close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nikon press release

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by nipperwolf, Jan 11, 2006.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Nikon prepares to strengthen digital line-up for 2006

Wednesday January 11, 2006

Nikon Logo

Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years, which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikon’s UK business being within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras. This decision will allow Nikon to continue to develop products that match the demands of an increasingly competitive market place.

Despite this growing competition Nikon Corporation has continued to outperform the market, and has recently reported positive financial results which saw group net profit climb by 20% in the fiscal first half which ended in September. Group sales also increased by 9.8% to 342.85 billion yen in the same period. Sales of high end digital SLR cameras and the success of products like the D70s and D50 have helped contribute to these positive figures.

As the film camera market shrinks and the popularity of compact digital cameras increases, demand for products that offer advanced features and extra value is continuing to grow. High performance digital SLR cameras are performing well as users shift from film-based SLR cameras or upgrade from compact digital cameras to digital SLR cameras.

As a result of the new strategy Nikon will discontinue production of all lenses for large format cameras and enlarging lenses with sales of these products ceasing as soon as they run out of stock. This also applies to most of our film camera bodies, interchangeable manual focus lenses and related accessories. Although Nikon anticipates that the products will still be in retail distribution up to Summer 2006.

In recognition of Nikon’s commitment to professional photographers we will continue to manufacturer and sell the F6, our flagship film model, as well as a number of manual interchangeable lenses. Sales of the manual FM10 will also continue outside Europe.

Notes to editor

• As well as the F6 film body and the manual FM10 Nikon will continue to manufacturer and sell the following Interchangeable manual lenses:

Nikkor 20mm f/2.8

Nikkor 24mm f/2.8

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8

Nikkor 35mm f/1.4

Nikkor 50mm f/1.2

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8

PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D

• After-sales service will continue to be provided as before, according to the policy for each product.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Wow...just wow!

I knew it was coming, but wow.... ;P

3. hatidua

hatidua

Interesting that they are stepping out of the view camera market. They weren't exactly Schneider's but they gave Rodenstock and and a few others some competition.

4. j doty

j doty

I guess there will never be an F7 camera. History-in-the-making! Buy up those F4's,5's, and F100's! Film will be around for awhile!

5. kato4moto

kato4moto

Coincidentally, I've got an F4s and an F5, plus a brick of Velvia, for sale. Interested? :)

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Sure, there is still some left in one of my drawers, although it looks a bit dusty... ;)

7. j doty

j doty

I just bought ANOTHER F100 and a 18-200 VR lens(for digital). I don't know if I can justify. What is the price for the package? (and individually). Did you fall hard for digital? I have 2 D70's that I really like. I hear a D3H may be in the works, and I'm really thinking that direction, too. Or the D200. But I'm still shootin' film. can't get away from liking transparencies.

8. kato4moto

kato4moto

J Doty: I know what you mean. I still like Velvia's color reproduction better than digital, though I've got to admit that digital is even sharper. But it's so sharp, it looks rather artificial.

I started digital with a D2H in July '04 and picked up a D2X last August. Got to admit, enjoy the immediacy of digital and the ability to delete on-site. Don't like having to lug a laptop around everywhere along with CDs.

Right now, most of my work is for magazines with only a few commercial shoots so JPGs are fine for most of my clients.

Sent you an e-mail on the bodies. :)

9. spober

spober

man ive got thousands in nikkor glass and manual film nikons,nikkormatt,nikonos(underwater machanical camera)etc....photograghy is simply a hobby.films still in my future.until they come out with a full size receptor in a consumer priced camera.1000-1500 is too much for bottom end SLR WITH APS SIZED SENSORS.Ill put my money twords other things thank you very much.