No more Mr. Nice guy. That groundhog is too smart for me.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 3, 2020.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I got tired of the live trap not working.

Lead was effective x2.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

Caver 60 likes this.
  2. beckmurph1

beckmurph1

Well, you are feeding him a low fat low cholesterol diet.
    ‘course you might want to include a one-a-day vitamin just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

porschedog, 1bigK, flyover and 7 others like this.

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

The trap finally caught something! It's 6:15 am and I woke up and looked at the trap. It's a small raccoon. Darn it! It looks sad and pitiful in that trap. I do not want to risk getting bitten by reaching in that trap to open the door. I gonna have to shot it within the trap. Then dump the body deep in the woods. I think that's safer for me. :(

I have already shot too many raccoons. Raccoons are normally not a problem to me.

If I still want to catch that groundhog I think I'm gonna need to only set the trap during the day when the groundhogs are active.

4. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’ve killed my fair share of pest but let him live if he’s not a problem. Take the time to make something to let him go safely.

rotorhead1026, pgg00, Aurora and 2 others like this.
  5. davethehiker

davethehiker

Sorry, the deed is done. I not could think of a way to safely let him free. I held the barrel of my PS90 up to that vertical stripe between his eyes and pulled the trigger. There was a lot of kicking and trashing but after a minute all motion had stopped. I'd like to think that it did not suffer but I'm not convinced.

If I thought this thru better maybe I could have tied strings to the door beforehand that could have unlatched it remotely. It panicked when it saw me. I wanted this to end as quickly as possible. Now I need to carry the cage and coon deep into the woods and weeds and dump the body. :(

6. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Why use a live trap if you are gonna' kill everything that gets in it?

I've caught and relocated a bunch of racoons and never had a problem.

pgg00 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  7. davethehiker

davethehiker

You make a good point. How did you manage to get the trap door open without risking your hand and arm to danger? I don't think it's legal to dump live raccoons of public or others private property.

8. Dave514

Dave514

Next time, tie a string to the trap door.

9. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

10. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    This is like reading a Jeffrey Dahmer series......

11. FullClip

I bent down and pushed the latch for the doors open...and when they did, the coons would beat feet for the nearest tree line.

For the skunks I used my pole saw to open the latch. They seemed to be in no hurry to get away.

As far as being legal or not....here is an excerpt from the Pennsylvania hunting and trapping laws....be careful of what you post here...I put the key words and dates in BOLD.

Maybe if you can convince the jury that you were "in fear for you life", they would let you plead to self defense.

Edit to add....Do you have a hunting and trapping license??

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Pages/SeasonsandBagLimits.aspx#:~:text=RACCOONS and FOXES: Oct.,No closed season, except Sundays.

Furbearer Hunting
    COYOTES: No closed season. Unlimited. Outside of any big game season (deer, bear, elk and turkey), coyotes may be taken with a hunting license or a furtaker license, and without wearing orange. During any big game season, coyotes may be taken while lawfully hunting big game or with a furtaker license.

RACCOONS and FOXES: Oct. 24-Feb. 20, unlimited.

OPOSSUM, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: No closed season, except Sundays. No limits.

BOBCAT (WMUs 2A, 2B, 2C, 2E, 2F, 2G, 2H, 3A, 3B, 3C, 3D, 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D and 4E): Jan. 9-Feb. 3. One bobcat per license year. Licensed furtakers may obtain one permit each.

PORCUPINES: Oct. 10-Jan. 30, 2021. (3 daily, season limit of 10).

Trapping Seasons
    MINKS and MUSKRATS: Nov. 21-Jan. 10. Unlimited.

COYOTES, FOXES, OPOSSUMS, RACCOONS, STRIPED SKUNKS and WEASELS: Oct. 25-Feb. 21. No limit.

COYOTES and FOXES, CABLE RESTRAINTS (Statewide): Dec. 26-Feb. 21. No limit. Participants must pass cable restraint certification course.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  12. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

they only thing i release alive is possum. they eat a lot of bugs/ticks.
    Every coon gets a cci cb (because im in town) to the ear and buried. They are a destructive.
    If you want to release, i used some heavier gauge wire that i used for coyotes snare posts. Basically U shaped, foot long, with about 2 inches at the end, bent at 90 degrees. Put the bent ends into the live trap door rings and pull up. I keep another wire on top toward the end of the reach, that i can wrap around the U shaped piece, if you want to keep the door open. Im sure its been mentioned, but try peanut butter on melon/cantalope slices.
    Since you had issues being spotted from the window. Leave your rifle in the window and pull the curtains together. If you have a scope even better. I think some old time hunters used to whistle, to make them stand out of curiosity.
    Ive either shot and or trapped then shot about 50 coons/groundhogs in the last 20 years in town. Im tired of digging holes..

Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  13. legalsten

legalsten

Find a window in the house as close as you can to where you can see him .Pull the screen out and if needed put corn out and move it a few feet a day until you get a shot lined up . 22 and a scope works .

14. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    He has 72

FullClip likes this.
  15. FullClip

Must buy Windex in 55 Gallon drums.
    [​IMG]

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  16. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

This is exactly how I dispatched 4-5 of them on my property in the space of maybe 2 years. All shots were from a high-powered spring air rifle, from less than 10 feet away. My shooting alley was along side my deck, which was their hideout. Diced carrots was my preferred bait.

17. Caver 60

Caver 60

The kicking and threshing is completely normal for a brain shot. It was dead. Just their nervous system coming unglued. They don't go down like the bad guy getting shot on TV.

When I take fed steers to the butcher for processing I sometimes stay to watch. When that 22 LR bullet hits them in the head, they hit the floor like a brick of lead. They are dead. But after a few seconds, they start a violent threshing for about 30 seconds or so, and then lay still.

I've brain shot a lot of varmints and they all thresh. It's normal.

Doesn't the game code contain something about a landowner killing nuisance animals?

And I'd vote for a good groundhog rifle, from a hidden vantage point.

18. thewitt

thewitt

Hook the latch with a bent coat hanger.

davethehiker likes this.
  19. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

If you've ever been knocked out fighting, you never feel the punch that does it.

Caver 60 and davethehiker like this.
  20. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

[​IMG]