Glock Talk banner

No Gen5 For Me

17417 Views 86 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  GP4L
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but has the new barrel. Consider this when buying it.
See less
I've been buying and using Glocks since the 1990's. Over the years not only did I buy their guns, but I bought into their system. A lot of interchangeable stuff like barrels, threaded barrels, magazines and other parts easily bought on the market. With Glock Gen5 you have no interchangeable parts with other generations to include barrels with no threaded, no prior generation magazines or other parts. So…no Gen5 for me! The new Glock 19X will take the old magazines, but not the Gen5, but...
See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
13,623 Posts
Gen5 mags won't fit other generations because the angle has changed at the base of the magazine. Not sure on the "extended" magazines.
gen 5 mags wont work only because of the baseplates.. take them off and put gen 4 baseplates on and they will work in any gen including the 5
Unless I'm misunderstanding, Gen5 mags work fine in other Gen's.

I have both, Gen 4 19 & 17 "Summer Specials".

Purchased Gen5 mags, for both guns. They fit & function, perfectly! ;)

· Premium Member
13,623 Posts
OK, I'm confused again now.
This may help. Should be reliable. :dunno:

2). New barrel: The Glock 19 and Glock 17 have always had different barrel lock up designs and one wonders what the Austrians were thinking. The new barrel for the Glock 19 is the same as the old barrel for the Glock 19. And the barrels from older generations interchange. The new barrel for the Glock 17 is basically a long Glock 19 barrel. The Gen 5 17 uses the same dimensions for the lock up as the Glock 19. This is something that should have been done long ago, but you know how much changes in design cost. Barrel makers will simply extend the length of their existing Glock 19 barrels and have a new Gen 5 17 barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.