No more Mr. Nice guy. That groundhog is too smart for me.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

Is the taxidermist just doing a head-mount, or a full body mount?

OdinIII, FullClip and TBO like this.
  2. DrewBone

DrewBone

Yay!!

Now tell me about your PS90 Dave...which model do you own, and are you using an optic; if so, which?

I have an early original model with the white ghost ring optic, and may SBR it one of these days to get rid of that goofy barrel shroud and return it to how it's supposed to look - with a 10.4" barrel ;)

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

I put an EOTECH HOLOGRAPHIC HYBRID SIGHT SYSTEM on it. It has a 3X magnifier that can flip up in front of the sight and it makes a big difference in accuracy for my 81 year old eyes. This sight provides a big round bright green circle with a tiny dot in the middle of the circle. The 3X magnifier flips to the side to give you a wide field of view or snaps into place providing a big advantage. You must take the the time to sight it in, but it holds the sight once you established it. I wish the sight was motion activated and turned on automatically when I moved the weapon but it does not have that feature. You must press a button to turn the sight on. I have shot a few varmints out my windows. It works well. The problem with the PS90 is that the sight is for above the barrel that it must be sighted in for a particular distance.

I have also shot varmints out my windows with Glock-23 using a milled slide and a Trigicon RMR. There is less of a parallax problem when the sight is very close to the barrel. My most consistently accurate weapon is my 10mm Glock 29 also equipped with an RMR. The trajectory of hot 10mm ammo is so flat that I just put the red dot about a half inch above where I want the bullet to hit, and it does, regardless of the distance. The PS90 being a rifle is easier to hold study.

treg, DrewBone and Caver 60 like this.
  4. davethehiker

davethehiker

Full Body in the pressure cooker.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    treg likes this.
  5. Russ Not the Mod

Russ Not the Mod

Atta boy Dave. Dave 1 Woodchuck 0

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Keep us all posted about the next critter you sentence to death.

SRS, G30SF/F-250 and ZekerMan like this.
  7. Bogart999

Bogart999

Deleted, saw the pressure cooker comment

8. Caver 60

Caver 60

I know a guy that says he loves to eat them. I don't think I'll ever try them.

9. nrajeff

nrajeff

and dollar bills for size estimation

10. davethehiker

davethehiker

Good question. First my wife was on her computer down on the lowest floor in the house. I was two floors above her and the sound of the shot had to pass through three closed doors. There is a police shooting range a few miles up the road from us and we frequently hear them practicing in the distance. Some of the property owners near fire their own weapons. We frequently hear gun fire and have no idea where it came from.

Later I asked her if she heard me shoot my gun. She answered "I think so."

flyover and Caver 60 like this.
  11. davethehiker

davethehiker

When I was a young boy it was a regular item on the menu at our house. My father cooked them in the old fashioned Westinghouse Electric Cookers.

Caver 60 likes this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

Deleted what? I guess I missed it.

13. Bogart999

Bogart999

I was seconding the full body mount comment, then saw you were going to have it for dinner.

davethehiker likes this.
  14. davethehiker

davethehiker

They taste a lot like rabbit. You must be careful when skinning them because they have sent gland under their legs that must be removed without nicking it.

15. cqb451

cqb451

They absolutely love vegetables that you put in hard labor to grow.
    40+ years ago during my youth, I worked on a produce/flower farm. I would carry a .22 Marlin on the tractor with me as the groundhogs got used to the noise therefore allowing me to get close enough for an accurate shot. More than one met its fate due to becoming complacent. Those rodents were everywhere.
    When things were quiet work wise for a few days I'd sit up in the barn with a bolt action .222 Remington.
    My dog would spend an entire afternoon trying to dig one out....literally had to pull him away after several hours.....hated those things he did!

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. davethehiker

davethehiker

LOL. I have a good buddy who is a farmer and hates them as much as your dog. The farmer sets some kind of special trap and he tells me that last week he killed 12 in one day!

cqb451 likes this.
  17. Caver 60

Caver 60

Can you find out what kind of trap he has and let us know. I have a live trap, but like you, it isn't very efficient. They love my barns and really makes a mess.

18. davethehiker

davethehiker

I'll get the name of his trap the next time I talk to him. I wanted to invite over for dinner soon anyway. He works long days this time of year, often does not return to the house until after dark. He tells me that the trap goes over the hole and is set with some kind of tool.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Caver 60 likes this.
  19. davethehiker

davethehiker

I found a photo of the weapon as it originally arrived. It was a gift from my son. I replaced the sight that came with it. It still fits in the violin case. It also has a small hole in the sight adapter that can be sighted through, but it's difficult to use. PS90.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    flyover, Inyo Tim and deputy tom like this.
  20. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

I'll bet the trap your buddy used was a conibear.
    [​IMG]

Caver 60 likes this.