close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NM Antelope Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by sp3worker, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

I am going out for my first antelope hunt in New Mexico Sept. 18-19. I was planning on using my Ruger M77 .270 Win. with Federal 130gr. balistic tips. I have been practicing at 200 yards, not anywhere locally I can shoot farther. Any advice from somebody who has done this before, what can I expect? How easy can you stalk up on them? Thanks.

2. jtshombre

jtshombre

I haven't hunted New Mexico, but I have hunted them alot here in Eastern Montana. Shots are going to be long, you picked the perfect round however, I've had a number of one shot drops with the .270 and 130 Federal factory loads. If you can find where they are watering, sit around a water hole, that's the easy way. They also don't like to jump fences, they will usually duck under them, so when they slow down to duck, that's a good place to be. Sounds like you'll be hunting them pretty close to the rut, they can be fairly easy to decoy. Some guys tie a hanky on a stick and let the wind blow it, and they're nosey enough to come check it out. Watch the does however, they're like deer, and will bust you quick, and I'd advise against running shots unless you're real good at leading them, they don't call them speed goats for nothing! I find the meat milder than venison, as long as you get them skinned and cooled asap! They are lots of fun to hunt, best of luck, and be sure to post a brag picture when you get that 16 incher down!! My best is only about 14, and I have one mounted in the house, they make a real nice mount.

3. tjpet

tjpet

Glass and stalk (or "put a sneak on them" as is said in these parts.)

Watch for the does as mentioned earlier. They've screwed up more hunts for me then I care to remember. There's always one or two that seem to be the herd lookout(s).

Antelope have incredible eyesight so plan accordingly. Take advantage of the terrain as there's usually not much top cover on Western flats. I try to use arroyos (ravines) or slight folds in the land to get close, then pop up within distance to shoot. Don't be in a hurry.

Sight your gun in 3" high @ 100 yards. You can then hold dead on out to 300 yards and get your goat.

The actual killing is anticlimactic if everything else has been done right. The real buzz is getting close.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have not found antelope hunting to be all that fun. I do it every year though. It is more of a go out and shoot one day than an actual hunting experience. All the suggestions so far are good ones. Use terrain, use wind and if the time of year is right use decoys. Anything white, of any shape or size will work. I have even used the white patch that is inside my baseball cap to get one in within 50 yards.

I think the biggest thing in antelope hunting is to make everything seem like things are normal to the antelope. Or if things are out of place make them seem curiously out of place. Antelope are curious.

A friend of mine and his brother were bowhunting them. They had this dry ravine to work in. It was just deep enough that if you stood up your head stuck out of the ground. My friend would run down the ravine 50 yards to one side of his brother and stick his head out for a few seconds, then he would duck down and run about 50 to the other side of his brother and stick his head up again. That seemed curisouly out of place to the antelope and they came right in to see what was up and his brother ended up getting a bow shot about about 30 yards.

Use your imagination while hunting antelope and have fun.