GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 250 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
20,575 Posts
He's out killing all the golfers like he was told.
Ha-Ha...maybe you are a prophet. Maybe @davethehiker was taking pot shots at the groundhog??

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsi...s-golfer-80-after-aiming-woodchuck-police-say

Wisconsin man accidentally shoots golfer, 80, after aiming for woodchuck, police say
Police said the bullet ricocheted off some trees before striking the golfer

A Wisconsin man accidentally shot an 80-year-old golfer on Monday while aiming at woodchuck on his property, authorities said.

Police said it appeared the 50-year-old man from Lomira was trying to shoot the rodent on his property when it ricocheted off some trees before striking the golfer.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Ha-Ha...maybe you are a prophet. Maybe @davethehiker was taking pot shots at the groundhog??

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsi...s-golfer-80-after-aiming-woodchuck-police-say

Wisconsin man accidentally shoots golfer, 80, after aiming for woodchuck, police say
Police said the bullet ricocheted off some trees before striking the golfer

A Wisconsin man accidentally shot an 80-year-old golfer on Monday while aiming at woodchuck on his property, authorities said.

Police said it appeared the 50-year-old man from Lomira was trying to shoot the rodent on his property when it ricocheted off some trees before striking the golfer.
This could happen to me if if I'm not mindful of how I aim. I have a driving range on the other side of road from my property. The bullet would need to wind it's way through a dense forest of trees but it could happen. Also I need to be careful the I don't shoot my whole house back-up generator that's near where I frequently see the little bastard.

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Last night before I went to bed I decided to check my trap to see if there was anything in it. I shined a bright flashlight out a window into the darkness to see if there was anything in my trap. I could not find the trap but I saw to eyes reflecting light in the darkness. From the placement of the two eyes, I think it was a raccoon. The eyes were under an apple tree, not where I placed my trap. This morning I checked my trap. The trap door was closed and the entire trap had been moved 15 feet to under my apple tree, where I saw the eyes. It occurred to me that if I could convince my wife to shine that flash light for me I could place a round between those glowing eyes, using the holographic sight on my PS90. (Or the red dot on my 10mm.)

Reactions: porschedog

·
Native Mainiac
20,575 Posts
Last night before I went to bed I decided to check my trap to see if there was anything in it. I shined a bright flashlight out a window into the darkness to see if there was anything in my trap. I could find the trap but I saw to eyes reflecting light in the darkness. From the placement of the two eyes, I think it was a raccoon. The eyes were under and apple tree, not where I placed my trap. This morning I checked my trap. The trap door was closed and the entire trap had been moved 15 feet to under my apple tree, where I saw the eyes. It occurred to me that if I could convince my wife to shine that flash light for me I could place a round between those glowing eyes, using the holographic sight on my PS90. (Or the red dot on my 10mm.)
A couple of these will anchor down the trap. You gotta' do that or the racoons will just move it around.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
A couple of these will anchor down the trap. You gotta' do that or the racoons will just move it around.
I went to Walmart today to buy some big plastic jugs that I filled water and placed on the sink, to hold me over until my water line is repaired. While there I spotted the exact plastic steaks that you sent me a photo of. I bought four of them.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
What kind of stupid laws does Nebraska have? What's wrong with shooting them? Either with or without the use of a trap.

·
I feel pretty.
3,283 Posts
Wait a minute; I have not thought this through! What if I trap a raccoon?! I do not particularly want to kill a raccoon but if I do trap one, it will dangerous to release it alive. I do not want to get my hands near a live trapped animal. It's a bit tricky opening the door(s) on these traps without sticking a hand/finger into that cage. That's safe with a dead animal but not an angry live one.
After a few hours, racoons will be as timid as a squirrel in that scary cage. Don't freak out if he climbs up you and jumps on the way out. Most likely, he'll be too scared to even leave the trap when you open it. Leave it open and walk away. With the spring loaded traps, I have to shake the animal out half the time.

I release all my critters near bernie stickers.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Last night before I went to bed I decided to check my trap to see if there was anything in it. I shined a bright flashlight out a window into the darkness to see if there was anything in my trap. I could not find the trap but I saw to eyes reflecting light in the darkness. From the placement of the two eyes, I think it was a raccoon. The eyes were under an apple tree, not where I placed my trap. This morning I checked my trap. The trap door was closed and the entire trap had been moved 15 feet to under my apple tree, where I saw the eyes. It occurred to me that if I could convince my wife to shine that flash light for me I could place a round between those glowing eyes, using the holographic sight on my PS90. (Or the red dot on my 10mm.)
about 5 years ago I got one of the little terrorists in a have a hart trap in the late afternoon. I had a long day, so I figured I’d take care of him in the morning. Next dat I got up and went out, the trap was gone. I couldn’t find it anywhere. 2 years later I found the trap about 300 yards out in the woods. It was just ripped apart. Only thing I can think was a bear found it and had a happy meal to go.

·
No place like home
7,238 Posts
When I was married and living in the country, we had a raccoon problem. My husband got a live trap and the first one he caught he drove off about 5 miles and released it. I couldn't believe it and told him he should have shot it. He quickly realized we had more than one, so he started keeping the trap set and took to shooting them at that point. When we got to raccoon #32, we just stopped counting. The trap was checked every morning, but more than once the trapped raccoons bent the thing all up so badly trying to get out that it had to be straightened to make it work properly once again The amount of strength they have is incredible. They can also be extremely vicious as well as smart and cunning.

·
Senior Moment
6,098 Posts
My husband got a live trap and the first one he caught he drove off about 5 miles and released it. I couldn't believe it and told him he should have shot it.
I used to take them down to the river and let them go until I found out there is a whopping big fine for relocating animals or fish in Cal. All you can legally do is kill them or release them from the trap.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I never knew there could be a fine associated with that

Whats the reason?

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
I used to take them down to the river and let them go until I found out there is a whopping big fine for relocating animals or fish in Cal. All you can legally do is kill them or release them from the trap.
At least California will let you kill them.

Last year I saw something I'd never seen before. I've seen the occasional raccoon around the farm, but I was pasture clipping about 8 acres with my tractor using a 6 foot brush cutter.

I had been going around and around for a while and had a clear zone about 50 feet wide between the woods and the unclipped pasture. I saw something moving in the weeds, I thought it was an armadillo.

To my surprise about 8 or more raccoons came running out of the weeds and headed for the fence and into the woods. The next trip around,here came two more headed the same way, like don't leave me.

The raccoons looked young but full grown. I don't think it was a mama and her babies. Never seen that many in the daytime in a group before.

·
Senior Moment
6,098 Posts
I never knew there could be a fine associated with that

Whats the reason?
I'm not positive the reason, but would think one reason is to prevent the spread of disease. Also people dumping domestic animals out in the wilds play hell with native wildlife. Also some folks decide their favorite fishing spot should have their favorite species and manage to dump say crappie into a pristine trout fishery.
I've read the fine list for all wildlife violations. Goldfish in lakes or streams? Max fine $30,000.

·
Watcher.
40,263 Posts
At least California will let you kill them.

Last year I saw something I'd never seen before. I've seen the occasional raccoon around the farm, but I was pasture clipping about 8 acres with my tractor using a 6 foot brush cutter.

I had been going around and around for a while and had a clear zone about 50 feet wide between the woods and the unclipped pasture. I saw something moving in the weeds, I thought it was an armadillo.

To my surprise about 8 or more raccoons came running out of the weeds and headed for the fence and into the woods. The next trip around,here came two more headed the same way, like don't leave me.

The raccoons looked young but full grown. I don't think it was a mama and her babies. Never seen that many in the daytime in a group before.
Predator.'08.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I got a lot of good suggestions on how to trap the groundhog from GT. Thank you. I decided to try moving the trap to where I know they go under the shed. I drove stakes into the ground to secure the trap to the ground. I wired up the doors on both ends. I covered the sides and top with lumber to make it more tunnel like. I just placed a slice of water melon on both ends. I hope to condition the grounds to think the trap is a safe place to get free meals. After they start eating the bait I'll reset the trap door.

Reactions: Inyo Tim
101 - 120 of 250 Posts