GlockTalk Forum banner

181 - 200 of 250 Posts

·
What did I come in here for?
10,944 Posts
PS: Dave, if you have no other animals to worry about, you could set the coke+fly poison bait: it's lethal
Seems to work on bald eagles, too.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...imit-wildlife-deaths-misuse-deadly-fly-killer

Over the past few decades, wildlife researchers and environmental regulators in the United States have become increasingly alarmed by the intentional misuse of methomyl to kill “nuisance” wildlife including skunks and raccoons. Sometimes, however, the victims include dogs, cats, and even bald eagles......

·
Senior Moment
5,861 Posts
Over the past few decades, wildlife researchers and environmental regulators in the United States have become increasingly alarmed by the intentional misuse of methomyl to kill “nuisance” wildlife including skunks and raccoons. Sometimes, however, the victims include dogs, cats, and even bald eagles......
Reminds me of the time we had a serious ground squirrel problem at the golf course here. The greens keeper sprinkled poison grain at the entrance of every ground squirrel hole. There were dead birds all over the golf course.

·
Registered
18,057 Posts
Reminds me of the time we had a serious ground squirrel problem at the golf course here. The greens keeper sprinkled poison grain at the entrance of every ground squirrel hole. There were dead birds all over the golf course.
I used poison grain on prairie dogs. The label instructions are to place the grain in the burrow not on the ground. There was an outfit that was poisoning for hire. He got caught broadcasting the grain, his business did not survive.

·
Registered
18,057 Posts

·
Registered
18,057 Posts
I will add, I bought one and used it on several infestations of Prairie Dogs. It was not cheap but it really worked well when used within its parameters.

This thing could and did blow the mound clean off the ground and into the air. I used a inner-tube wrapped sandbag on top of the dirt covered opening. Many times the fire would come back up the hole when retrieving the sandbag.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Did they get any tools? Like saws or hammer drills .... They may be coming after your house next.
They have attempted to tunnel under the house twice. They then are easy to kill because you can see the entrance to the hole. I just manufacture some chlorine gas/foam that pours down into nest killing everything.

·
Scottish Member
11,201 Posts
They have attempted to tunnel under the house twice. They then are easy to kill because you can see the entrance to the hole. I just manufacture some chlorine gas/foam that pours down into nest killing everything.
I think they trying to lure into a trap. Their next move is to get a tunnel into your house (like they did your shed). Then you gas the tunnel, thereby filling your house with poison gas. Then voilà, they’ve got the whole estate to themselves. Have you checked the closets or under the dryer for tunnels?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I reset the trap this morning. Hopefully the groundhog was not watching when I shot the raccoon and will go for the bait in the back of the trap. I'll trip the trap when it gets dark so I do not catch another raccoon or other nocturnal animal.

·
Registered
18,057 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
The blood smell in the trap may keep them away now...
There was no blood. I lined up the barrel on my PS90 so the 5.7x28mm would enter between it's eyes and leave out it's A-Hole. I don't think the round left it's body. I did not look too close, but I did not see any holes or leakage. I washed the cage down with a garden hose before I reached inside with a pair of pliers to repair the damage done by the raccoon. BTW, it ate every bit of the bait that I had placed in the cage.

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I still say invest in a good varmint rifle and find a hidden location to shoot from.
My PS90 with it's Burris holographic sight and 3X magnifier, when it's zeroed in for the correct distance is a pretty darned good varmint rifle.

I have not seen the groundhog in my yard for about a week. Nothing goes in my trap during the day. Maybe after he saw what happened to the raccoon it decided to pack it's bags and leave?!

181 - 200 of 250 Posts