close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NM resident - get NM CCW or Utah CCW?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by calviroman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. calviroman

calviroman

HI,

I'm military stationed in NM and planning to get my CCW. Some of the instructors here provide instruction that meets the requirements for NM and Utah (so you can apply for either/both if you want).

Your thoughts? Get the Utah CCW or NM?

2. fwm

fwm

3. Abq-Defense

Abq-Defense

Agreed, Both if you travel around any. The 1 class allows you to file in both States, and the additional cost for the 2nd permit isn't much. You end up being allowed to carry in ~34 states if you have both permits.

4. opskmallory

opskmallory

Don't get a Utah permit. Half the reason BCI is so backed up on getting permits out is because a third of applicants don't even live in Utah.

Don't take it personally, but I think Utah CFP's should be limited to Utah residents only. If people want it so bad, move here. It's not a bad place to live. :)

/end rant.

Personal opinions aside, get them both. The Utah permit is great and widely accepted. It takes a few months, but with how many states honor it, it's worth it.

5. 05FLHT

05FLHT

As a resident of a State that has legislated citizens defenseless (IL), I appreciate your patience. Truly and sincerely, thank you. :patriot:

6. kensteele

kensteele

I thought UT puts priority on residents?

OP, I would get UT first if limited to just one but both is probably better.

7. Dogguy

Dogguy

Since you are just stationed in NM while in the military, how long will you be a NM resident? Will the NM license still be valid if you become a resident of another state?

Having a non-resident license can be beneficial to someone who moves frequently. If Utah is like Florida, you will have to report a new residence but the non-resident license is still valid.

8. Riz58

Riz58

Both. Many instructors in NM are authorized instructors for both states. You do get broader "coverage with both. Particularly if you are going to travel in the South, Utah has coverage available there while NM does not. There are some states that honor NM, but not Utah.

9. calviroman

calviroman

Thanks for the replies. I will probably get both. I am stationed in Albuquerque, and will be retiring from the USAF in about 3.5 years. Not sure if I will stay in NM afterwards or not.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

If you want to carry in FL you can only do so on a FL permit or a permit from the state you are a legal resident of that FL accepts. Since you are in the Military I am not sure what state is your residence but if it is NM and get a Utah permit you can not carry in FL legally. You may or may not care about FL but passing it along.

11. blackjack

blackjack

The only reason I ever considered a UT permit was for travel in NV. Since that has gone away, I just let my OK permit cover my travel needs through reciprocity. As noted by Jon_R, some states are only reciprocal with resident permits (CO and FL being ones I know) or their own state's non-resident permit.

12. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

Get them both, without question. The more coverage you have the better. Even if some in Utah don't like it.