Nights Sights: Glock vs Meprolight vs Trijicon

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigWaylon, Mar 20, 2007.

1. BigWaylon

BigWaylon

I've done a lot of reading up on sights (as much as possible since the search is acting odd for me)...and I'd like some specific feedback...

I can get the three sights listed here from my local Police Distributor, with no installation charge if bought at the same time as the handgun.

Glock: $57.20
    Meprolight: $66.00
    Trijicon: $79.20

I'm not looking for feedback on other brands...just these specifically. I'm hoping it will help others, as I believe these are the three options when ordering directly from Glock (those are the only three listed on their LE discount sheet on the counter...I'm guessing put there just to make us civilians drool).

I've read good and bad on this site about all three of the above. I will say I'm leaning (pretty heavily) towards the Meprolights, for two reasons:

1. the Mepro front is screwed on instead of crimped like the Glock
    2. the Mepro dots are bigger than the Trijicons

just seems to be the best set of features, and the price is pretty decent...

I would like the Trijicons better if you got a bigger gap on the rears due to the dots being smaller...but they look almost identical to the Mepros (as far as the rear gap is concerned). The Glock sights and the Mepros look almost identical, in regards to the "dot" portion, which definitely supports the commond discussion on here that Mepro makes the factory Glock sights.

I've done some reading on the Truglo TFO's, and really like the picture that's around here somewhere showing four different brands lit up at night...but TFO's are not one of my options. Please respect the thread and discuss only the three above.

I really wish you could add a poll to the thread, but I don't see that option anywhere...am I missing it?

Thanks.
    Greg

2. hrygeek

hrygeek Thank you USM

I can only comment on the meprolights as that's all I've ever used. I've had them on my G22 for 6 years and they are only slightly dimmer than my brand new ones on my G27. They make a great target picture. I don't know what else to say. I like them and will not hesitate to ever put them on.

HTH

3. gary newport

gary newport

Some folks say Mepros are "brighter" than Trijicons. One big difference, as far as I'm concerned: Mepro tritium tubes are surrounded by white plastic tubes while Trijicon uses a painted-on white ring (to give a "three dot" sight picture in daylight in both cases). The Mepro rings last, while the Trijicon rings may wear off.

Glock night sights are, I believe, made with Meprolight tubes, but have the MAJOR disadvantage of using a crimped-on front, as you noted.

4. cmcinc

cmcinc

I have the Glock night sights on my G27 and have had no problems with them even with the front sight not being screwed on. Very bright at night and line up easy for day time shooting.

5. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

I've got Mepros on my G27 and Trijs on my G26. The Mepros look a bit brighter, but the Trijs are a few years older.

Same warranty and the Mepros are lower priced.

I'll be buying a set of Mepros for my new G22!

[​IMG]

6. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

I tried to delete this post but couldn't .... so what the hall ...

here's a pic of my Grandson Jason .... at 2 years old .....

doing his impression of ....

CHUCKY!!!!

[​IMG]

7. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I've got OEM Meps on my G21, and in over 7500-rounds, the crimped-on front sight has stayed put! But I do not holster this gun...

The Mep's big orbs are brighter than the Trijicon's sapphire-lens markers, but the Trij's are sharper day and night. Both are plenty bright for target acquisition. Ultimately, the Meps are the brightest I've seen.

As was already mentioned, Meprolight uses more durable white plastic markers, while Trijicon paints theirs onto their sights. We've had reports of these wearing/washing off; but the Trijs on Judy's G19 still look great after 4000-rounds (I see no reason to use harsh solvents on sights).

For me, the Meps are great bull's-eye sights out to about 30-feet.

The Trijicons have a narrower front sight blade, offering more light within the rear notch. I would have to say they're better for targets beyond 30-feet.

--Ray

8. gary newport

gary newport

My main objection to crimped-on OEM fronts is REPLACING them--which will be necessary eventually. Replacement will be easier with screw-on fronts.

9. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Yeah. This was my first handgun purchase, and the differences were not pointed out to me...

Still, for my part, it's all good. I anticipate replacing both front and rear sights when the time comes, anyway. I suppose the front Mep can be punched out.

One thing: I've had to reinstall every front sight my gun shop has mounted for me, with the exception of that crimped-on Mep! ;)

--Ray

10. BigWaylon

BigWaylon

I remembered the plastic vs. painted issue earlier, but forgot it while I was typing the original post. It was one of the other reasons I was leaning toward the "aftermarket" Mepros over Trijicons.

There was an instructor at the police supply store when I was there, and he likes his factory sights. He also said he popped the front one loose once, and just recrimped it. He admitted it was probably not the Glock-recommended way, but worked fine for him.

