Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking lately about posting something about improvements in my joint issues. I've been doing SS for 3 weeks and progressing right along. I think I've been joint pain free during most or all of that time.

Two days ago, we made some paleo chili with 3 lb of lean meat and I ate a bunch of it -- probably about 2 lb in two days. I had eaten little or no nightshades in at least a month, if not longer.

WOW, what a difference!!! Last night at the gym, I didn't even make it out of my warmup without having to drop everything but presses. My right knee was killin' me, lower back and neck were hurting like crazy. My left wrist was threatening to hurt during presses, but it never really flared up and I was able to finish those. Left adductor was threatening to spasm. Incredible.

Not sure that this is my only problem, but I'm a believer in avoiding nightshades, at least for me, at this point.

Strangely enough, my shoulders feel perfect at the moment. I've screwed with the program and am doing presses every time instead of alternating with BP. Rip even says that he's seen presses fix countless shoulders and BPs have almost always hurt my shoulders, so it seemed like the thing to do. Seems to be working. Problem is that doing presses so often causes me to top out faster. I did 140x5x3 last time, but only got 145x5,4,3 last night. I was feeling pretty off, though. Might alternate presses and push-presses when I stall out.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well, I have never read too much about them Brad, but if it works for you fantastic!

About pressing 3x weekly, I think it can be done with success, but you may have to fiddle with your volume and intensity. I would recommend that one day per week you do some sort of CAT with your pressing. Take 60%-65% of you 1rm and do 5 sets of 5 with 45 secs rest between sets. Move the bar as quickly as possible.

Do your normal 3 sets with 5 reps once per week. The other day do either PP or work up to a heavy 3 rps set.

This will give you a H-L-M sort of routinne.

FWIW, At one point in time Harry Paschall reomended working 10 -12 single at a high intensity (can't remember % right now although my nenory hints at 90% of 1 rm) for 6 consecutive days! I know if this used to be productive a 3x weekly HLM schedule can't be too much.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
SOmething esle Brad, you may try cutting back on your number of worksets. Instead of 3 worksets of 5 every workout, you could work up to one workset of 5 reps 3x weekly.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of things to try, you'll just need to experiment.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. I'll probably try placing the speed day as the second of hte three days in a week. Probably sub PPs for the third after I stall.

The PM and CF folks talk about nightshades a lot. Some people have some pretty serious problems from eating them. I think mine are minor, but perhaps enough to cause some joint inflammation.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In a nutshell, nightshades are a group of plants including all peppers except black pepper, tomatoes, tobacco, and I forgot what else. Some people experience joint pain and all kind of other problems from eating them. I think it has something to do with sensitivity to alkaloids.

There's a lot of info at http://www.noarthritis.com/

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The PM and CF folks talk about nightshades a lot. Some people have some pretty serious problems from eating them. I think mine are minor, but perhaps enough to cause some joint inflammation.
Brad who are the "PM" folks? Is this an acronym that needs to be added to the FAQ?

When you moving?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Impressive response pro! You get an A+ from the S&C Mystery Shopper! No longer do we need to bring it to your attention in the FAQ thread! I hope you can live up to the standard you have set for yourself! :wavey:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a dumb question at all.

I can move into my UK office any time I want, so I'll move in at the first of August. I'll be preparing for my one Fall class, which won't take long. I can also consult on engineering projects that increase our chances of acquiring externally-funded academic research projects and help the engineering community in general (not just designing something to make money with no benefit to the university or mankind in general, in other words). Most professors do this and it is not discouraged. I actually don't know how professors get adequate research projects without doing this, but some do.

I'll be doing this before classes start in late August and as much as I have time for in the Fall. I'll be a part-time instructor during the Fall, starting full-time in the Spring, so my opportunities to consult will be far more limited then. I have a couple of current clients that I believe will sponsor academic research projects, hopefully starting in the spring, so I want to embed myself into their operations as much as possible while I have the chance. That way, I will know what they need researched and can hopefully talk them into funding the projects.

Interestingly, my mentor made a 40 year career out of this exact method of acquiring privately funded projects. He's a National Academy of Engineering member and I think he had <5 publically funded projects his entire career. Coming from a business background, this approach makes a lot more sense to me than writing NSF and DOT proposals as the primary strategy, although I'm hoping to figure out how to get work that way too.

Of course tenure is decided almost entirely on the amount of externally-funded research projects completed.

That's my long-winded answer.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UK as in Kentucky.

LOL, excuse me while I go on a totally off-the-subject rant.

I would actually probably be a lot better off if I was in the UK, career-wise anyway. I do floor vibration research (like some guy walks across the floor and shakes it enough to P somebody off) and there is little funding in the USA for that.

In England, they had their Millenium Bridge debacle in 2001 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAXVa__XWZ8 ) which was an embarrasment. Since then, there has been unfreakinbelievable sums of public money being thrown at the subject...over there. I just read last night that the other major floor vibe research team in the world, besides ours, has been awarded $600k to research the subject.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts