close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nike+

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gh0st614, Mar 31, 2012.

1. gh0st614

gh0st614

Anybody use this thing? I want to get something to kinda make my running feel like more of a accomplishment, and let me track my progress better. Ive been working out for the past month to get into better shape for the Army or Navy and Ive really neglected running since I did not have the proper shoes for it.

Now I got the proper shoes and they work with the Nike+ thing so I was just looking for some personal insight into it and if its worth it or not. The wristband is like $60 and I dont want to spend the gwap if its not worth it. I already got $200 into the shoes alone.

2. coastal4974

coastal4974

Holy cow, $200 shoes! I thought my $80 were too much. I go through them in about 3 or 4 months.

I looked at the Nike+ but decided so far to go with the Garmin, the price is about the same. I didn’t buy it yet, I’m hoping for Fathers Day or birthday.

For now, I’m using an app on my Android.

3. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

The garmin 305 or better is a much better solution. Wristwatch GPS that records speed, ascent, descent, heart rate, and where you traveled.

It also calculates calories burned, avg speed and heart rate, and you can upload your route directly into google earth.

I got mine for 130 on amazon. It all uploads to your pc and comes with program to analyze your data.

Can also be used on a bike.

4. SIG-O-MATIC

SIG-O-MATIC

I second the Garmin. I have Forerunner 610 and 910xt. Love them both and very little issues with either.

I credit my Forerunner 610 with helping keep me motivated as I started running last year. When I started running last August, I could barely run a mile. Now I'm running half-marathons and biking like crazy.

I don't know about the Nike system, but Garmin does GPS and does it well. Good luck.

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Thats a lot, got some good low cost Reeboks and Adidas at Big 5 for like $40.

:50cal:

6. Ewalk

Ewalk

Now I got the proper shoes and they work with the Nike+ thing so I was just looking for some personal insight into it and if its worth it or not. The wristband is like $60 and I dont want to spend the gwap if its not worth it. I already got $200 into the shoes alone.[/QUOTE]

I got nothing to add but I just wanted to commend you on your use of "gwap". That word doesn't get enough play. Thank

7. Case de Callier

Case de Callier

I do... and love it!

I did not buy the shoes as I run barefoot (five fingers). Just bought an external pouch for the chip to attach to any strap or lace (of the shoe, dont get silly). I challenge my dad every month.

***WE ARE RUNNERS!!!***

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

This

Some pretty good iphone apps too.

9. gh0st614

gh0st614

I tried a android app after I heard FreeRunner was good, FreeRunner was getting some bad reviews for their GPS info so I tried another called. MapMyRUN+ Its cool I can input everything I eat and drink (too tedious) but I went on my first jog while I was grilling some steak and it gave me some terrible data back lol. I went on a 1.29mi Jog/Run and it took 4:56 minutes?? I had a average speed of 15.74mph. Thanks for the faith android, but I think something about having the phone in my hand messed it all up. The distance seemed short but I dont know how the map was perfect on google maps with my trip.

The only thing I can think that threw it off was I went into a dead sprint as fast as I could for the past 50 yards or so and then I look down and its giving me a score like that...lol Id love to run under a 4 minute mile, but I walked for 30 seconds twice. So I know that **** is way off.

10. coastal4974

coastal4974

I have MapMyRun but haven’t used it, I also have endomondo which looks better but again, I haven’t used it.

I’m using RunDouble for the 5 to 10k training. This seems to be working pretty well when it comes to time and distance. From what I understand, the gps accuracy is mostly based on the phone maybe not so much the app.

11. gh0st614

gh0st614

Ill check those apps out too, yea I figure the GPS shouldnt be app dependant but they are all programmed differently so there may be little things.

Im going to skip Nike+ I think since I dont have any apple products. I think one of those Garmin watches might be a better solution. I really dont like running with my phone as is. Its kinda big.

12. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

It looks like the 305 has been replaced with the 405/410 as the economical watch gps of choice.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Wireless-GPS-Enabled-Monitor/dp/B0011UNMIK/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1"]Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 405 Wireless GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with USB ANT Stick and Heart Rate Monitor (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DWET%2BP%2BDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41DWET%2BP%2BDL[/ame]

I love my 305, I'm sure the 410 probably is even better. I threw my forerunner on today and took it mt. biking into some country I've not ridden much before and was able to mark out all the trails I took on google earth which was very handy!

13. coastal4974

coastal4974

The 410 is the one on my list.

14. coastal4974

coastal4974

I agree, the phone is big to be running with but I would probably take it with me JIC anyway.

The phone was too heavy for me to run with it clipped to my waistband so I got a pouch from Amazon that has been perfect for me. It lays flat under my shirt, stays put and I don't even know it's there.