GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Whoops that was a typo.... I meant to say that "Big black ants are eating the cantaloupe that I put out for the groundhogs." Big black aunts eating cantaloupe is a completely different thing! Sorry.:hippie:

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
I used to have a Golden Retriever with a very soft bite who could carry anything without any damage - however she hated groundhogs with a passion. If one came near she would kill it instantly... I'd loan her to you but she passed away. Sorry.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I had my best luck with the core of lettuce. I hang it inside the trap past the treadle and then sprinkle some lettuce on the ground and into the trap.

I've probably caught 5 'chucks so far and 3 rabbits. More have died of lead poisoning. All my neighbors either shoot when I don't or cheer me on when I shoot.

I had one rabbit I wounded and started chasing across the yard. My neighbor was on a second story deck hollering "Git 'em Russ, git 'em".

We all laughed our ass off. He crawled under an out building and that's the last I saw of him.

As an aside, the building he crawled under is owned by a friend who has a bunch of LARGE pythons and Boas as well as quite a few venomous snakes. I believe they have had their venom removed. Rattlesnakes, a Gaboon viper and other assorted snakes I am unsure about.

Dan the Snakeman. You will be hearing his name soon as a household name. He's going Youtube.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Mr. Smarty Pants groundhog is totally ignoring my baited trap. I just poured a can of beer into the grass and into the trap and along a line leading to the entrance of the trap the to the gap under the shed where the groundhog comes and goes. How can he resist?

I also added some lettuce leaves leading into the trap. I have a raspberry bush that's yielding more beautiful red berries than I can eat, so I placed some berries on the lettuce. There is a cornucopia of a salad bar leading into the trap. I look out the window and check periodically. I get the feeling that he is laughing at me.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Mr. Smarty Pants groundhog is totally ignoring my baited trap. I just poured a can of beer into the grass and into the trap and along a line leading to the entrance of the trap the to the gap under the shed where the groundhog comes and goes. How can he resist?

I also added some lettuce leaves leading into the trap. I have a raspberry bush that's yielding more beautiful red berries than I can eat, so I placed some berries on the lettuce. There is a cornucopia of a salad bar leading into the trap. I look out the window and check periodically. I get the feeling that he is laughing at me.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Pour the beer in a bowl and see if you can get him drunk.
When I was a kid I had a pet groundhog. Actually it was more my dad's pet and he told people it was my pet. I hated the dam thing because it gave me a nasty bite once on the web of flesh behind my Achilles tendon. No lasting damage to my foot was done. I learned that groundhogs love beer and will drink them self drunk. The good news is that they do NOT sing when they are drunk. They simply go to sleep.

They are enthusiastic beer drinkers! BTW, my dad liked to carry the groundhog hidden in his leather jacket. He would sit at the bar and order "two beers, one for me and one for my buddy." For those of you old enough to remember, when canned beer first came out, the beer cans had a cap on them just like caps on bottles. My dad would place the animal on the bar and feed him the beer directly from the open can. The thing would stand on the bar on it's hind legs holding the beer can with it's front paws and drink beer until it fell sound asleep.

I could tell you many more stories about that groundhog, but I'll spare you. :fred:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=early...s=n&sk=&cvid=DAEF392F9BAD4C44A6391306EAB7D24B

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
OMG, he is standing on his hind legs ten feet from the trap studying the trap deciding what to do. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Set yerself up in a blind cooler of iced drinks, something to read, rifle cocked n locked, camera on call.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I think I blew it. I looked out the windows and could not see the groundhog. I put on my ear protection grabbed my PS90 turned on my holographic sight zeroed in for the correct distance. I slowly opened the front door and walked barefoot so I would not make noise. I spotted him standing perfectly still near the corner of my house. I started to lower the weapon to point at him. He ran under the shed and disappeared. I never even saw him in my weapons sight.

The bait is untouched, even the lettuce leading to the traps door is untouched. I hope he caves in to the temptation of all that food and comes out from under the shed.

Reactions: Inyo Tim
61 - 80 of 250 Posts