Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up one of my dream prep items. A AN/PVS -14 with the whole kit, weapon mount, head set and a MITCH mount. From my limited research (which consisted of emailing the guy from the nv gate sub forum ) it's a gen 3 with either an omni4 or 5.

So other than the usual dicking around and camping trips, are there any non TEOTWAWKI applications for such a piece of equipment?

· Registered
1,684 Posts
First, congrats!

The answer to your question is yes.

Useful in many of the same scenarios you would use a flashlight for, but stealthier.

Want to check that noise in the backyard without scaring it off, use the NVGs.

Can't find that piece of whatever and the wife is asleep, use the NVGs.

Game is generally out more at night and hunting seems more fun with NVGs. I'd say it's less sporting, but It's really not any different than shooting from a stand. The animal doesn't know you're there either way.

That said, tactical applications is where it shines, or doesn't...lol.

Being able to see in the dark is an incredible force multiplier. Train with it.

· Banned
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Those are some good ideas. I really need a bigger bed side safe so I don't have to keep such an expensive piece of equipment just in a drawer....

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
Lots of uses....

..but since you mentioned camping...

..NVD are a great resource for star gazing & meteor showers.

I can distinctly make out a Galaxy that appears as a star to the naked eye..

..soooooo many stars.....

..and for every "shooting star" I can see with the naked eye..

..tens or hundreds with my Gen III+ units.

My grandmother (before she passed) said she was amazed at her many decades of skywatching (including binoculars)...

.. she had no idea just how many stars there actually were (using Gen II night vision back then).
She was awestruck! :)

Thermal also has interesting uses with skywatching..

..meteors & anything that flies! ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.