No .300blk ammo for rest of year

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by HuntingFree, Jul 11, 2020.

1. HuntingFree

HuntingFree

Just had a conversation with my local gun store, they have been trying to order 300blk from several manufacturers and are being denied. Federal ammunition told them that they will not make any .300blk for the rest of the year because of demand for .223/5.56. For those who don't know, .300blk is made with .223 cases that have been trimmed down.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah there are only so many ammo production lines. I'm sure they are running 24/7.

3. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

That sucks. I really like their black box subsonic 300 blk. That was hard to find before the pandemic.

What i don't get is that most retailers (online or otherwise) are flush with (and getting restocked regularly with) fudd ammo, especially target shotgun loads. My local gun store got two pallets of 12 ga target loads the other day. Why aren't manufacturers consolidating on defensive ammo?

Lagamor likes this.
  4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Form your own cases and load. I’ve never bought a factory loaded round for my .300 AAC.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

If you’re still buying ammo at the local gun store, you’re doing it wrong.

AmmoSeek(.)com shows Federal available. There are other online ammo search engines as well

-JCN- likes this.
  6. HuntingFree

HuntingFree

I do not own or have a desire to own .300blk. Sure there is ammo for sale, just no new stock being produced. Shout out to ammoseek they have all the ammo at a fair price, I stocked up on cases a few months ago. Russian steel cased ammo will still be imported, there's no shortage of that stuff.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Ok, then why start the thread?
    The casings for .300 BO are a bit different. A shortened case and necked. New casings are just that, they are manufactured as .300 BO, they are not modified. Gun shop counter monkeys are usually the last ones to listen to.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Lagamor likes this.
  8. flyover

flyover

Hornady's black box 190 gr. subsonic is a favorite of mine. Very difficult to find, it is out there but with scalper prices.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Never mind

6Actual likes this.
  10. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

.300 BLK is a super easy to reload cartridge
    [​IMG]

geodan and 10or45 like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Folks, most of the major American ammunition manufacturers schedule their production runs a year or 2 in advance. It's not like they can just change their minds. This is why even some of the major LE/Gov ammunition contracts run out for 4-5 years, to give the companies time to schedule the runs and slipstream them into their regualr production.

Also, when it comes to retail/commercial market orders, it's not like they can anticipate the less popular calibers to suddenly experience heavy demand and shift their production to reflect changing market tides.

In these current times both 9mmP and 5.56/.223 are staple calibers that are in high demand by a majority of both public and gov buyers, and the demand has been building in recent years, so guess where the scheduling attention has been focused, and will likely remain focused for a while?

Kind of like suddenly wanting to buy W-W .357MAG 145gr STHP, and being told that the company may only make a production run of it every 2-3 years.

Putting some of your favorite factory ammunition back when you can find it now and again (for whatever you consider to be affordable pricing) is one way to keep ahead of shifting market forces and unexpected "panic buying" episodes.

Fortunately, the equipment used to make .22LR is separate from the equipment used to make centerfire ammunition, but as we saw in recent years, even that may not be able to offset sudden panic buying and hoarding.

ruffhunter and 6Actual like this.
  12. Eagle54

Eagle54

Best advice right up here. :)

Buy common/Military calibers "they" said...cause the gov't uses them ammo will always be available.

Buy uncommon calibers said "they" said...cause everyone will be after the common calibers and ammo in uncommon calibers is less likely to sell out.

Yet here we are... :)

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Before I entered LE I was primarily only interested in .357MAG, .45ACP, .44MAG and .45Colt.

I looked at .357MAG as being my "medium power" caliber choice, and the larger calibers ranged from "adequate" (.45ACP) to more potent (especially since I handloaded .44MAG & .45Colt).

I eventually became interested in .38SPL & .44SPL as more than handloading and range enjoyment exercises, and began carrying them off-duty (with factory ammunition, as required by policy).

Then came the day when they told me I had to carry 9mmP on-duty. :eek:

Once I decided to become a firearms instructor and armorer, and our duty calibers started to morph a bit, I started adding 9 and .40 to my personally-owned pistol collection. I even added .380ACP later on down the line.

Rifles? Since I'm not a hunter, I only have .22LR/MAG, .30-30 and 5.56. My shotguns include pumps and a H&R Topper (gift from my dad in the late 70's), all in 12GA. I really wish I'd kept an early model Ruger .44MAG carbine and a Marlin .444, both of which I foolishly let slip away as a young man.

So, nowadays I find I'm not all that limited to caliber and ammunition availability, having previously spent some occasional disposable income over the years toward squirreling away factory ammo for everything I own and shoot, even if I didn't see a "need" for it at the time.

In the last 2-3 recent years I've been getting out and unpacking long-stored boxes and plastic bins of "extra" factory ammo I'd picked up at older sale prices in the 80's, putting it away against any potential future time of "ammo famine" (or more frugal finances). I was kinda surprised by the amount of forgotten ammo I'd squirreled away back then, discovering a respectable amount of .45ACP. .44MAG & .357MAG I used to buy for range and off-duty use. I even came across hundreds of rounds of 9mm JHP I vaguely remembering buying when I had to originally acclimate to carrying (and practicing) with 9mm, after they took away my issued .357MAG. Guess it paid off. ;)

NewWaveGuy and ruffhunter like this.
  14. Lagamor

Lagamor

Trapshooters are reliable consumers, one flight is a hundred rounds. They go through many thousands of rounds every season.

PEC-Memphis and 10or45 like this.
  15. 10or45

10or45 NRA Benefactor Life Member

Same here

16. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Last month 1 million guns were sold to new gun owners. They aren't shooting trap.

17. Lagamor

Lagamor

Out of that 1 millón how many were expected?
    Do you expect them to $&!¥ out the ammo for that over night?

18. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Guns have been flying off shelves since March. I used June alone as an example.
    No one is buying trap guns, they are buying black rifles, handguns and tactical shotguns.

19. fistagon

fistagon

58sniper likes this.
  20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

^^^ darn good ammo
    Great price as well