I just think for the ~$8, why not go from the Glock to the Mepros...and the larger size, brightness and more permanent white ring cause me to not want to pay the extra for the Trijicons.

Keep the feedback coming for me, and for future readers/posters. I will be making the decision by mid to late next week, and will post up pics when done.

Thanks.
    Greg

11. gary newport

gary newport

I shot my Mepro-equipped G38 at the last Monday Night Shooting League in the "PPC" division. The ten-ring is from a B-27 target; an oval about 4"x6". Shots inside the ten-ring score ten points, inside the nine-ring score nine and so forth. The COF is two strings of six rounds each @ 25 yards, four strings of six rounds @ 15 yards and two strings of six rounds @ 7 yards. I shot three relays and my scores were 475, 473 and 473 out of 480 possible.

The Meps are pretty usable even beyond 30 feet! :thumbsup:

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

2) "For me, the Meps are great bull's-eye sights out to about 30-feet." These are 2 X 3" bull's-eyes; but it's all very personal... Still, point taken! ;)

1) You'd shoot circles around me, Gary! :thumbsup:

Nearly a year ago, I took one of our subcontractors shooting, and I was able to shoot both eyes out of the sunglassed perp target at the back (50-feet) of the range. I did this with the G21 & OEM Meps, mentioned. When I reeled in the target, the guy said something like, Oh, jeez! I was shooting often then, and it was a good day. At any rate, he now returns my calls immediately! :supergrin:

I'd still rate the Trijs a little higher as long range target sights...

My DP FO Adjustable sights are the best I have. But they're not night sights.

--Ray

13. gary newport

gary newport

I think a slightly skinnier front would be quite useful, especially at 25 yards. What I forgot to mention is that the oval ten-ring is not clearly distinguished from the nine-ring, etc--they are white with thin black rings and a small black X--indistinguishable at 25 yards. Optionally, we may mark the center of the ten ring with a 1" orange dot and/or a 3/4" black target paster. So the visible "bullseye" is only an inch or less across! The fat Mepro front is probably a handicap under those circumstances--most of my shots outside the ten ring certainly occur on the 25 yard strings.

14. Ken43

Ken43

I didn't read all of the posts on this subject. I have both on different guns. The Glock nightsight is easier for me to see in the daylight. I can't really tell the difference in the dark, however, I haven't compared them. The Trijs. are easier to change if you need to change them. The Glock front nightsight is crimped on and it takes a special tool to do the crimping. The Trijs. front nightsight is held on with a screw. It is very easy to change and work on. Both sights are guaranteed for at least 10 years, so changing them may not be a problem. I just changed my Trijs. nightsights on my G-27 after 13 years. They finally got to dim for me to see. If you need to at a later date the Glock nightsights can alway be replaced with the Trijs. nightsights. That would avoid using a crimping tool.

15. PRERUNNER221

PRERUNNER221

I'm actually looking to buy one of these this week, probably the Trijicons. Where did you get your prices from? I went to Trijicons site and they're asking $100 for the night sites.

Also, has anyone tried the green front site with the orange rears? I would probably sticj to green/green, but was wondering if anyone tried them and found them easier to use at night. Thanks.

16. gary newport

gary newport

Check prices at Lone Wolf Distributors, GlockParts, Glockmeister, etc.

17. BigWaylon

BigWaylon

that's the price at the local Police Supply distributor...not an aftermarket price, but price with purchase of the gun...it's the discounted rate, not the general public rate...

some similar discussion on that here:

https://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=662892

Greg

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Keeping with BW's request, we've dealt only with the three sights, Glock OEM, Meprolight, and Trijicon.

Another alternative is AmeriGlo, also available from Lone Wolf.

You can see their stuff at: http://ameriglo.com/

I've looked at these and am very impressed with them. I plan to install the Operator set in yellow/green on my next Glock--a G30. FYI, the white markers are plastic, not paint, and the tritium ampoules are supplied by Trijicon.

Yellow and Green tritium lamps have about the same life. Not so with other colors...

--Ray

19. PRERUNNER221

PRERUNNER221

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=295&back_row=6&categoryID=7

They actually answered my question, I just hadn't gone far enough into the site. This is for the Trijicon night sites, so it's still on the original topic. They say the green is the brightest, followed by yellow, followed by orange. I guess I'll be going grn/grn.

Great post, as like I said, I've been trying to figure out what I want for about a month. Thanks everybody.

20. gary newport

gary newport

Brightest isn't always best when it comes to the REAR sight! I have green/green and green/orange set-ups and prefer to have my front sight by far the brightest, which the green/orange gives me. I found the green rear dots tend to overwhelm the front dot.