No jail time for man who killed 3 in car accident?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

From limited info I disagree with half slap on wrist with wet spaghetti noodle.

What was speed limit? Let's say 15-30 he was going TWICE as fast as legal. ( the assumption is speed limit max safe speed for average drivers under normal conditions). So clearly reckless.
    Maybe speed limit 55-70? IIRC most states 20+mph over speed limit are a entirely new level of fines. Mandatory arrest,,impound of car, seeing a judge not ticket, and release. (Maybe my memory is bad?)
    One night in jail a yr? PITA for jail personal. They are punished more then him. In most cases I agree putting him in prison does little good. But I could get much more creative. Simple things like 15 minute talk in area High schools. Loss of driving privileges. Then only to work, Dr, probation type. Responsibility to those he killed.
    I have ridden with driver who drove fast. In a pickup not designed for that speed. He was a lousy driver at 70. 80+ a road hazard.
    I have driven +80 in car. Riders don't even realize the speed. (Traffic still passing me) ;)

Thing is time saving is small, gas usage goes way up. Often leaving 10 minutes early makes for a much less stressful drive.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

Traffic stuff is weird.

A buddy of mine ran a red light and killed an elderly woman. He was sober. He got a ticket.

A family friend was in an unavoidable accident which resulted in the death of a child. The opposing car was reversing down the freeway at 1:00 a.m. and reversed into my friend at the apex of an overpass. Friend had been drinking. He got seventeen years.

Upgrayedd likes this.
  4. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Detectorist likes this.
  5. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Guy who killed my daughter was speeding, had to be detained by witnesses, along with other items to remain unmentioned. Then within a year, under the influence of alcohol and heroin, speeding, crossed 3 lanes, went left of center and hit another girl head on, luckily she wasn't killed. Both incidents happened in the same city. Local PD did nothing, didn't go to Grand Jury for an indictment or didn't do anything to him. Both times no insurance. No penalty. Later bragged on FB about being on the cell also. Still driving now.

6. -JCN-

-JCN-

I’m so sorry for your loss.

7. OGW

OGW SAF

That's painful to read. I'm very sorry this happened to your daughter and you.