GlockTalk Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
That woodchuck will be back unless it is a traveling male. Females tend to "den up"
Thanks, that's good to know. I suspect that mine is a female because I have seen a pup. I have seen two different sized and colored groundhogs in my yard earlier in the year.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
That Raccoon bent up my cage so bad that it was not working. The groundhog or something got away with the slice of cantaloupe I was using for bait. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and vise grips to bend the parts back into working order and placed another slice of cantaloupe near the trigger. The trap is again set.
Score so far:
Dave = 0
Raccoon = 0
Groundhog = 18

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
OK, I have watched this for 11 pages now and kept my favorite Groundhog story to myself, but no longer.

My uncle Tony planted a garden behind his house. A very nice garden. When it started producing, guess who showed up for dinner.
You guessed it, Mr Groundhog.

Uncle Tony was having his morning coffee and smoke on the back porch when he saw the furry freeloader. Not amused at the critters presence, and wanting to protect his source of produce, Tony stepped inside and grabbed a 410 shotgun, took aim, fired and did little more than pepper some plants and scare away the groundhog.

The next morning, was a repeat performance with the groundhog once again escaping the blast of pellets, only to return then next day and repeat the process.

Tony was fed up now and devised his next plan. He set his alarm to get up before sunrise. sat cross legged at the opening of the groundhogs hole with the muzzle of the 410 pointed at the hole.
Tony sat silently with all the skill and patience of the great white hunter that he thought himself to be, waiting to dispatch the thieving beast.

As the sun began to peek over the horizon there was stirring from inside the hole, and then head of the groundhog eased into the light. For a very brief time, the groundhog stared at Tony and Tony at the groundhog as he gently squeezed the trigger. CLICK! Forgot to reload!

Groundhog 4
Uncle Tony 0

·
Watcher.
40,089 Posts
:rofl:

Reactions: 1bigK

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I thought it could not get better than mole or chipmunk stories, but this is pretty good.

Following for the inevitable comedy gold to come. :D
Just quoting myself. :D Thread delivery - complete.

·
Watcher.
40,089 Posts
PCIPC.'08.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
The trap is set. Both cantaloupe and a cored apple stuffed with peanut butter are being used as bait. Stay tuned.

·
Navy Veteran
5,271 Posts
Locals use flybait for critters screwing with gardens. They pour it in a tinfoil plate, then add a little beer. Sometimes they expire within a few feet of the plate.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Locals use flybait for critters screwing with gardens. They pour it in a tinfoil plate, then add a little beer. Sometimes they expire within a few feet of the plate.
I'll consider it, but that sounds too dangerous to all wildlife to me.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I have not seen the groundhog in a week. I think he is still living under my shed and entering the trap because I can see the bite marks it makes in the cantaloupe slices. It also managed to lick out all the peanut butter that I stuffed into an apple with the core removed. Somehow this rascal avoids standing on the treadle as he eats the bait. The lawn service cut my grass today this usually brings him out of his hole so he can enjoy the cut up salad. I'm starting to think he has stopped eating the grass on my lawn and living on the bait that he has trained me to put out for him.

·
Watcher.
40,089 Posts
:needspics:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Always works for me , sometimes it takes a few tries .

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Did you forewarn the wife of the shot or did you take the shot and scare the hell out of her?

201 - 220 of 250 Posts