No More CPR

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by WT, Apr 13, 2020.

1. WT

WT Millennium Member

As NJ hospitals struggle with a growing number of workers getting sick or forced into quarantine, several hospitals have established Do Not Attempt Resuscitation (DNAR) policies. They aim to mitigate the transmission risks inherent in lifesaving measures, such as CPR and intubation when patients stop breathing or their hearts cease beating.

All patients who have either tested positive for COVID-19 or are suspected of being infected are placed on a “no CPR” list. Because the coronavirus is highly contagious, doctors performing lifesaving tactics can be especially susceptible.

Recent legislation provides doctors, nurses, and other health personnel with improved protection against civil suits involving CV patients.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...virus-patients-to-protect-doctors-nurses.html

2. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

IDK...I am torn on this one...Personally, I would not want to justify allowing someone to expire If I thought they were able to be saved...but if they are febrile and already compromised...maybe...I don't know...like I said I'm torn...I guess I would have to take every case as it comes, and pray for guidance

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I find it a little hard to believe that doctors and nurses in hospitals are doing CPR by putting their mouth on the patient's mouth. Seriously?

Willard, KY Moose and Deltic like this.
  4. Terry G

Terry G

Federal LEO's are furnished with belt carried devices that allow CPR without fear of infection, your saying Medical Staff aren't?

5. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Bagging and intubation are major contributors to aerosolization. I haven’t seen it mentioned but would guess chest compressions without a cuffed ETT would also.

6. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I thought the whole 'mouth-to-mouth' thing was no longer part of the official CPR regimen anyway. ??

That's not really what it's about, anyway. People with an infectious disease are infectious. Who knew?

7. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Tough nut to crack

I see the risk of CPR/mouth to mouth....BUT on the other hand could you just stand there and watch someone expire (from being in an accident as an example) when you could have possibly saved them.

As I said.....this is a tough one

8. Terry G

Terry G

Good way to get fired!

9. powernoodle

powernoodle

10. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

Death.

nikerret likes this.
  11. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

Never.

But intubating a patient aerosols the virus and makes it much easier to spread. Also, codes in a hospital are all hands on deck, very quickly. PPE is likely not being utilized adequately in a lot of these cases.

That being said, I'm torn also.

Redeemed and nikerret like this.
  12. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Frankly, I have a terrible record of bringing back the dead. Best I ever got was the patient a few days, but they didn’t know it. I have seen one full recovery CPR, in my years of public safety, so I know it IS possible (at least one time).

NMG26 and Redeemed like this.
  13. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

It depends on why they coded. In the cardiovascular pulmonary ICU where I usually work, we save a very high percentage of them.

But in a medical ICU where they have tons of co-morbidities, sepsis, multiple organ failure, etc., it's tough. By the time they crash, there is usually no bringing them back.

Willard likes this.
  14. tool-time

tool-time

The death panels have begun

15. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Agree

16. Redeemed

Redeemed

Not necessarily, If it’s per protocol.
    The agencies I was with was pretty much no CPR on trauma victims.

BGDaddy likes this.
  17. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

Yup. If someone arrests from a trauma, you aren't gonna save them in the field. Probably not even in the O.R.

Redeemed likes this.
  18. Quickling

Quickling

Another thing to consider is that if these are COVID patients, they are most likely on a covid floor, with multiple intubated patients on vents and sedative drips to maintain the tube. Certain drips require more frequent vitals checks.

As someone already pointed out, a code blue will empty an area as everyone rushes in to help. Therefore those nurses who had to manage their patients every 5 minutes are now no longer available as they work a code for 20+ minutes.

Under normal circumstances these kinds of "everyone is a DNR" protocols wouldn't happen, but during a full blown pandemic we are all operating under MCI triage protocols due to high patient volumes with limited providers.

Willard likes this.
  19. Blanton

Blanton

I believe it's possible to do rescue breathing through surgical masks or other cloth barriers. Morally it would be a very tough decision not to attempt in all but the most hopeless of victims

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My thinking was that in a hospital they use resuscitators with a mask and pump, rather than blowing into somebody's mouth with their mouths. As far as I know, even police and EMTs in the field use a resuscitator mask, as a minimum.

BGDaddy likes this.