close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No helmets!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by J.R. Bob Dobbs, Apr 11, 2006.

1. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I have the displeasure of being in Florida this week for work. I am not staying in an upscale area (understatement).

About half the bikers I have seen are helmetless. I'm not used to seeing this behavior. Lot's of a-shirts too. This coupled with TONS of barely alive blue-hairs driving with no concept of traffic. Though this area is so depressing I can understand suicidal behavior.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Did you see them riding around with flip-flops on too? That's another Florida riding gear fashion accessory.

But, who cares really. They do what they do and you do what you do.

3. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Someday, when you're on the waiting list for a kidney or heart transplant operation, you'll be grateful for them!

-ChaZ

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's why I like you, Chaz. You always see the positive side on things. Thanks for reminding us.:)

The way I eat and drink, I'd need both pretty darn soon.

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I haven't noticed any flipflops or short panted riders yet. Nor have I seen any sportbikers, mostly cruisers and a few older standards (my personal favorite btw).

I won't fault their right to do so, just the reasoning ;) Especially with all the sand that's blowing around in the air and piled up on the roads.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Reasons have little to do with motorcycling.;)

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Hey speaking of no helmets. fnfalman would appreciate this. I saw a guy hauling butt in downtown Indy by where I work on a brand spanking new BMW K1200S with flip-flops, shorts, wife beater and.. of course, no helmet.

I saw him again today (still doing about 70 in a 30 with lots of cross traffic), he had a helmet! But that's it. Still with the flip-flops, shorts, and wifebeater.

Glad he is taking safety seriously! :supergrin:

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Motorcycle Helmets: The difference between an open or closed casket funeral. And before you flame, riding since 1981, helmeted when required by law and helmetless in states who recognize the statement, "...the right of the people to not keep and bear helmets shall not be infringed."

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hmmm...a Beemer squid...I definitely see them all now.:supergrin:

When I was in Albuquerque this last Christmas a guy on K1200S also rode bare headed. The ambient temp was about 20F. Maybe that explained why he was going 20 in a 45 zone.:rollsmiley:

But hey, let's ride. Life is too short to be a gear Nazi. We're all adults here.

10. Camel_G19

Camel_G19

Yeah, except in my case the helmet was the difference between not walking away and walking away with just a broken wrist/minor scrapes/severe bruising.

Before that I didn't wear one all the time, I happened to be wearing it that night and it saved me big time.

That said, I hate helmet nazis. If you don't want to wear one, don't wear one. I don't preasure anyone to, and that includes my own brother that I ride with most of the time who doesn't usually wear one. Its a choice that should be left up to the individual.

I can't understand why anyone *****es about other people not wearing helmets. How does it affect you? I just don't get it.

11. Camel_G19

Camel_G19

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Because people are full of self-righteousness. And that's why we have nanny laws like helmets, seat belts and a host of other laws designed to save people from themselves.

13. ChaZ

ChaZ Millennium Member

Not also to mention gun laws, no-smoking in public place, and prohibition!

-ChaZ

14. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

That's the squid uniform here too, except that the rider has a helmet. Unfortunately the helmet is not worn the conventional way; it is pushed to the back of the head so that the bottom of the chinbar is at the same level as your forehead.

I have no idea why they do this. :whistling:

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For better peripheral vision, you silly.:supergrin:

16. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

That's exactly what I used to say... about 15 years ago when I was 13yo, knew everything and was going to be the next Jeff Stanton.

A couple years ago I proved that the difference for me is likely orphaned kids, versus riding home with only a concussion and broken clavicle... which is totally survivable.

17. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

That "peripheral vision" excuse irritates me. I have had times when riding my TL-1000 that my Arai semmed to dissappear. If it wasn't for the slight bit of tinting on my visor I would have sworn I had nothing on my head.

Unless you have eyes on the side of your head like some human-deer mutant baby, no one should have "peripheral vision" issues with a full face helmet.

18. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

My eyes tend to scan back and forth, instead of sproinging out to the sides like a human-deer mutant baby. For those people, perhaps they should get some padded antlers.

19. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Maybe it's my helmet then, because I physically cannot see where the visor ends on either side when I have it on as it ends somewhere by my temple.

I have worn many different kinds of helmets and as long as they were the correct size, I have had zero peripheral vision issues.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You guys know that I was making a funny....rrrrrrrightttt?