No Country for Old Men (thread #5,338)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PBCounty, Mar 15, 2010.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

I just saw it for the first time. Good movie.....but wanting more in the ending. It was a bit of a let down after a good ride.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I don't see how it was the best movie that year. That Slumdog one was not that good either. I agree the ending was not cool in No Country for Ole Men..it would have been better if the bad guy had been blown away. :upeyes:

3. jhs71

jhs71

I was thinking at the end when his wife was fixin breakfast at how bright that scene was and him telling the dream that at that point he was dead already.

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

Could be.....but I guess that would make the scene over my head.

5. Kickitsimple

Kickitsimple

6. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

The whole point of the ending- is that it wasn't an ending. It was the end of the film, but it was not the end of the story. The story- the struggle between good and evil- is eternal.

This approach is common in Native American storytelling.

My (optimistic) interpretation is that evil (obviously represented by Chigur) still exists, and someone new must step up to the fight, since the Sheriff is too old.

And people told me a lit degree was useless:supergrin:

7. PBCounty

PBCounty

Interesting.

8. gearjammer351

Hey PBCounty-

I know this is off topic (but you're obviously online right now). Have you found a new job yet?

9. PBCounty

PBCounty

Funny you ask.....

I have an interview in the afternoon. I have been prepping for it (was provided material) while playing on GT. If it goes well, it should be a very good job. It will be my second of three interviews for the job. If I pass tomorrow, one more to go......

Thanks for asking.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  10. gearjammer351

I wish you luck. The recession has been tough for a lot of people.

I've had my own difficulties. I just graduated last May, but haven't found a good job yet. I am currently employed, but it's a low-paying dead-end job. It's enough to pay the bills, but not enough for ammo:crying:. I just finished a course for teaching certification, and am going to apply for teaching jobs soon.

What sort of work are you trying for- something you've done before or something you want to do?

11. PBCounty

PBCounty

It has, not doubt about that. I have many family members who are out of work. That's all the more reason for why I have to get back to work as I have been helping out.

I work in the gated community / country club environment. Whatever the job title, that's what I'm used to. I fell into it at a young age and that's all I know. I work more or less in an admin / problem solving role for the clients / members. Thankfully, we have many such facilities in my area. That's what I left, and what I'm seemingly going back into.

I wish you the best of luck out there.

12. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Back on topic:

the story was Ed Tom Bell's. Not Lewellyn's. That's where everyone gets lost.
    Ed Tom basically realized he was "too old for this ****" so he retired.
    We see the circumstances that lead him to this conclusion, and we see that he has indeed stepped down. He has a dream of his father and sees himself heading on the same path: rest, retirement, death.

Chigur and Lewellyn are just footnotes in his career. The world is that way. Everything keeps turning and there's usually not some neat wrapped up Hollywood ending that results in closure.
    And that's the beauty of this story.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

What? You don't think Cromardie is up to the task? :rofl:

14. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Probably two of the best interpretations of this movie I've ever heard. I only had to watch it about a dozen times to get some understanding of it.

15. shavedape

shavedape

Cormac McCarthy = unsatisfying story, always. Terrible writer. Nuff said. :wavey:

16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

good movie.

i feel the point was that the world changes as does crime and old ways of doing things in police work just dont match up well against new ways of doing crime.

many small towns are run even today by mayberry mentality police chiefs even though the dynamics of policing need to change, they just arent progressive enough (police wise) to see it, accept it, face it, or even try to deal with it in a modern way.

not the case with tommy lee in that movie, but he had to face his own mortality and come to grips that times have changed, and time has taken it toll on him.

17. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

And that's about all mine's good for, too.

I once had an English professor tell us in class, "If you don't get the end of the story, you didn't get the point of the story."

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

Naw......you guys got it all wrong.

The movie was about Llewellen's wife's mother. When her daughter was young, she wasn't able to get her into a good daycare. As a result, the daughter's education got off on the wrong foot.

Later on in life, she fell behind in school and her mother was unable to tutor her or make up for the things that she wasn't learning.

As a result, she never was able to get into a good college. She ended up dating a string of less than desirable guys, the last one being Llewellen.

Now, if Llewellen's wife's mother had done a better job of educating her daughter, her daughter would have lived long and made a productive life and been able to take care of her mother in her old age. Instead, she got killed and was unable to take care of her mother.

ANYBODY should be able to see that......

Wait.....maybe that was "No Country for Old Women"...

19. loki993

loki993

I don't know, maybe I need to see it again, but I was sitting there at the end thinking what the hell just happened?

20. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Well, she lived long enough to bury her mother.

Gearjammer351, where can one read more of these tales?