Featured No manual external safety makes no sense and reduces sales and profits

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Twin_daddy, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twin_daddy

Twin_daddy

The argument that cops and those that anticipate being in a gunfight will be slowed down by an external manual safety and that is why Glocks don't have them makes no sense. If you really think that that external manual safety is going to slow you down and cost you your life, DON'T TURN IT ON IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    Every day at the local gun shop a half dozen women and almost as many men turn away from Glock handguns because of the lack of an external manual safety. No amount of explaining that "your finger is the safety" will make them reconsider a Glock.
    Glock, and gun shops that sell Glocks, are losing vast amounts of sales and profit by not offering external manual safeties.
    This is especially unfortunate because all of the internal safeties that a Glock DOES have that prevent accidental discharges from dropping the gun are EXACTLY what most novices need. Again, these women and men who turn away from Glocks are the ones who need those internal safeties the most.

taffbanjo, Ogre427, Joebiker and 9 others like this.
  2. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

3. BigMick

BigMick

Glock does enough sales without the manual safety crowd. These people may turn away from Glock but the store owners should steer them towards something they are comfortable with thereby getting their sale anyway. Btw, welcome to GT!

4. Twin_daddy

Twin_daddy

It is great to be here! Thanks for having me! However, I don't know of any business that is satisfied with the sales they have... especially if they have shareholders. I will never understand why some people insist on having a gun without an external manual safety. If you don't like it, don't turn it on. Is that little stub of metal bothering you in some way? Why deny the people who do want the external manual safety, (and who need the internal safeties the most) a feature that those who don't want it can just choose to not turn on?

5. dudel

dudel

Glock is privately held. There are no shareholders. Seems like they've done pretty well without an extra safety. People who don't like Glocks are free to buy something else; yet millions of people still buy Glocks. Go figure.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

You obviously don't know how Glocks were first conceived for the US market.

They were designed as high capacity replacements for revolvers.

Ever see a manual safety on a revolver?

Joined today, and both posts about manual safeties. Don't be a troll.

BTW: If you want to add a manual safety, the aftermarket can sell you one.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. BigMick

BigMick

Perhaps some people may think it could become accidentally activated, which it absolutely could. Also, it's just another step to go through to be able to put the gun into action that a lot of people don't want.

8. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A two in thepink and a stump in the rump

the pistol is no longer "drop safe" with the manual safety OFF. unless its a sig.....

9. TeaDub

TeaDub

Smith & Wesson probably has the best approach for maximizing potential customers. Offer the same model gun with or without a thumb safety.

Glock is doing just fine in the mean time.

t4terrific, Roger1079, Dcc65 and 22 others like this.
  10. Twin_daddy

Twin_daddy

Yes, I just joined today and I am talking about external manual safeties. That is the reason I joined. I'm trying to get an answer to why people insist on carrying a gun without an external manual safety when they could just as easily not turn the safety on and get the same effect. That is not being a troll.
    Maybe a Glock was conceived as a high capacity replacement for a revolver... I have no idea. I don't see why Glock would forever be bound to follow what revolvers did or did not have.
    If Glock is a privately held company, of course they can do whatever they want, but the fact is they are killing their own sales, which is unfortunate because newbies to guns and concealed carry need those awesome internal safeties to prevent an accidental discharge from dropping the gun the most.

fishingmusician likes this.
  11. Orive 8

Orive 8

A problem is that while you might not actively turn on your safety, it might get "accidently" turned on, just when you don't want it to the most.

Someone once said "A gun with an external safety might never get turned on. A gun without an external safety will never get turned on."

12. ItnStln

ItnStln

Is this a troll post?

Dcc65, L-2, PaDean and 6 others like this.
  13. Tracker444

Tracker444

P
    Post 7 answered your question perfectly. A external safety can be turned on unknowingly and in a gun fight that can get you killed.
    For the record I have no issues with either platform so whatever you want to train with, good for you.
    As far as sales go, there’s a saying I heard at a training class onetime that I like. Eventually, everyone ends up buying a Glock 19 at some point. I like that saying, lol

thomasinaz, JIW25, Lefty0616 and 21 others like this.
  14. Schrag4

Schrag4

In my view, If the person handling the gun doesn’t realize the status of the safety, innocent people can die tragically. Thinking the safety is on can lead to complacency. Thinking it’s off means it’s a paperweight if you’re wrong, in the exact moment you need it. Good trigger discipline and good holsters negate the need for an external safety. Just my 0.02

15. Twin_daddy

Twin_daddy

Thanks Orive 8! That's the answer I was looking for! Now I have an idea why some people insist on a gun without an external manual safety. Personally, I can't see a very-likely situation where I could accidently turn on the safety... but at least I know that other people are concerned it could happen.

BGDaddy, Neo52, Javareload and 3 others like this.
  16. Jeff-1963

Jeff-1963

A manual safety has nothing to do with drop safety. The Glock is already drop safe. I'm sure Gaston appreciates your concern for his lost revenue. Welcome to GT.

slugger6, throb, G19 fan and 5 others like this.
  17. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Let's see.

Ignores history. Doesn't care to learn/understand.
    Assumes newbies want Glocks, but won't buy them without a manual safety.
    Assumes people drop their firearms.

Hmm. Seems like trolling.

18. Orive 8

Orive 8

It can happen, during a HTH scuffle an external safety could get bumped on. While working the slide on a Walther/Beretta flip-flap safety decocker, the safety might be engaged if the over the top method is used. While working around corners or in vehicles you could bump a safety...

Again, is it likely to happen.... probably not; but some of us don't want to take even that small of a chance that it might happen.

And yes, I have carried external safety weapons before, on duty, off duty, and with my CCW creds in the past.

19. akpls

akpls

So 3 internal safeties plus the one BETWEEN YOUR EARS are not enough? I and many, many, many others have carried a Glock since Day 1 without issue. I don't think Glock needs to justify their thinking or business model anymore to anyone at this point. The sheer number of them in use speak for themselves.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gun layman, Dcc65, TJB63 and 10 others like this.
  20. Twin_daddy

Twin_daddy

I agree that everyone should have good trigger discipline and a good holster, and for experienced gun users that would negate the need for an external safety. What I was originally talking about though, was women and some men who are newbies turning away from Glocks and the awesome internal safeties they have to prevent accidental discharges from drops, all because of the lack of that external safety. My argument is that if you don't like that external safety, don't turn it on. Sure, that safety could accidently get turned on just when you need the gun the most... but is that really a likely scenario? Most safeties I've dealt with are pretty solid. Sure an external safety could lead to complacency... but we could say that about most aspects of a gun. Somehow we manage to not become complacent about all the other features.
    OK, I'll just keep adding the Commolli (or however you say it) external safety to my Glocks and everybody else can have their stock Glocks and we will all be happy.
    Thanks everyone for the conversation! Have a great day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.