close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No firing pin rattle

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Arr6, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Arr6

Arr6 .com

After dry firing (with a clear chamber ofcourse) I don't hear the rattling noise from the free moving firing pin.

If I apply very light pressure on the trigger, the pin moves freely again. Should I be concerned?

On my other two glocks the pin moves freely after trigger is pulled.

2. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

To hear the rattle and check it right, you would need to take the slide off, and use your finger to push inward on the striker safety plunger. Pulling the trigger just a little bit does the same thing. It pushes inward on the plunger so the gun can fire, allowing the striker the freedom of movement to get the rattle you're looking for.

EDIT:
    OK, my mistake. After dry firing, the trigger is ALREADY in the rearward position, and therefore should already be pushing upward on the safety plunger, making the rattle possible. On my G20 it's tough to shake it hard enough to hear the rattle because the gun is so heavy. Are the other two guns maybe smaller and lighter than the one that does not rattle?

In any case, doing the test with the slide off and your finger on the plunger is the best way to do it. And since the solution is as simple as doing a detail strip of the slide and cleaning it. I wouldn't say it's a big deal. Just clean the thing, or have someone else do it if you've never been shown the procedure.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

3. alank2

alank2

Hi,

No problem with it not rattling without a little pressure on the pulled back trigger. I think a little pressure just holds the firing pin safety a little more at bay. As long as it rattles then the fp channel should be clean of debris.

Good luck,

Alan

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Yup, as long as it rattles when you're holding the trigger back, it's good.

If you think about it, you're holding the trigger all the way back as the firing pin moves forward when you fire it too.

5. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

Do you possibly have a New York Trigger Spring setup??
    That "might" be the reason it does that??
    What do you think Butch??
    Gary

6. Butch

Well, the NY spring does cause the trigger to move forward slightly when it's released, depending on the specific gun, it could, but it can happen without the NY spring too.

7. vinnier6

vinnier6

that sounds totally normal to me...sometimes my glocks firing pin just rattles back and fourth without pressure on the trigger, and then while shaking the pistol back and fourth it will stop ratteling, then i put some pressure on the trigger and it rattles again...this would be normal behavior....

8. cderk

cderk

As BL mentioned, your best bet is to take the slide off and depress the safety with your finger while you shake it back and forth. Not only will you hear it, but you can see the pin moving back and forth as well.

9. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I have never heard any of my Glock's firing pin rattle before.

Oh, wait. Due to 10years of combat, I'm deaf in my left ear and don't hear much out of the right.

Sorry.

Paul

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. Mach5

Mach5

I'm having the same experience and I'm wondering why this is.

Facts...

- G17 3rd gen
    - Very clean and meticulously cared for
    - Firing pin rattles when slide removed and plunger firing pin safety pressed (function test)
    - Firing pin does NOT rattle when trigger is down (fired position) unless further back pressure is applied to the already-fired trigger
    - My G19's firing pin does rattle when the trigger is down so I don't understand why my G17's does not
    - I even swapped in brand new stock trigger parts for my G17 but this didn't change the behavior

Now if you look at this animation...

http://www.sniperworld.com/content.aspx?ckey=sniper_world_glock_index

... you will see that the plunger "should" be fully depressed when the trigger is in the fired position. I don't understand why the firing pin would NOT shake freely in this instance.

Yet interestingly enough, according to Glock's armorer's manual that I found on the internet (but I have no clue if this is the latest version)...

http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/glock...ual_update.pdf

... one of the tests is to "Shake gun forward and backward with trigger pulled and apply pressure to the trigger - listen to see if firing pin moves freely."

That's exactly what my G17 does (when pressure is applied to the trigger).

So my question is.... Why? I always want to know why my firearm behaves the way it does. Some folks just say to do the firing pin safety function test (with the slide removed) and if it passes then don't worry about it.

However, if my understanding is correct, a Glock could theoretically pass the firing pin safety function check (with slide removed) but then still have problems if the trigger bar fails to press in the firing pin safety plunger enough for the firing pin to be completely clear and unhindered. The firing pin safety function check only verifies that the firing pin safety works WHEN activated. It does not verify that the trigger bar is activating the firing pin safety. That is what I'm trying to figure out.

