close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No fuel costs... ever.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KalashniKEV, Sep 25, 2012.

1. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

You dont understand how it works.

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

What if two Teslas pull up to the charging station for a refill at the same time?

/

4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

It's only free because the user paid for it with the purchase of the vehicle. Still won't be free at home, and California is a long drive from KY.

5. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

When they can actually produce enough of the damned things to halfway meet demand I'll be impressed.

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

If I understand correctly, then the charging station will create too much energy from the Sun and global warming will be the result? :rofl:

7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

No - it will suck too much energy FROM the sun, resulting in Global Cooling. :tongueout:

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

I am not going to stand around for half an hour after a measly 180 miles. Last road trip we went 6 hours without stopping and had a 5 and 9 year old in the car. It is cool but still not going to cut it for road trips.

Also, it looks like it is going to fly apart.

9. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

To be honest an electric car with a reasonable range (approx 100 to 150 miles) would be more than enough for 99.99% of my needs.

For my commute and daily needs the electric would be great. For the occasional long distance run I could either rent, or buy a small diesel vehicle.

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Don't hate.

This is going to be HUGE.

Explain it to me then.

Well, I suppose the same thing as when two cars pull up to the gas pump at the same time...
    :dunno:

11. engineer151515

engineer151515

Free.

Just like my future Health Care.

I see tons of $$$ charges here, starting with the unstated cost of the vehicle itself.

And who said somebody was going to let you use their carport sized solar charging system for free after 3 hours of driving and your trying to get back home? I see McD's adding a nice profit center if you need to charge up while you eat lunch.

No free lunches.

ETA: but it is a stylish looking car.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  12. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

From the article:

"Each solar power system is designed to generate more energy from the sun over the course of a year than is consumed by Tesla vehicles using the Supercharger. This results in a slight net positive transfer of sunlight generated power back to the electricity grid. In addition to lowering the cost of electricity, this addresses a commonly held misunderstanding that charging an electric car simply pushes carbon emissions to the power plant. The Supercharger system will always generate more power from sunlight than Model S customers use for driving. By adding even a small solar system at their home, electric car owners can extend this same principle to local city driving too."

So how many Tesla vehicles are they figuring on consuming this energy? 1? 10? 50? Kind of an important detail.

Who drives cross-country at 60 mph? More like 70-80. If I understand it right this will reduce the range by 15-25%.

Will these work in the sunlight-deprived Pacific Northwest? New York during the winter?

I can fill my Civic up in 10 minutes (at most), and considering I paid probably 1/5 of what that car will cost, I can't see it working out favorably, financially speaking.

What happens when Tesla's achillie's heel finally causes them a problem - the fact that they have never made any money?

13. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

The problem he is asking about is the Solar technology. We have pumping technology that can flow enough gas to multiple vehicles at the same time at an acceptable rate. I do not believe (though I don't know) that this charging system can handle that since the size of the "pump" (the sun) is constant.

IMO the future is a Serial Hybrid paired to either a biodiesel or CNG engine, (or even a flex fuel that can run both).

14. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Oh man... talk about rain-on-my-PARADE!!!

You've uncovered the HIDDEN CATCH!

You actually have to buy a Tesla!

Tesla did... it's part of the deal... if you want to be the proud owner of a supercharger station...

Wait, you didn't read the article... did you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Who drives cross-country? Chain smokers?

I don't even want to be in a car for more than 2 hours.

This is a good question for the people that live there. I could see future versions of the Tesla Supercharger being modified to supply grid power when the sun isn't shining, at a cost. They would lose the claim to zero carbon emissions though, so it's important that they at least go through this phase for marketing purposes.

Yeah, but it's a Honda Civic... this is a Tesla!
    (and... TEN minutes?)

16. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I think these things are like gas stations and are owned by Tesla.

17. quantum36

quantum36

"Each solar power system is designed to generate more energy from the sun over the course of a year than is consumed by Tesla vehicles using the Supercharger. "

This is only true because there are only "3" Tesla vehicles on highway at any time.
    :tongueout:

Seriously, the charging station will only be able to charge a few Tesla cars at same time. If in future, more people drive these cars, they will have to build many, many, more charging stations.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

In your case this might be the car for you then. I just don't see it as meaning electric cars for the masses. I mentioned cross-country because they mention it in the article. If you are going to do it you are going to do it at above 60 mph.

Ten minutes is a guestimate, and I suck royally at guestimating time. My civic will pass any Tesla - I just wait for him to run out of battery!

19. Glotin

Glotin

This is a cool step in the right direction, but I wouldn't call it revolutionary. I'd be surprised if it "changed everything". I think Hybrid electric is a necessary step before full electric is viable.

"The Supercharger system will always generate more power from sunlight than Model S customers use for driving." - Is not a claim they can make.

Still, cool idea. Probably wont be in my price range for a while.

20. engineer151515

engineer151515

Oh contraire, my good GT buddy

Those future lunch stops don't sound to me like all of them will be owned by Telsa - nationwide. And unless that property it is built on is Tesla owned, you can bet somebody will put up a toll gate so you can drive in. (I would).

And if it is a rainy day or (gasp) nightfall . . . I guess you're back on the grid.

But again, I do like the car's stylish looks.

Edit to add: we are just talking what-if. Who knows? I just hang up on the term "free". Imagine my rants when the kids were growing up and telling me the cereal offer on the box was "free". :)