No more Mr. Nice guy. That groundhog is too smart for me.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

Okay.. I just read the entire post.. We need an update...

2. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'll take your word for it. I've never been in that kind of a fight. Just some grade school play ground pushing and shoving scuffles.

Inyo Tim likes this.

3. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

Landowners killing nuisance animals require no trapping permit in PA. It's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

When my flower bed, trash cans, grill start to get messed with, I set the trap out. Possums get a pass and are released back to the woods only because they are good for ticks and do not carry rabies.

Not coons.

PS: Dave, if you have no other animals to worry about, you could set the coke+fly poison bait: it's lethal.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Caver 60 and davethehiker like this.
  4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

He was going for an annoying woodchuck. Baby raccoon got in his trap. He shot it. Guess a "nuisance animal" gives you carte blanch for anything....license or not as long as you have 72 windows.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  5. davethehiker

davethehiker

Gosh you have a good memory. I had forgotten how many widows I have. I know it's a lot. I remember that I once posted how a window salesmen came to my house and measured and counted each of my windows. He was determined to sell me triple pane gas filled windows to replace all my double panned windows. I decided that I could get by with my existing windows. Did I post that the number of windows was 72? I have forgotten how many windows I have.

The racoon was not a baby. I was surprised how heavy it was when I picked up the cage to dump it's body in the woods. He was remarkably strong, judging from the damage he was doing to my cage-trap.

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. legalsten

legalsten

I thought 72 was the post number where he did as I was suggesting . When I went back and read 72 it fit what I was saying . I got 7 last year that way and 2 so far this year .

davethehiker likes this.
  7. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Last night I forgot and left the door to my work shop open. I keep a couple bowls of cat food on the floor there to feed the cats that live in the shop. I went out just before dark and there were three baby raccoons, their mom, four baby skunks and their mom in there all trying to eat from the two bowls. I ran them all out except one baby skunk. It was determined to get some cat food. I set the bowls out of reach and after much effort got the last skunk out.
    The skunks are not much of a problem unless you have a dog. The raccoons are a different story. I can't keep a bowl of clean water out for the cats without the raccoons dumping it full of dirt or tipping it over.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    FullClip and davethehiker like this.
  8. davethehiker

davethehiker

Are you talking about 7 groundhogs or raccoons, or both?

My beef is with the groundhogs not the raccoons. I'm not going leave the trap set overnight. Maybe that way I can avoid catching raccoons.

9. davethehiker

davethehiker

Thanks for letting know possums are beneficial animals. They are darned ugly! Poison is a bit too much, even for me.

10. legalsten

legalsten

Groundhogs not raccoons . Groundhogs dig holes the horses can step in . My problem here is groundhogs and muskrats . I started watching and noticed I was seeing the groundhog at about the same time everyday . Opened the window and just waited .

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    You mentioned several times after the salesman came by how many windows you have. :wavey:

pgg00 and FullClip like this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

I just did a GT search and found the post about how the salesmen counted my windows. That was easier than counting the widows myself. The number was 73 widows not just a puny 72. So I guess it's okay to kill "nuisance animals".

Edit:
    I also have 10 sky lights that were not included in the 73 that the salesmen counted. Seven of these skylight are in the house and three are in the garage.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Caver 60 likes this.
  13. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Define what is a "nuisance"...is it destroying your crops?
    Harming your live stock??
    Harming your buildings?
    Attacking people?

Or are you really just taking some joy in trapping and then killing animals after terrorizing them for a while??

14. legalsten

legalsten

here the Groundhogs are destroying the garden and pasture on the neighbors property .

Caver 60 and TBO like this.
  15. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    To be fair, the raccoon was coming straight for him threatening his life so it was justifiable to load several misplaced shots into it, watch it suffer, place a dollar bill beside it, take a pic, then post a thread on GT.

So I really see no pattern here.

Oh, were you talking about the baby raccoon he trapped and shot point blank in the trap?

Sorry for the confusion. :wavey:

FullClip likes this.
  16. Bogart999

Bogart999

T
    As a youngster the farmers around my house paid $2.00 for every groundhog I shot on their land. I would go out when ever I needed some money and leave the carcasses by the barn, one guy even bought me ammo.

17. Caver 60

Caver 60

What have some of you got against killing varmints? Where I grew up groundhog hunting was a big sport. They are not exactly an endangered species.

For balance, I've been a member of an internationally recognized 501c3 scientific organization since 1960. I'm even a 'Fellow' in the organization.

One of our missions is to preserve cave life and protect endangered species of cave critters. Hence my screen name. I'm very conservation oriented.

flyover and nrajeff like this.
  18. davethehiker

davethehiker

Yes, yes Raccoon Lives Matter. (RLM) But you are being silly and over dramatic. It was a nuisance to me because, in this instance it was interfering with me trapping the groundhogs. The most expeditious way to remove it from the trap was to kill it first.

I'm learning that Groundhogs work day shift and Raccoons work night shift. I will not leave the trap set overnight in the future. If you think there is joy in killing small animals that's your problem. I do use the technique you taught to drown mice in my house. MLM (mice lives matter)

BTW, I have a good friend who was built like tank, who was crippled by a groundhog. He was a sniper's assistant in Vietnam and did multiple tours there. He never got a scratch on him. He was back in the States doing a training exercise. He was loaded down with a lot of heavy ammo and multiple weapons running backwards in a field. He stepped into a groundhog hole and snapped his knee. It never healed correctly and left him with a painful limp.

I have stepped onto groundhog holes mowing my own yard, but I was lucky and not hurt. The groundhogs rip up my vegetable garden and the last straw was when they chewed a hole in floor of my tool shed.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

They come back. 15 miles is Not far enough. I use a live trap in case I catch a cat, neighbors dog.

Inyo Tim, davethehiker and Caver 60 like this.
  20. thewitt

thewitt

Possums carry EPM, equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, which is fatal to horses.

They also carry leptospirosis, which can cause liver and kidney failure in humans. They also carry TB...

I would not consider an infestation of possums to be a healthy situation.

I'm not concerned with the occasional visitor, but I don't want them living in my yard.