close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Night Sights...or Light?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by eboggs, Jun 19, 2012.

1. eboggs

eboggs

Well.....like the title states......should I get night sights? or a light (x300) for my Glock 19....((first :whistling:)) Im sure ill end up with both first.....

Other than the uber duber cool factor of a light mounted under a G19 IMHO, to me (granted ive never had experience here so correct me if im wrong) a light in a HD situation at night would iluminate the target/room and make your sights visible via their silhouette, instead of nights sights, giving you dots....but still too dark to identify your target??? This only makes sense to me...of course I could be totally wrong...im sure ill end up with both...and the light will be only attached at night since i am going to ccw it.... I dont mind the stock sights though.:supergrin:

So I guess im asking,,,,is one worth buying more than the other? are they both good investments? whats your opinions?

Im either thinking, gear up my glock, which will do everything i will want it to, or spend this money PLUS more on an HK....just because ive wanted one....but at the same time...I see no practical reason to having one other than I love the USP's looks, always have....please talk me out of that one. :upeyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. bam1131

bam1131

Actually a light mounted on your gun will not illuminate the sights enough to be clear(I've tried). I have both Meprolight night sights and a streamlight TLR-1s. The light is for target identification and the night sights are to make sure you blow your intruder to hell. Lol. For the money of a x300 you can get night sights AND a streamlight tlr-1 or tlr-1s. I prefer the strobe feature. It blinds the hell out of whoever is unlucky enough to be staring down my barrel. But hey, do what you want. You only live life once, so make the most of it and protect it.

3. JBS

JBS

Remember, if you are married or a parent what you point your weapon mounted light at is what you point your weapon at in your home.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

For what it's worth I do a LOT of low light/dark shooting, 4-5 evenings a week (home range).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMO the King is the gun mounted laser/light, followed by the laser, followed by the gun mounted light, followed by night sights.

Without going into a long thing, when timed against myself at night using a laser or laser light against night sights I can put 1-3 well placed bullets in the target before I can get off the first, usually not as accurate, shot with night sights.

This is typical.
    One of my practice guns is a Ruger 22/45 that I mounted a Streamlight TLR 2 under the barrel.
    As can be see, the accuracy when using the light and iron sights compares to using the laser/light but the speed is far faster with the laser/light.
    [​IMG]

And the big advantage with a laser is your vison is focused out on the THREAT and not on the gun sights a couple feet in front of yor face.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

In total darkness a light has an obvious advantage. In low light situations I like night sights better. Color me old fashioned but I do not like a weapon mounted light as my primary light.

6. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Just get both... you'll end up doing it anyways. I have both on my Glocks. Different uses for different situations. Nice to have options.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    J.A. 22

7. eboggs

eboggs

Well im in between the SF X300 and Insight WX150...

SF=182 shipped...WX=150 shipped...

Anyone have experience with both? ive seen reviews but not comparing the two...usually its against the TLR's...

the Insight looks like it fits the rail better, but I know Surefires are proven and for 30 bucks more? its tempting....havent heard toooooo much on the insight...also dont like how the rear is plastic, as the latch for the rail. :shocked:

decisions decisions...

8. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

Both. Night sights are a bit more important to me because they are more portable.

I'd pick up some Trijicons and a TLR-1

9. eboggs

eboggs

Well just got off the phone with Opticsplanet....

Got me some Trijicon sights coming....kinda wanted the Mepro's just because ive had em before on a 1911....but they didnt have em in stock so I went witht he Trijicons for 7 bucks more....I think the dots are alittle smaller, and ive only seen trijicons on police trade ins (most were dim from age) So I hope they are just as good as my old mepros were! :dunno:

Gonna hold off on the light for a little. Money is tight and am planning on taking my CCW this month...think thats alittle more important...been wearing it around the house, just itchin to be able to ACTUALLY responsibly carry it out and about...kind of a big deal to me...the responsibility and all. of course im still young so im sure that accounts for some of my excitement:supergrin:

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

11. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Hobbit"

FWIW, I do carry a light with me, strion LED. I do not however have it mounted on my pistol. I do have night sights installed on all my weapons. Should the need arise, I will use my light, but while having it away from any vital parts of my anatomy.

