnum is also proof of this?

HonkeyFries, n2g, PEC-Memphis and 4 others like this.
  16. cmontrose1

cmontrose1 GuN-a-HoLiC

I’ve been carrying my Sig P229 9mm everyday for the most part but, on rare, lazy days I carry my S&W mp340 w/357 loaded Ignorantly thinking that I was adequately prepared with a reasonably powerful load to protect my life. After reading through this thread, I’ve had a “come to Jesus moment” and the light in my head flicked on. I will be now switching to this, as I already own it, and ****, if the Rock can carry it on the big screen, then what the hell, I’ll carry it as well. Thanks GTers for opening my eyes so that I can be more prepared and possibly better equipped to handle a life saving situation.

F718E400-ED97-4F30-989C-4CD884DAF4A4.jpeg

Quijibo, Tickhill, R13 and 3 others like this.
  17. SK2344

SK2344

IMO, I along with many Gun Guys think the 9mm is a great round for SD but you and many other people think it is not, which is OK. But one thing I know for a fact is that many of my peers who are Retired Police and Security people do not like the .40 at all and their preferences are quite different than yours. It does not matter who is right or who is wrong, RIGHT!

18. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Is that a .22 magnum?

cmontrose1 likes this.
  19. John_AZ

John_AZ

Cool story.

But here’s real “no nonsense”

Is .38 Special adequate?

2C6EE8B0-FD6C-474D-82C4-E67B2933CF7C.jpeg

fxstchewy, n2g, JimmyCat and 7 others like this.
  20. pokersamurai

pokersamurai

For a thread titled “No nonsense carry” there is sure a lot of nonsense being stated.