GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
AAAMAD
30,915 Posts
These things have a very high resolution and should be good out to a few hundred yards for larger targets. Give up on the idea of using it without an illuminator. I have a very cheap Nightfox digital binocular style night sight and it works very well for what it is. It can work with visible or IR light, using visible light it needs more light than my bare eyes. Starlight scopes need no IR light as long as your target is exposed to star or moonlight. As far as I know no digital night scope can claim that.

Starlight scopes were early gen 1 NVG’s and would definitely benefit from an IR Illuminator.

Higher end options, like the PVS-9, 22, 27 will perform better with their big lenses they bring in more light to the intensifier.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Starlight scopes were early gen 1 NVG’s and would definitely benefit from an IR Illuminator.

Higher end options, like the PVS-9, 22, 27 will perform better with their big lenses they bring in more light to the intensifier.
We had 3 of these per infantry company when I enlisted and the lenses were pretty big IMO. My point was the digital scopes have to have the IR illuminator on to work in the dark. They do of course work in daytime without it.

·
AAAMAD
30,915 Posts
We had 3 of these per infantry company when I enlisted and the lenses were pretty big IMO. My point was the digital scopes have to have the IR illuminator on to work in the dark. They do of course work in daytime without it.

And my point was that yours wasn’t entirely accurate.

A digital scope does not need an IR Illuminator to function. But it will increase the resolution and clarity of the image.

A modern digital NVD will perform fairly similarly to a 70’s era starlight in a lot of conditions.

·
Anti-Federalist
18,823 Posts
The only thing I've learned for certain at this point is that NV isn't cheap and trying to go cheap will leave you wanting. Either plunk down the loot for tried and true equipment from people that have been in the business for awhile or just go do something else with your money.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts