Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
OK, I thought the Gen 5 barrels were slightly different and would not work in previous Glocks, or perhaps I have it the other way around. That may be it.

At any rate, glad to hear you CAN use barrels interchangeably like this.

Thanks.
These barrels are not compatible with G17.4 and G34.4

Barrel compatibility is between G26.4 and G19.4 (a G26 with a G17 barrel, ain't that cool? :dancing:)

The new gen5 changes that and makes G19 and G17 compatible.

· NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
727 Posts
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but has the new barrel. Consider this when buying it.
If I buy a Gen.5 I will be searching the internet looking for aftermarket finger grooves.

· Premium Member
13,623 Posts
OK, I'm confused again now.
This may help. Should be reliable. :dunno:

2). New barrel: The Glock 19 and Glock 17 have always had different barrel lock up designs and one wonders what the Austrians were thinking. The new barrel for the Glock 19 is the same as the old barrel for the Glock 19. And the barrels from older generations interchange. The new barrel for the Glock 17 is basically a long Glock 19 barrel. The Gen 5 17 uses the same dimensions for the lock up as the Glock 19. This is something that should have been done long ago, but you know how much changes in design cost. Barrel makers will simply extend the length of their existing Glock 19 barrels and have a new Gen 5 17 barrel.

· Registered
707 Posts
OK, I'm confused again now.
This is from another forum so I'm copying and pasting instead of adding the link but information is accurate:

Barrel ------------Gun/s
G17.....................G17
G17L...................G17,17L,34
G19.....................G19,26
G20.....................G20
G21.....................G21
G22.....................G22,31
G23.....................G23,27,32,33
G24.....................G22,24,31,35
G26.....................G26
G27.....................G27,G33
G29.....................G29
G30.....................G30
G31.....................G22,31
G32.....................G23,27,32,33
G33.....................G27,33
G34.....................G17,34
G35.....................G22,31,35

· Original "G"
685 Posts
OK, I thought the Gen 5 barrels were slightly different and would not work in previous Glocks, or perhaps I have it the other way around. That may be it.

At any rate, glad to hear you CAN use barrels interchangeably like this.

Thanks.
I'm not sure this is advisable. The G19 had a barrel change starting at prefix CHP resulting the the hood bevel/chamfer. Glock explicitly states to NOT switch barrel types in the slides. Reference links:
https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/slide-parts/barrels/barrel-g19-original-9mm.html
https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/slide-parts/barrels/barrel-g19-9mm.html
Given the G17.5 and G19.5 hoods do not have this bevel/chamfer I doubt it is a good idea, even if it seems to work. I would imagine this is also why Gen5 barrels have a "5" marking.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the only difference in the Gen.5 magazines were the orange color followers.
Slightly different baseplate, but it still fits earlier generation Glocks.

Still, the notion that Gen5 mags don’t work in Gen3/4 pistols is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
368 Posts
Seems some are confusing the gen5 and the 19x as far as magazines are concerned. The gen 5 mag has a slightly different shape to the baseplate, but because of the flared magwell and the space on the gen 5 grip, it will accept previous generation mags. The 19x has a lip where the gen5 has a flared magwell/space and therefore will not accept the gen 5 mags (due to the different shape of the gen 5 mag that hits the lip on the 19x.) It will however accept the older generation glock mags because those have a different baseplate then the gen 5 and will fit the 19x

Attachments

· Registered
149 Posts
The reason you get to watch most videos on YouTube for free is because of the inbedded ads which provide revenue to the people making the videos. Talk about a first world problem. "Wah! I hate the four seconds of ad I have to see before I see a video for free."

LOL.

:)
4 seconds my ass!! I know where the few dollars they make come from but, they got outa hand and most are a helluva lot longer than 4 seconds. Actually its more about the same ad running over and over and................

· "Tactical Elf"
3,220 Posts
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but has the new barrel. Consider this when buying it.

I hope that magazines aren't the only reason you would consider the 19X over the Gen 5. If so you have been misinformed, because the 19X internally is a 5th Gen pistol. Meaning it's internals are the same as the other 5th Gens.

The 5th Gen guns are a step forward at least in the redesign of the internals. earlier gen pistols used different springs for different functions, trigger return springs, slide lock, take down lever. The 5th gens use compression springs for everything which are more reliable compared to the earlier design.

I know earlier glock were reliable no doubt, but the new design should take that reliability to a new level. There are other things about the 5th gen guns, but that is just one point of the new design.

As been stated in this thread, the only difference between 5th Gen and other gen magazines, is the base plate, and follower color.

5th Gen magazines work perfectly in earlier gen guns, and earlier gen magazines work perfectly in 5th gen guns. The 19x will use any generation magazine as long as it doesn't have the 5th Gen base plate on it.

TXPO

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.