With a weapon mounted light, you have the light essentially even with your head/upper torso. From experience BG's will use this light as a target and aim straight for the light. This is like painting a bulls eye on your head. If a hit is scored on the light, there is a good chance it will be a fatal hit.

I use the light to illuminate a target with the light away from my body, in my hand arm extended towards the ground and away from my body. That way there are no vital organs behind the light source. If a hit is sustained in the hand, you can still stay in the fight.

So when the BG decides to shoot at the light, I now know exactly what I am against, and where he is. That's what the night sights are for, targeting that threat that just gave away it's position. An important rule for anyone who is in a situation where they are scanning or searching for a threat, take your time. This saying holds true in many aspects of shooting, "Speed is fine, Accuracy is final."

This is just what I have seen from my experiences and I am not saying one way is better than the other. I train the way I stated above, and it has worked for me. I also do not use lasers for the same reasoning. That laser works both ways, and the BG knows where that laser is mounted.

In an SRT/SWAT situation, that is something totally different. The dynamics of the situation are different. I had a light mounted on my rifle, but still did not have one on my pistol. TXPO

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. bam1131

bam1131

Glockmeister has Meps in stock. $75. I hear the white outline of the trijicons' tube is painted and will wear off with cleaning solvent.(If I remember correctly) You still have time to cancel your order!

13. bmartin

bmartin

Night sights and light. The light shouldnt be used as a constant source of illumination... makes you a big *** target. Use the light sparingly to illuminate/ID your target w/o completely depleting your night vision. Once the target is IDed, turn the freakin light off and take care of it w/ your sights and move. Strobe is a gimmick IMO. While useful in some situations, it will more than likely have the same effect on you as it does the individual you are trying to disorient.

FWIW, you arent going for 10 ringers... nipples to neck will get the job done. Handheld light IMO, just not a fan of weapon mounted lights but to each their own. I see their place in the world, just not on my Glock ;)

14. eboggs

eboggs

I checked out Glockmeister, Meps are $77..and estimated shipping to my zip was 13 bucks lol...:faint:

15. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Mepro has some of the worst customer service in the industry....and given the industry, that is saying a lot.

16. eboggs

eboggs

Well im gonna cancel my order and look around....ive found the Ameriglo's (GL113's) for a bit less.. have heard these are pretty good?

17. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Put me down for both but.... If you can only have 1---light. No doubt about it. Few reasons:

-At HD distances, just centering the light will probably get you hits
    -What good are night sights if you don't know what they're oriented on
    -The light will provide ambient light which turns your traditional 3 dot sight system into basically a usable notch and blade sight picture

18. 4Rules

4Rules

You want both. When you get around to getting training, you'll probably learn to plan on (momentarily) flashing then (in darkness) moving to a new position and engaging (in darkness).

For things to work, you want both.

19. Rustin

Rustin

Whatever you do, make damn sure you've got a handheld flashlight before anything.

20. scosgt

scosgt

Neither.
    I have night sights on all my Glocks except my new G27 EXO, which came with standard Glock sights.
    I had forgotten how much easier it is to pick up the standard sights in most lighting conditions. In total darkness, I won't be shooting, I'll be hiding if necessary.

When I am working I carry a good Lithium powered LED flashlight. But I would never attach one to a gun because:
    1. You have to point the gun at something to light it up. Not always a good idea.
    2. The light makes a perfect target.
    3. It makes the gun big and unwieldy.
    And the big one:
    Under stress you might push the wrong button and shoot someone instead of lighting them up! Trust me, it happens pretty often.

So yes, I like night sights and have always had them. But for shooting, the standard sights are actually better (easier to see for old folks like me). And most of us will never actually need to be able to see our sights in total darkness.
    BTW, before I retired I wanted night sights because one of our courses of fire was in darkness with red and white strobe lights flashing. Being able to pick up the front sight made a big difference. I would "find" the front sight and just hold steady and shoot. But I don't do that any more, so I don't need to "cheat" with night sights (it was allowed, but compared to guys with standard sights it was sorta cheating).