NJ Fines Another EMS Squad $617,000

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by WT, Feb 3, 2020.

1. WT

WT Millennium Member

New Jersey has fined the Lanoka Harbor first aid squad $617,000 for operating 3 unlicensed ambulances for 76 days and not having the minimum number of EMTs on board for 541 calls. Some runs did not have ANY EMTs on board. The charges covered a 1 year audit window.

LHEMS is a volunteer organization, funded from donations.

An audit was performed after an anonymous complaint. LHEMS has 30 days to pay the fine.

Several months ago similar charges were brought against the Somerville First Aid Squad.

Edit: Lanoka EMS denies responding with no EMTs on board. They called out mutual aid.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

Getting volunteers can be a problem, but if you don't have the staff, fess up and put the responsibility on the county.

Next town over was volunteer for many years. Then the town became a retirement mecca. Elderly retired don't volunteer much for ambulance and fire depts. Town had to go to paying full time paid medics and fire dept. and the tax rate shot up.

3. Tvov

Tvov

I wonder if this investigation was occurring at the same time as the one in Somerville? I would think that emergency services in New Jersey would have quickly reviewed their procedures after hearing of one investigation.

I still don't understand what fining, for hundreds of thousands of dollars, a volunteer organization will accomplish. They obviously don't have the money to have a paid crew, where in the heck would they get money to pay a fine like that??

Why doesn't the whatever government department investigating them just tell them to change their response protocols?

Just like the with the Somerville situation, sounds like just political crap going on.

NW IL River Rat and larry_minn like this.
  4. WT

WT Millennium Member

Oh, to heck with it. Government has to provide police and fire services. They don't have to provide Emergency Medical Services. Let patients get themselves to the ER - call a taxi, hitch a ride, crawl in the gutter, etc.

My old squad never charged. All our funding was from donations. We bought our own rigs, supplies, our own building. We received no money from the government.

An old friend told me that volunteer EMT staffing is now a critical problem. They are working long hours which really affects the night crews. Lack of money caused them to give up 'first responder' duties.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  5. Tvov

Tvov

What a way to thank volunteer EMS for helping their community.

RovinOn, larry_minn and bdcochran like this.
  6. WT

WT Millennium Member

Due to the pandemic NJ Health Department Authorities have suspended the rules dealing with vehicles being licensed as ambulances.

For the time being, vehicles which once had a proper ambulance license can still be used if the license has lapsed.

I assume squad management will use good judgment before sending vehicles into service.

7. Tommy Gunz

Tommy Gunz

It's a Republican area. 88% voted Trump.

bdcochran likes this.
  8. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Could be lobbying pressure from private ambulance companies.

They can't make any money if volunteers are cutting into their profits.

nikerret, larry_minn and chiefjack like this.
  9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

A volunteer city department was getting dispatched where they arrived AFTER a paid squad from city with hospital was on scene. Extra 20 miles. Seems county notified them 15 minutes earlier before paging city. “We wanted the more experienced service to transport”
    So the service complained, county wouldn’t do anything. City closed the department.

10. Tvov

Tvov

I am not understanding this - not enough coffee yet this morning. City closed the volunteer department because they complained?

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Reimbursed runs dropped to nothing. The small volunteer department doesn’t get paid when they show up, but the patient is already being taken care of. Dispatch has a lot of control. (It was not a department I ever worked with). A HS classmate’s wife was a EMT. She told me about it yrs back.
    I guess “paid” isn’t totally correct. They didn’t get paid “on call”. But got paid “after page, till rig back in station”
    Where full time bigger city, hospital based got paid straight hourly wages (was my understanding)
    Volunteers got upset, city loosing more money... they quit.

Small town EMS costs the workers personal money in many cases. You pay for your own training. At least your time, transport. You do fund raisers to pay for equipment. Go to area businesses, civic groups to beg for donations. Set up at fairs, civic events..
    Can’t drink on call, run to next town on spur of moment...

WT likes this.
  12. jonb32248

jonb32248

Did anybody die or get hurt probably not, so lets put them out of business.Stupid people on govt.