Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by cmb2874, Jun 22, 2005.

1. cmb2874

cmb2874

Thinking of getting a Nikon D70. Anyone have one? Opinions? I know they run around $1200 or so and I have a corporate discount and can get one for $800 for the next month. Just wanted some thoughts.

-CMB

2. WERA49

WERA49

I don't have one, but wish I did. I went the cheap route and bought a Fuji S7000. I really miss interchangeable lenses.

If I could buy a D70 for $800, I'd do it TODAY! :)

3. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

I just bought one last week and it is exceptional.
    The battery life, large CCD and good nikon glass are great.
    Check out this review for detailed critique

I bought the 18-80 nikon lens. I already had a 70-300 G series lens(a great performer at an inexpensive price).

4. 40SX

40SX

Well I had a D-70 for almost a year. I said had because it's been in the repair shop for 2 weeks now. I havn't used it very hard, maybe 150 to 200 exposures. I went with the D-70 because I have been a Nikon man for about 25 years and owned a bunch of Nikon auto focus lenses. My camera was not subject to any abuse. A couple of weeks ago I went to make a photo when my mirror locked-up and I got an err message. I'm not really knocking Nikon, but there are too many people having like problems, usually after just about a year.

My expeience is, if your going to own a digital camera, you better own 2, because when it's most needed it will be in the repair shop.

I took my D-70 to my local Best Buy, and after they tossed it in it's box, they said I should receive at my door in about two weeks. I asked where it was going to be repaired and they said it's some 3rd party repair shop. Why did I get the extra 3 year warranty anyway.
    Maybe I should have looked at the Cannon 20D.:soap:

Good luck,
    Dennis

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

My dad sold me his Canon 10D when he bought a 20D. I got the body, a 50mm lens, charger, Lexar 128mb CF card, CF card reader, PhotoShop Elements 2.0, and battery for all of $800.

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

i have nothing but praise for the d70. it is everything i thought it would be and more. i frequent a few photo forums and i have noticed no trend in problems. but, you can get a problem in anything, nothing is prefect.
    mine has the 2.0 firmware update and i could not be happier. get the kit with the 18-70 lens, it is a bargain and the lens is not just a crappy one to fill a hole. it has gotten high praise from everyone who has reviewed it.
    get it, you wont regret it.
    if you have any doubts, ken rockwell thinks its the greatest and his website is a wealth of info. he loves the kit lense too and you can read all about it and have confidence in a pro's opinion.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

7. General Sherman

General Sherman

They are $950 at B&H with kit lens.

8. Ducman

Ducman

I love my D70,
    I haven't had any issue or problems

The camera has good speed and flexability

If you have a chance to pick one up for cheap thru a reliable source, then definately get one, get the kit lens, its the perfect walk around lens

9. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

[​IMG]

I've had mine for less than a week and I've taken about 1200 photos like one after another at baseball scrimmages.

10. WERA49

WERA49

Cmb2874, check to see if the D70 has a TTL flash meter. IIRC, it does. My Fuji S7000 does not. That would have been a deal breaker for me if I'd know that. I did lot's of research, but forgot to check that feature. TTL flash is very handy.

Yes, I can work around it, but it takes more time. Sometimes a 1/4 sec. really does matter. (even with slow speed objects at weddings, parties, birthdays etc.)

11. jolly roger

jolly roger

Got one and love it so far, but I keep my Nikon N80 and an old Canon A1 just in case...

12. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

not just ttl, but a new generation that is supposed to be a lot better. i know mine is awesome. very hard to take a bad pic(as far as exposure is concerned).

13. j doty

j doty

Great camera. I bought one and then bought another a few months later. I even had a neckstrap come loose, dropping one from my neck onto a gravel drive... and aside from a few minor cosmetic scratches,it is still working great. It has dropped even more in price since the D70S came out.

14. j doty

j doty

Oh, and the D50 is in stores now for about $750 sans lens. If you already have a D-point-and-shoot, the D50 uses SD cards like many of those do.

15. 40SX

40SX

Well, I just talked to customer service at Precision Camera in CT. They gave me the great news that I should have my Nikon D-70 back in about another month and a half. It needed 2 parts, a shutter box and something else that I forgot to write down. She said 4 to 6 weeks to get the parts and another 7 to 10 days to install. She said parts were ordered 6/21/05.

Like I said if you own 1 you better get a second because #1 won't be there when needed.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    I've had a D70 for over a year and have take a couple thousand photos with it. I love it, and highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. hile

hile

Beautiful shots, TBO.

18. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

i have heard folks say that they do not freeze motion well, but mine is awesome.

19. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

20. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

ok, just one more