close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nissan Exterra little wire welded to starter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Aug 7, 2012.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

WTF is it, the little wire welded to the back of the starter - I'm sure it's a ground wire but why?

2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Pictures? I can't think of a purpose a "little ground wire" would serve on a starter.

3. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I' m not near the car one of my sales guys in extreme South Texas was trying to replace his starter and brought up the wire. I also have no idea what size the wire is could be OO could be 16awg.

4. gigab1te

gigab1te

Its what detonates the dynamite! I hope your wife made sure the life ins. premium was paid up.

Seriously, I have no idea. What does it run to?

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Any wire to ground a case that is not used for current return, is for electrical noise reduction/suppression.

It is an additional cost to put there by the manufacturer, and the watchword is "reduce cost, increase profit". If it was not specifically necessary, it would not be there.

There are Federal mandates for automobiles, that limit the amount of radio frequency spectral noise they are allowed to radiate at a specific distance from the source. Sometimes this means grounding a piece of housing that may re-radiate electrical noise from the brushes arcing when running.

6. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

That makes more sense than anything else I've heard today.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

My wife would just shoot me.

He couldn't tell where the wire ran too. He's a nice guy but not the smartest.

8. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

While I was aware that there are concerns (even restrictions) on incidental radiation, it never occurred to me that it would involve cars starting. It makes sense, in that there's a great deal of energy being converted into magnetic impulses, and thus a resultant wide band disruption of frequencies.

Great answer, thanks for making me aware of this.

9. G17Jake

G17Jake

If you click the link, you should see a starter for an xterra. I didn't know the year of the vehicle or engine size, so this maybe doesn't apply, but the solenoid has a wire tacked on.

There is a picture of the back of the starter at link.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_01920_1433007_-1&pt=01920&ppt=C0330

I hope your friend disconnected one side of the battery (usually negative side) before he starts wrenching on the starter.

Unplug the solenoid connection. Disconnect the battery cable from the bolt, and remove the mounting bolts.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012