The irony is that I was originally trying to get my G-17's trigger pull restored to "crisp, like new" instead of having a very mushy second stage. I installed all brand-new stock trigger components but that didn't change the trigger feel. I then noticed that with the original stock parts and with the new stock parts my firing pin did not shake freely when the trigger was in the fired position (unless further back pressure was applied).

Anyway, if there are any "advanced Glock armorers" around here who could help shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it.

11. mongo356

mongo356

I'm not what I would call an advanced armorer.

I the last AC I attended they stated that when you add some pressure to the trigger after it is pulled it adds just enough "up" in the trigger bar to make the "hump" or cam on the trigger bar release the FP Safety. Per the manual as long as you can hear the rattle with a little pressure added to the trigger it is ok.

He did describe the method to check, & it was the slide off of the gun and finger method described above.

Personally my own OCD is I would prefer to have the FP rattle w/o adding any pressure to the trigger. Most of my Glocks don't need the added pressure to hear the FP rattle. Now that said...I know that realistically one probably cannot possibly release the trigger after pulling it to the rear anyway to make the difference.

I did have one G23 that didn't FP rattle w/o pressure. My solution was to change trigger w/ trigger bars till it did.

Your Mileage May Vary.

12. JohnTz

JohnTz

My gen2 23 needs the extra trigger pressure to rattle as well. Rattles fine with the slide off and the finger press on the safety. It has 9850 rounds through it and all I changed so far is one recoil spring and the firing pin spring at 7000 rounds. I am extremely anal on cleaning it after every range visit. I completely strip it every 2000 rounds and clean everything. I tried several others at the range this morning and they all require the extra pressure on the trigger to rattle. I doubt it makes any difference as long as the slide off rattle test is passed.

13. Lawman90

Lawman90

Straight from my Armorer's Manual; Check Routines after Reassembly:

Shake gun forward and backward with trigger pulled and apply pressure to the trigger - listen to see if firing pin moves freely.

So correct, if the trigger must have pressure on it to move freely, this is considered normal. :wavey:

14. Butch

15. mongo356

mongo356

Cool Video...Butch your not only a photographer but a blockbuster movie maker as well!!!

16. Butch

Yup, I put a lot of time, effort and cash into that one!

:supergrin:

Well, hopefully it will convince them that their Glocks aren't broken and don't need to be fixed.

17. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

An item worth checking by removing the firing pin assembly on a detail strip: where the striker spring contacts the spring cups. If the tip of the spring wire happens to land exactly at one of the joints between the two spring cups, the spring cups can be forced slightly cockeyed and can therefore rub slightly on the internal polymer channel sleeve. This might be an explanation of your reduced pin movement during testing. To correct this condition, if it exists, compress the spring and rotate the cups so the spring tip misses that spring cup joint.

18. Lawman90

Lawman90

+1 to that!

When I first got my Glock 17, I dry fired it constantly (as I do with all new guns, to get a feel for them) and then I stumbled upon the "cracked breech face pictures". Well, I went to examine my breech face and saw what I thought was a crack...upon detail stripping, I realized it's actually part of the breech that is a bit deeper cut into the frame where the extractor sits above! I was relieved, but I can see why somebody might get paranoid about their gun being broken if they just got it! :supergrin:

19. Mach5

Mach5

Wow there is a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks everyone!! The detailed explanation and video were very helpful.

Would it be fair to say that if the firing pin safety plunger was not moving "up" enough, then the trigger would never fire because the hump on the trigger bar would be unable to move far back enough while interfacing with the plunger?

Or, would it be possible if someone went crazy with a file to their trigger bar hump or if the parts were somehow misaligned or out-of-spec that the plunger would never be pressed "up" enough for the firing pin to clear the firing pin safety even though you would still hear "click" and the trigger would seem to fire?

The video seems to describe perfectly the behavior of my G17. The trigger is pulled, the firing pin fires successfully, and then the firing pin safety plunger seems to "rest" or put pressure against the firing pin unless additional back pressure is applied.

20. Mach5

Mach5