Night Vision Scope

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by J_Rico, Oct 22, 2020.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

A co-worker bought one of these.

ATN 4K Day/Night Scope
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JYL16...&colid=TLLB6GO02YE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

He showed it to me and it looked pretty cool. I was on the verge of buying one and did a few searches. Find people praising it and people bashing ATN in general.

Anyone here try one? Or have a suggestion?

I may or may not take it hog hunting, but more likely it will be a range toy.

2. DonD

DonD

Looks like a testimony of the continuing rapid growth of electronic capabilities. Chips of staggering power and innovative software.

I don't have any personal knowledge of ATN other than that they've been working the non military market for a long time. I don't have any personal use for it, that's not a criticism, I just don't need the capabilities this scope can offer. Don

3. Deltic

Deltic

I looked into these and a fair amount of people on YouTube said they are just not reliable. Also these are not for any serious tactical use as they use an IR illuminator. That means anyone else with night vision will see it like you had a flashlight.

George Kaplan likes this.
  4. fx77

fx77 CLM

5. dbak

dbak

Go thermal

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  6. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks but I want to shoot at paper targets most of all.

7. J_Rico

J_Rico

8. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks

9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

ATN is Chinese made junk.

10. J_Rico

J_Rico

Okay. Any suggestions for non-junk?

Or suggestions for where I can go to read about it? I know pretty much nothing about night scopes.

11. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

12. J_Rico

J_Rico

I was looking at the $6-700 ATNs. Would like to keep it close to that.

That one you linked looks interesting. Even less the the ATNs.

Thanks.

13. J_Rico

J_Rico

How far might one be able to acquire a target. Say a steel target on a range without an illuminator?

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Depends on the amount of ambient light. 50 yards maybe on a bright moon

Your budget is on the extremely cheap bordering on junk level. If you want into the NVG game, 1500 is about as low as you can go and get a quality used product.

15. J_Rico

J_Rico

That Wraith was out of stock, but Amazon has it. I found a few very positive reviews online and was seriously considering ordering one.

Are you saying it is junk?

I am looking right now to just dip my toe in NVG. May lead to me spending a lot more. May decide I do not care for it.

If I were to spend a couple thousand what would you recommend?

16. bdcochran

bdcochran

I do not own the product. I have worked with night vision over the least 30 years.
    1. Read the negative reviews on Amazon. When the negative reviews run around 10%, I start to look further. Read the dates on the negative comments. They date from and end late 2018. So you would have to call about the problems set forth 2 years ago and if they have been corrected.
    2. I went to the website to learn what battery is used, whether it is integral with the unit and cannot be replaced, whether it was a weird battery requiring a new charger. No information.
    3. If you are shooting at the range, I wouldn't bother. Even if the unit were correct and had no problems, the source of your errors and most people's errors is not understanding human ergonomics and how to shoot. Most people go and sit at a very uncomfortable range table, hunched over. Not good. Or they shoot prone with the legs at a 30 or 45 degree angle to the upper body like they learned in the Army. Again, not good. Or they rest the barrel on the back end of a pickup truck. Not good.
    4. I could not learn whether this was Gen 1, Gen 1.5. At the price, I doubt that it is Gen2.

Over the years, I have hoped - and it hasn't happened - that prices would come down to the point that Gen2 equipment would sell at old Gen1 prices. Hasn't happened.

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

If night goggles sells it, it’s not junk.

But it’s important to understand you’re looking at an optic that is 1/4-1/3 the price of most NVG systems on the market.

As for what I’d suggest, it really depends on what you’re looking to do. A weapon mounted NVG will allow you to shoot, but you have to be aiming the gun at whatever to see it. A head mounted NVG gives up some aiming precision, but when coupled with a laser will allow you to shoot, and observe.

You can find a good NVG scope or PVS-7/14 in the 1500 price range.

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

This is digital, the generations apply to traditional NVG’s, not digital stuff. The performance can be between 1-2-3 depending on the ambient light available. With a good IR Illuminator they can offer fairly good performance.

19. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thank you.

AK_Stick likes this.
  20. Deltic

Deltic

These things have a very high resolution and should be good out to a few hundred yards for larger targets. Give up on the idea of using it without an illuminator. I have a very cheap Nightfox digital binocular style night sight and it works very well for what it is. It can work with visible or IR light, using visible light it needs more light than my bare eyes. Starlight scopes need no IR light as long as your target is exposed to star or moonlight. As far as I know no digital night scope can claim that.