Glock Talk banner

No Gen5 For Me

17399 Views 86 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  GP4L
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but has the new barrel. Consider this when buying it.
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

· Registered
499 Posts
I just bought a Glock 19 gen 3. Replaced the one I gifted to relative. Perhaps the pinnacle of what makes a Glock a Glock for me. Less modularity than later generations. Simplicity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,100 Posts
Its Funny reading about glock fan boys pitch such fit most time time do a basic lack of knowledge . Does it really matter if BADOS likes a gen 5 or x or what ever !! Nope
I think the main cause of fan boy confusion is Glocks choices regarding their “innovations”.

I am 99.99% sure The 19X will be all Glock, in every regard (awesome, boring-reliable pistol, that will take extreme abuse and never wear out) but of all the possible possibilities at Glocks disposal, they chose a Glock 17 with a shortened barrel lol.

I can think of multiple other possible Glock models that would sell like hot doughnuts, and that are highly desired and requested by their customer base.

· Registered
7,858 Posts
I thought I was doing a good thing for Glock fans. I don’t own a Glock I had bought, only given my duty gun. I thought I would take one for the team and buy a Gen 5 so Glock wouldn’t go bankrupt. I saw so many people here who say they refuse to buy one, so I figured since I didn’t officially own a Glock, I should do my part to save the company and their impending bankruptcy with this new horrible design.

I picked up my 19 Gen 5 last week. I thought if nothing else, at least it would shoot. Even if the sights weren’t installed completely centered, at least bullets would come out of the hole, right?

Well, turns out I got the worst gun ever made. Here’s a list of the horrible things I have learned about my new gun since being here:

1. Aftermarket support is horrible. I won’t be able to buy slides that cost as much as the gun, or fancy triggers, or aftermarket barrels

2. The marksman barrel is a lie, and Glock is flopping on their original claims of their polygonal rifling

3. The old mags won’t work. Or they will but maybe won’t.

4. Fingergrooves. Wait, is that good? Bad? Shave them off? Leave them on? Hmm

5. Plastic sights. I won’t be able to rack my slide on my bottle opener belt buckle while kissing the super model I’m saving with my gun

6. The new finish is too slick to do the fancy press check by grabbing the front of the slide like “they” do on YouTube Even though I can see the brass in the chamber by the extractor

7. It’s a USA stamped gun. Everyone know everything is better when it’s made in ‘Merica.... except apparently a Glock.

Oh, and don’t forget the most important failure... The unbeveled frame!!!

I don’t even know if this gun is going to work. And if it does, I don’t know if it will meet my standard of 1,000,000 rounds between cleaning after being dropped from a little bird into a pile of cow ****.

· Banned
1,878 Posts
I have big hands so the interchangeable backstrap of the Gen 4-5 don't interest me. I also have concerns about the added complexity of any dual recoil assembly. Which I for one consider "an elegant fix for a non existent problem" on all but the very smallest guns. I have Glocks in Gen 1 through 3 (and a G43 whatever generation that is). I can't see a Gen 4 or newer in my future.

· Registered
3,347 Posts
6. The new finish is too slick to do the fancy press check by grabbing the front of the slide like “they” do on YouTube Even though I can see the brass in the chamber by the extractor.
Placing one's fingers near the muzzle of any chambered weapon is likely the most idiotic and unsafe practice I've ever seen in 40+ years of shooting.....

· Have Gun Will Travel
3,464 Posts
OP, you should look into things a bit more before making a blanket statement like that. I have used the Gen5 magazines in both 19.3 and 4 pistols and they worked perfectly. I have also used Gen4 magazines in my 19.5 without any problems what so ever.

I'm curious how the RSA or mag catch from your Gen3 works on your Gen4 or vice versa?

· Registered
447 Posts
I guess I'm weird - Last week I bought a G17 Gen5, and I love it. There is nothing about this new model that I don't like. I am not much into modifications on my pistols, so the aftermarket stuff doesn't bother me at all. As time goes on, there will be aftermarket products available. I changed out the barrel of my G27 and dropped in a Storm Lake .40 to 9mm conversion, and I've swapped out floor plates on my G27 .40 mags. However, the G17 Gen5 will stay stock.

24,339 Posts
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but has the new barrel. Consider this when buying it.
I'm not buying a Gen 5 either because the only real improvement I can see is the absence of finger grooves and that is a big plus for me but it's canceled out by the stupit magazine cut-out.

I kind of like the 19X if only it weren't such an ugly color. It's a Glock! it should be Black!

· Registered
8,253 Posts

Also no cut out to fill in I took the money allocated for the Gen 5 and bought another Gen 4 Gfs 19 summer special great pistol !

· ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,774 Posts
I see the Gen 5 as a full retard cluster ****. I just picked up some Gen4's recently. lol Gen5

· Registered
1,811 Posts
I see the Gen 5 as a full retard cluster ****.
I just picked up some Gen4's recently.
lol Gen5
Geez, if I had only read this before I bought my Gen 5 19

That means the gen 2 also sucks........... damn,:crying:
30 years of owning Glocks and I didn't know. lol

So I'm taking your advice.

Fortunately you don't get to decide what firearms other people should or should not buy.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.