close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nighthawk 750?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by cessnastud, Jul 14, 2006.

1. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

I've have'nt been on a bike since I graduated college about 6 years ago and I'm thinking about getting back into riding. I used to bounce around town on a 1982 GPZ550. It ran well enough and fit my budget, but turn heads it did not. That all being said, I was looking for some opinions on a 750 Nighthawk. I want a commuter (about 8 miles one way) and something to run around the local area and do my errands with. I might throw some luggage and a windscreen on and do a quick jaunt, but nothing serious (I'd probably rather fly to where I'm going anyway). I appreciate the Nighthawk's understated apperance and it's utility, but I was looking for other rider's impression and comments. I'm open to any suggestions, but I'd really like to stay under $4000. Economy, reliability, and useability are more important than looks and white knuckle speed. Thanks for any and all help, fire away!

I would also like to add that I don't consider myself an experienced rider. I took a MSF course (and want to take another) and have logged a couple thousand miles, but I prefer not to overstate my skills.

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I think it's considered a standard, so insurance won't be as outrageous as it would if it were a sportbike. Since it's a Honda it should be relatively trouble free if it's taken care of. The DOHC 750 should give you plenty of pep, and you'll be able to outrun just about any cruiser on the road. I don't think you'll have a problem finding one in that price range, either.

3. BCM

BCM

First, its a Honda, as much a I hate to say it, it should be bulletproof, if your comfortable on it, you may never out grow it. Stylish ride with potential for add-ons such as windshield, saddlebags and a tankbag. Keep up on general maintenance such as oil changes, tire pressure, chain adjustment and lube, battery and lube the cables and it should serve you well for many miles

4. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

I have an '03 CB750, the last year of production. I really like it. It is a large bike for its displacement. Not crazy fast, but faster than most V-twins. Aprox 69 horsepower. Low redline for a 4cyl, 8500 (with cut off at 9000). Change the oil and adjust the chain and you are pretty much set. The valves are self-adjusting, the cam chain is auto-tensioning.

I've ridden it in a lot of environments, from 1000 mile days to the Blue Ridge Parkway. The CB750 doesn't really excell at anything, but it is so versatile that it does everything pretty well. Turn in is on the slow side compared to a sportbike, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than a cruiser in curves. Suspension is kinda basic, but if you want, you can always install some better shocks and cartridge emulators in the front forks. It works fine stock, but aggressive cornering on flinty pavement brings out the weaknesses.

It's easy to hang soft luggage on it and tour to your hearts content. The seat is ok...when touring I use a sheepskin cover, it helps a lot.

It's a great bike, tame by todays standards, but not boring. When it went into production in 1969, the term "superbike" was coined to describe it. The only things I would change in a perfect world are to have dual front discs and a rear disc instead of the drum. Maybe shaft drive too.

You should be easily able to find one in good condition for under $4000. The main options are centerstand, case guards, and the Hondaline backrest/luggage rack (which I don't like for looks, but love on long trips to strap things to).

Oh, I should add, the weight is carried high, it is not as easy as some cruisers for a beginning rider perhaps, but certainly doable.

2003:
    [​IMG]

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

My 95 Nighthawk 750 is my second bike. I got it in terrific shape with 17k miles for $2600 in January, and have put 6k miles on it since. I did some research before buying and the CB750 is a whole lot of bike for the money.

I love it, only thing I don't like is the pegs get in the way of backing up. It's quick enough to be a fun ride (last generation makes 75hp running 1/4 mile in 12.1) but not so fast that it will wheelie by mistake. I've regeared (sprocket swap) for a little added pep. It's an easy bike to ride smoothly, stay on the throttle and the power keeps increasing right up until the rev limiter kicks in.

It appears to be about as maintenance-free as it gets....hydraulic valves mean you shouldn't ever have to open up the motor. I've been riding it almost daily and it hasn't had a single burp, nor seeped any fluids.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I took my MSF course on the 250 Nighthawk.:supergrin:

7. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

Just a weeeeeeeee bit of difference. :)

8. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. It sure sounds like one helluva bike for the buck. I've been trying to locate one for sale in my area, but I 've only found one. It is listing for $2995, but it has something like 32,000 miles on it. Seems kinda high to me. I'm going to keep searching, but it appears that people would rather hang on to their Nighthawks. I guess that speaks well to their quality. Any other suggestions are still welcome as it will probably be a bit before I make any purchases. Thanks again.

-CS

9. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I guess if it were a Harley 32,000 miles may seem like a lot, but it's a Honda. If it was taken care of it should still have many more to go. Take $2700 with you and offer the guy $2500. It would be worth every penny.

10. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Somewhat local dealer has a 1993 Nighthawk 750, blue, 15,XXX miles, for $2599. Looks really nice in the online pics. I am seriously thinking about taking a drive to check it out.

11. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Blue is a very nice color on that bike. These bikes (last generation) generally aren't known to have any problem areas.

At 15k miles the bike may be ready for a new chain and brakes unless they've already been replaced. Try to get a little $$ off if the indicators say they're worn. Price seems right unless it's damaged.

12. jeffd

jeffd

In that price range look at Kawasaki ZRX's too.

Check out: http://zrxoa.org/forums//

It's not too much bike for your experience level, just ease back into it. It addresses all you needs INCLUDING looks and being fast.

13. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

The Nighthawk 750 is an excellent bike. I owned mine for 2 years before it left me in a divorce sale. Plenty of power, low maintenance (clean/lube the chain every 500 miles). I rode mine moderately and at 13000 miles I still had plenty of chain and sprocket life left. 45 MPG around town, 50-55 MPG on the highway. Passing slower traffice was a breeze even two-up, twist the throttle and they appear in your rearview mirror. It's not the fastest, most comfortable or "coolest" bike around but it is an excellent all around ride that will serve you well.

14. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

I haven't made a move on a new bike yet. It seems like it one thing after another around here. Recent unexpected vet bills have set me back a bit, but I hope to grab a bike before the end of the summer. I'm not holding my breath, but I think I can make it happen. Thanks for the replies.

-CS