close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NJ Archery Opens Sat.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TJC, Sep 7, 2004.

1. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Any of you GT'ers hunting NJ Sat.? According to the weather, rain next 3 days and nice Friday late and all weekend. Should make for a good morning on Sat.

I've got a ton of deer coming to the feeders but nothing nice in the horns dept. That's OK, we have to take a doe first anyway.

Good luck to any going out.

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

I didn't do any hunting in NJ but I did go hunting last Sat in Montana (since that is where I live). Didn't get a chance at any deer but a blew a chance at a 6 point bull elk. (Western points system says 6 points on each side, not total) He would have scored somewhere between 340 and 360 in the Pope and Young scoring system. Then Sunday afternoon, I tailed another smaller 6 point bull elk for about 400 yards. I had no way to work around him and the only thing he would give me to shoot at was his butt. I had to watch him walk away.

It was a great weekend though. I was surrounded by elk all weekend.

3. stk10767

stk10767

4. TJC

stk10767,

Good luck to you all too. It should be a good morning Sat, except for the high temps. Yuck!

I've already picked out which doe is to be the one. In the event she goes to the apple tree up the street instead of the feeder, I've got a fill in for her. LOL

No, the hitting of the deer at work would not have been good.

I'm going to go see if I can post a pic of the chosen doe.

5. TJC

The chosen one. I hope to have her by about 0630 Sat morning.

If not, one of her 10-12 friends will do. LOL

It's time to go get ready to go pheasant hunting tomorrow. Leaving at about 0515 in the AM.

6. stk10767

stk10767

7. TJC

stk10767,

Scored this afternoon on a doe after about 2.5 minutes in my stand. Really, didn't even have my hood, gloves or release on. Just hung my bow up and a doe was walking around under me.

By the way, the 11 pt at Meadowood is also dead as of 5 PM this afternoon. No, not me, John.

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

Man, you guys aren't hunting you are shooting your pets! ;f ;f ;f

Good job anyway! I have never had the time to get that personal with deer. I guess that's why I haven't shot too many with the ol' stick and string.

9. TJC

lomfs24,
    You are pretty close to the pet thing. The deer that I'm shooting are all tucked into neighborhoods. They live in the back yards. All you need to do is throw a feeder up and they come in like flies on crap.
    They are way over populated and need to be culled. In our area you have to "earn a buck" tag. So you must shoot at least one doe before you can shoot a buck. That's why everyone tries to score quick on a doe in the early season.

Back at it this afternoon. Going to spot number 2 tonight. ;f

10. tree house

tree house

I'm in Cranbury area....used to hunt Colliers Mill area and a buddies farm up here in Monroe Township . Now I almost hunt in NY exclusively on property I have up in Delaware County. Not nearly as many deer but it is worth the tradeoff not to see a strip mall from your treestand ;-). NJ is just too damn crowded (both deer and houses) :-(. Good luck this season.

11. TJC

tree house,

We're hunting in Morris County. It is crowded and I do see houses from both of my stands. But there are deer there for sure.
    I missed number 2 last night. :( :( I don't know how, but I did.

We'll get 'um again Friday.