close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by bassmaster1974, Jan 7, 2010.

1. bassmaster1974

bassmaster1974

Going to buy some night sights for my 21sf. I am leaning to trijicon.I can get them out the door at my local shop for $100. My buddy has the mepro's on his with orange rear and green front.They just dont feel right when I look through them.I think it is the orange.1ST question is do the trijicon have more illumination than the meprolights?Or is it just the orange color looks dimmer than the green? 2nd question is what color combo's do you guys like? I have not had the chance to see anything other than the orange/green on a gun but I was leaning to green/green or yellow/green.I know it is all personal preference but Im just looking for some input.Thanks.

2. Wickersham

Wickersham

I like Ameriglo - they are basically just like the Trijicon, only with PVC rings around the lamps (Trij paints the rings on and they don't hold up as well). I have also noticed that the front sight appears a little brigher, making the sight picture easier to acquire.

Ameriglos are super bright and the people working there are top notch, plus they have any configuration you want. Use GSSF as coupon code and get 25% off - making them much cheaper too.

I like the green/green, or the green/yellow. Orange is dimmer than green and does not last as long.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Check out your options at www.ameriglo.com

Green is brightest, followed by yellow, orange, blue and red. I don't know if anyone still makes blue or red night sights.

4. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

I have some Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8s and I like them very much. I'm not saying they're the best for you or anyone else however I've spent a ton on sights over the years and I wish I'd purchased these first. They use the Trij inserts so you have that if you are concerned with that issue.

5. Sportsfame18

Sportsfame18

6. tango44

tango44

Meprolights are the brightest, avoid yellow or orange in your sights stick with green ones for the best night oe low light conditions bright.

7. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I like the Trijicons-Very sturdy and they last(mine have a 99 date code and still work great-painted rings still look good also)
    The Ameriglo operators do look interesting to me though.

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

9. bassmaster1974

bassmaster1974

Thanks for the help guys.I'll go with ameriglo or trijicon.What do you think about green rear and green front combo?

10. Cineski

Cineski

How does the brightness of the XS sights compare to the Ameriglo? My dilemma is to either go full XS on my G19, or front standard dot XS w/ factory fixed rear, or Ameriglo front with factory fixed rear. I don't like 3 dot sights, or dot the dot. I prefer dot the i, but wish it was available from a company like Ameriglo.

11. 2 Hawks

2 Hawks ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have the Amerigo operator sights on both my Glocks, both fronts are green the rear of one is yellow the other is green. I like the yellow rears better, makes the front stand out much better. The operator sights have a lot more gap as you look at the front sight you'll see more space. Some people don't like this but it makes for quick sight alignment. And getting good hits out at long ranges is still possible. You'll really like the smooth profile. They're easy to install if you have tool skills, comes with a tool for front sight installation. If you order online from the manufacture use discount code "Grady". You'll get a hefty discount.:wavey:

12. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Glock factory sites are no longer pressed in. they have a screw these days.

for the price,i would get the Glock factory ones. Send them the slide and a CC# and they will install them for 60 or so dollars.